What's new

Quest for less technology

Faith is really the belief in the best reasonable explanation, given all the evidence, since we can prove very few things. Sorry to get all philosophical on you there.
Gonna disagree with you there pal. Faith is the belief in whatever you feel is best for you regardless of evidence, truth or fact.
Look up the definition of faith and you'll see faith has a couple of versions...neither of which rely on proof.
I am science, fact and truth driven. Our big brain has led us, through curiosity and the need to understand, to where we have explained and proven so many things that used to be explained or interpreted by myths, falsehoods and superstition.
The best science is the stuff that has been rigorously tested and then tested again before being accepted as fact and therefor truth.

Gonna disagree with you there pal. Faith is the belief in whatever you feel is best for you regardless of evidence, truth or fact.
Look up the definition of faith and you'll see faith has a couple of versions...neither of which rely on proof.
I am science, fact and truth driven. Our big brain has led us, through curiosity and the need to understand, to where we have explained and proven so many things that used to be explained or interpreted by myths, falsehoods and superstition.
The best science is the stuff that has been rigorously tested and then tested again before being accepted as fact and therefor truth.
It relies on evidence not proof. We all have faith. I have faith that my car will start when I turn the key based on my previous evidence that it started last time etc. I have faith that my dear wife will not poison me with dinner tonight for life insurance money because my experience and evidence tells me so. Now that does not mean it can be proven. She might want to take me out tonight but I have faith that she will not. There are many many things that we have to belive by faith.

Last edited:
I am a simple man. At least I want to be. The older I am getting the simpler I want to make things. Being an Electrical Engineer maybe it does not make sense, but the less technology the more enjoyable I find it anymore. This is where my journey started into wet shaving.

When I was younger I did start out in the cartridge world, but it was just a chore to shave and I only shaved when I had to. This was maybe every 7-10 days when I started to look like a mountain man and I could not take the itch. Yes I did try to grow a beard a couple of times, but the itch was something I could never get past. Yes I know that once you get past that stage you are fine. Anyways... I do not even know what cartridges I used. Whatever was on sale I guess and some foam or goop in a can.

Once I started working after college I had to be presentable and I started using an electric razor. Norelco and Braun was my weapons of choice. Shaving was just something I did, every morning before work. Fast forward decades. Here I am 50 (end 2022) years old and I want to make life less complicated, less technology centered. Not sure if I made it less complicated though, but I digress. For some unknown reason I decided to get a safety razor. I remember as a child seeing my father shave with one and I thought that they looked cool. The easiest way to acquire one was to go to the large W store and get a KCG razor, so I did along with some Cremo.

I did not do too bad without instructions or pointers (I had not found B&B at the time). Yes I nicked and cut myself, but I would not call it a bloodbath. However, my skin was a bit upset with me. Having only electric shaved for decades it did not like me. Raw would be a good word for it.

More to follow....
-Boris Enjoying reading your journal. A couple of recommendations. Try single edge and injector razors, particularly vintage GEM SEs and Schick injectors. A whole different world than DEs and, in my opinion, a better world. More akin to a straight razor, with a close shave and without the learning curve and high maintenance requirements.

I sort of categorize things in objective truths and subjective truths. I think life is full of both. It would be nice if all humans could agree on objective truths, but our species doesn’t seem to have that capacity. <eg>
I really do not want to get into a philosophical debate here on B&B but..... if we say there is no objective truth that is true always and everywhere I have one question. Are you sure that that is an objectively true statement?

Objective truth is something that has always, is and always will be true. We may suppress that truth but that does not make it any less true.

Last edited:
It relies on evidence not proof. We all have faith. I have faith that my car will start when I turn the key based on my previous evidence that it started last time etc. I have faith that my dear wife will not poison me with dinner tonight for life insurance money because my experience and evidence tells me so. Now that does not mean it can be proven. She might want to take me out tonight but I have faith that she will not. There are many many things that we have to belive by faith.
This is fun. Evidence is proof. I believe my car will start based on experience. Not evidence. I do not have faith in many things at all. Having faith means you have COMPLETE trust and confidence in something or someone. I have my opinions which are based on facts, experience etc. But my opinions can change when presented with other facts, proof etc. You have faith in god, it doesn't matter what I present or what proof I may have to the contrary, you will not accept them because you have faith.

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
sad joaquin phoenix GIF

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I really do not want to get into a philosophical debate here on B&B but..... if we say there is no objective truth that is true always and everywhere I have one question. Are you sure that that is an objectively true statement?

Objective truth is something that has always, is and always will be true. We may suppress that truth but that does not make it any less true.
I couldn’t agree more.

This is fun. Evidence is proof. I believe my car will start based on experience. Not evidence. I do not have faith in many things at all. Having faith means you have COMPLETE trust and confidence in something or someone. I have my opinions which are based on facts, experience etc. But my opinions can change when presented with other facts, proof etc. You have faith in god, it doesn't matter what I present or what proof I may have to the contrary, you will not accept them because you have faith.
Evidence and proof is not the same. Evidence is not 100% true, but points in a certain direction. Evidence is what is presented at a trial.
Proof is 100% true. Proof is not presented during trials. Even a DNA test during a trial is considered evidence and not proof.

My opinions can and will change based on evidence that is presented and that may change my direction. I'm always in pursuit of truth.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
One of the issues is our perception. It doesn’t change Absolute's Truth, but it does affect our approach to or experience of it.

I often quote: Perception is reality……..at least, our own reality which may or may not true. While I believe Absolute Truth exists, I sometimes wonder if humans can experience it fully. Or to what degree?

One of the issues is our perception. It doesn’t change Absolute's Truth, but it does affect our approach to or experience of it.

I often quote: Perception is reality……..at least, our own reality which may or may not true. While I believe Absolute Truth exists, I sometimes wonder if humans can experience it fully. Or to what degree?
Yes indeed our perception does not change absolute truth.

Top Bottom