Quest for less technology

Morning shave - 5/3/24
Razor: RazoRock Mentor
Blade: Derby Premium (4/5) (5)
Soap: BSS #1
Brush: Omega 81052 Banded Boar
Aftershave: Stetson Cooling Moisture
Rating: 9.25/10, DFS++
Slight irritation due to the closeness of the shave. Very much on the verge of being a BBS shave, but I found a couple of places where there was some short stubble left. Still a very easy and pleasant shave.

I think I am getting the hand of setting the alignment for this razor. The last couple of shaves I have been able to line it up well and the two sides of the razors has been very much the same. Still it is a pity that you have to deal with this issue. Again I used the banded boar and bowl lathering and I have to say that I got better lather today. Still I may have to add more water to my lather to get ore slickness. I also used my good ol familiar BSS #1 soap. I loaded the brush as I normally load it with face lathering. That coupled with that I was was using a boar brush meant that I ended up with loads of lather. I probably had enough for five passes. The brush has still not yielded to me and still need more breaking in.

My dear wife made me laugh so hard this morning. When I came out of the bathroom this morning after my shower and shave she said "you put women to shame, getting ready". I guess that I am enjoying my me time shaving. I used to be a 15 min shave and shave kind of guy and now I just relax and take my time. I have a hard time to "just" do a single or a two pass shave if I am shaving. I almost feel like it it unfinished business in a way. I know that if I want to be quicker in the morning that is what I have to do, but it feels wrong to me. Besides doing a two pass and only getting a CCS will hurt my shaving statistic, which brings me to this thing we talked about yesterday. How can we record and look at the data in a fair way.

This topic will be one of mine for a while I think and I think @Guido75 's suggestion of using Z scores is a very good one. I think we can then compare 3 pass, 2 pass and single pass shave that we make and possible also compare some score between each other easier.

Happy shaves everyone!

Morning shave - 5/3/24
Razor: RazoRock Mentor
Blade: Derby Premium (4/5) (5)
Soap: BSS #1
Brush: Omega 81052 Banded Boar
Aftershave: Stetson Cooling Moisture
Rating: 9.25/10, DFS++
Slight irritation due to the closeness of the shave. Very much on the verge of being a BBS shave, but I found a couple of places where there was some short stubble left. Still a very easy and pleasant shave.

I think I am getting the hand of setting the alignment for this razor. The last couple of shaves I have been able to line it up well and the two sides of the razors has been very much the same. Still it is a pity that you have to deal with this issue. Again I used the banded boar and bowl lathering and I have to say that I got better lather today. Still I may have to add more water to my lather to get ore slickness. I also used my good ol familiar BSS #1 soap. I loaded the brush as I normally load it with face lathering. That coupled with that I was was using a boar brush meant that I ended up with loads of lather. I probably had enough for five passes. The brush has still not yielded to me and still need more breaking in.

My dear wife made me laugh so hard this morning. When I came out of the bathroom this morning after my shower and shave she said "you put women to shame, getting ready". I guess that I am enjoying my me time shaving. I used to be a 15 min shave and shave kind of guy and now I just relax and take my time. I have a hard time to "just" do a single or a two pass shave if I am shaving. I almost feel like it it unfinished business in a way. I know that if I want to be quicker in the morning that is what I have to do, but it feels wrong to me. Besides doing a two pass and only getting a CCS will hurt my shaving statistic, which brings me to this thing we talked about yesterday. How can we record and look at the data in a fair way.

This topic will be one of mine for a while I think and I think @Guido75 's suggestion of using Z scores is a very good one. I think we can then compare 3 pass, 2 pass and single pass shave that we make and possible also compare some score between each other easier.

Happy shaves everyone!
I believe Razorock Mentor is the same as Maggard V3A, which I like so much I bought a second one in another finish. It’s also the same head as Yintal Bronze. If you like the razor, perhaps think of getting another copy so you don’t have to deal with alignment issues. They are pretty inexpensive and fantastic shavers.

I believe Razorock Mentor is the same as Maggard V3A, which I like so much I bought a second one in another finish. It’s also the same head as Yintal Bronze. If you like the razor, perhaps think of getting another copy so you don’t have to deal with alignment issues. They are pretty inexpensive and fantastic shavers.
It is a great razor and I am contemplating getting a second head to see if the alignment is better. That you for the information.

