Quest for less technology

Evening shave - 3/26/24
Razor: Lord L6
Blade: Tiger Platinum (3)
Soap: BSS #1
Brush: RazoRock Hive 24
Aftershave: Clubman Whiskey Woods
Rating: 9/10, DFS
Shave was a bit easier as compared to the previous one. Still the blade is not sharp enough to get a real close shave it seems. It is not a horrible shave by any means, but things could be better as well. It was a very comfortable shave though. Very smooth, but these annoying straggler whiskers here and there annoys me. Still quite presentable.

Has my expectations of a shave changed this much over the little more than one year that I have been wet shaving? It most definitely has! In the beginning it was a great win to get a weeper free shave and now I am upset over small little straggler whiskers left by my razor. Have I gotten better shaves? Absolutely! Weepers, nicks, cuts are quite rare these days and I get very smooth shaves, for the most part. Of course changing things around still can upset the status quo and throw me into a spiral of irritation and poor shave quality, but they are much less common now. I can handle variations much better now than before.

I am in an unusual situation for me that has not really happened for at least 8-10 months and that is that I will call it quits on a blade. Not because it tears my face up, but because it is too dull for me. Yes I am talking to you Tiger Platinum. I know I could take it for the whole week and if I had it in me I would and it would be fine, but I have places to go, places to see. I know I have a full tuck of these bad boys in my sample kit as well and we will see if I will use them of just pass over them. Not sure yet. They are just not sharp enough out of the wrap. Maybe I could find one of my razors where it would work well, but I do not have the energy to do so and if it is that razor dependent I am not interested either.

Does this mean that I will relinquish my "Blade Agnostic" title? No not at all. I could use this blade for a week if I wanted to, but not this time. So goodbye my little furry friend, but you have to go into the bin.

Happy shaves everyone!

Went to Harbor Freight last night to pick up some odd and ends and I came across the storage containers and I thought that this one might be good to organize my blades a bit better so I picked up one. It probably will save me a bit space as well. Now I do not know how many I will be able to store in one of these and I probably have to go back for another one to fit all of them. I just wanted to see how that would work. Anyone using one of these or similar to store blades?
1711541337854.png

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Went to Harbor Freight last night to pick up some odd and ends and I came across the storage containers and I thought that this one might be good to organize my blades a bit better so I picked up one. It probably will save me a bit space as well. Now I do not know how many I will be able to store in one of these and I probably have to go back for another one to fit all of them. I just wanted to see how that would work. Anyone using one of these or similar to store blades?
View attachment 1818936
I have one of those, but I would need a lot more for my hoard, Boris. ;)

Evening shave - 3/26/24
Razor: Lord L6
Blade: Tiger Platinum (3)
Soap: BSS #1
Brush: RazoRock Hive 24
Aftershave: Clubman Whiskey Woods
Rating: 9/10, DFS
Shave was a bit easier as compared to the previous one. Still the blade is not sharp enough to get a real close shave it seems. It is not a horrible shave by any means, but things could be better as well. It was a very comfortable shave though. Very smooth, but these annoying straggler whiskers here and there annoys me. Still quite presentable.

Has my expectations of a shave changed this much over the little more than one year that I have been wet shaving? It most definitely has! In the beginning it was a great win to get a weeper free shave and now I am upset over small little straggler whiskers left by my razor. Have I gotten better shaves? Absolutely! Weepers, nicks, cuts are quite rare these days and I get very smooth shaves, for the most part. Of course changing things around still can upset the status quo and throw me into a spiral of irritation and poor shave quality, but they are much less common now. I can handle variations much better now than before.

I am in an unusual situation for me that has not really happened for at least 8-10 months and that is that I will call it quits on a blade. Not because it tears my face up, but because it is too dull for me. Yes I am talking to you Tiger Platinum. I know I could take it for the whole week and if I had it in me I would and it would be fine, but I have places to go, places to see. I know I have a full tuck of these bad boys in my sample kit as well and we will see if I will use them of just pass over them. Not sure yet. They are just not sharp enough out of the wrap. Maybe I could find one of my razors where it would work well, but I do not have the energy to do so and if it is that razor dependent I am not interested either.

Does this mean that I will relinquish my "Blade Agnostic" title? No not at all. I could use this blade for a week if I wanted to, but not this time. So goodbye my little furry friend, but you have to go into the bin.

Happy shaves everyone!
Yea, the Tiger fell off after shave number 3, like you it just wasn't sharp enough. I pushed to 5 shaves because I'm sorta hard-headed that way, to follow through on the plan of 5 shaves, especially with the poor reviews this blade got. Now, the Shark Super Stainless is on the opposite end of the spectrum from the Tigers. One of my best blades thus far.

View attachment 1818936
Also, tackle boxes are a good option, I need to head to either Harbor Freight or Academy and check it out.

Yea, the Tiger fell off after shave number 3, like you it just wasn't sharp enough. I pushed to 5 shaves because I'm sorta hard-headed that way, to follow through on the plan of 5 shaves, especially with the poor reviews this blade got. Now, the Shark Super Stainless is on the opposite end of the spectrum from the Tigers. One of my best blades thus far.

Also, tackle boxes are a good option, I need to head to either Harbor Freight or Academy and check it out.
The Tiger drove me a bit crazy. I could have pushed it, but I was thinking why? Let it go. Besides I might give the Parker SoloEdge a spin next. Looking forward to that one. Oh yes the Sharks are nice blades. Now of course I am a bit partial to anything Lord makes.

I made it through my 5 shaves with them, I did feel 5 was pushing it, which I don't feel on any other blade. Since you share the same affinity with Shark blades I may try that one next. I saw mine are made in the Lords factory in Egypt, did you @Balin have the same experience with Lord Super Stainless blades as you did with the Shark and Tigers?
I think I would like the Shark Super Stainless, because I enjoy the Lord Cool and the Racer which are both Stainless. I think I have an aversion to some blade treatments like Chrome and Platinum. Right now I am using the Shark Chrome and they are just sort of meh, but will get a good test today on 2 days growth. The only platinum blades I seem to get along with are Gillette Rubies and Treet Platinums.

Yes I am talking to you Tiger Platinum. I know I could take it for the whole week and if I had it in me I would and it would be fine, but I have places to go, places to see. I know I have a full tuck of these bad boys in my sample kit as well and we will see if I will use them of just pass over them. Not sure yet. They are just not sharp enough out of the wrap.

The Tiger drove me a bit crazy. I could have pushed it, but I was thinking why? Let it go. Besides I might give the Parker SoloEdge a spin next. Looking forward to that one. Oh yes the