I am going to geek out a bit so please excuse me. 🤓 I tried to redo my statistic a bit using Z-scores instead and it was not difficult to do. I redid the pivot table for the blades that I have and the rankings did not change, which they should not do using Z scores. I do the Z score means and std dev based on the number of passes so that the less pass shaves does not effect the overall shave ratings in a negative way.

These numbers has to be looked at a bit different. 0 = average rating. Anything positive is better than average. Likewise anything negative is less than average. A value of 1 is 34% better than average and a value of -1 is 34% worse than average. A value of 2 is 47.5% better than average and a value of -2 is 47.5% worse than average. The shave rating is just the average of the shave comfort and shave quality z-scores. I hope that made sense. The big benefit of Z-score is that no matter what rating scale you use it will normalize it and the range will be normalized as well, which means that it is easier to compare numbers. 🤓
1714742125599.png

I also redid my razor statistic and likewise no major rank changes by switching to Z score based calculations. Mentor dropped a few positions based on recent shaves being included that is all. Very small changes.
1714743430256.png

Last edited:
Super cool statistics Boris! Nice work! I do not track number of passes myself as I ordinarily always do a 3.5 pass shave no matter what. I have had a period of less passes or when I was rushed for time, but my guesstimate is that this will not substantially affects my shave scores because the law of averages is in favour of the 3.5 shave.

For the other part I see this that might require some additional thinking is to control for razor usage too as more observations per individual razor will skew the data in that direction - making the population not normally distributed. Fortunately there are ways of calculating skewness as there are ways to counter the not normality of the population.

I will see myself out now

Guido

Super cool statistics Boris! Nice work! I do not track number of passes myself as I ordinarily always do a 3.5 pass shave no matter what. I have had a period of less passes or when I was rushed for time, but my guesstimate is that this will not substantially affects my shave scores because the law of averages is in favour of the 3.5 shave.

For the other part I see this that might require some additional thinking is to control for razor usage too as more observations per individual razor will skew the data in that direction - making the population not normally distributed. Fortunately there are ways of calculating skewness as there are ways to counter the not normality of the population.

I will see myself out now

Guido
:pipe:Well let me see now. I am not sure that the particular razor usage will come much into play. I think the shave score that we give our shaves will still be normally distributed, especially as the number of records increase regardless of the razor. Actually this is a good thing since we now can compare one particular razor with the other razors that we have and how it performs. As long as our scoring method stays pretty constant across our shaves, which can be a challenge in itself, I think we will be fine.

The reason the number of passes can come into play for me was that I might want to take those quick shave days that I have every week and just do 1 or 2 passes. However, what I have done in essence is change my scoring method(I changed my average shave quality score by doing fewer passes). A 1 or 2 pass shave will almost never measure up to my normal 3 pass shaves in shave quality. To your point though if you just have one here and there it will disappear in the law of averages as long as the sample size is large enough.

I am not sure that the particular razor usage will come much into play.
I see what you mean. It does influence the scoring I guess. Some razors just give better shaves than others. So with the same blade and number of passes would yield different results with one razor compared to another. The more you use the more effective one the higher your statistics will become. That’s what I meant to factor in at least - or try to.

I see what you mean. It does influence the scoring I guess. Some razors just give better shaves than others. So with the same blade and number of passes would yield different results with one razor compared to another. The more you use the more effective one the higher your statistics will become. That’s what I meant to factor in at least - or try to.
Oh absolutely some razors will shave better than others. I do want to capture that. Now if you are concerned about that you can do means and std dev per razor and let them have their own Z score and combine them afterwards. For me if I keep my scale consistent I am good. I want to see those razor to razor variations.

You know what they say about statistics don't you, gentlemen?

So I did software update on my Car, when it was completed.

I get Message on Cars APP, that brakes need service.

Call Dealer with question ad my car has 5,600 miles.

Service guy calls back, he say check message in Car. No Warnings.

Service guy say the APP problems, and he is busy with people calling, same message about breakers.

APP FAILURE =‘s TRCHNOLOGY FAILURE.👎

Top Bottom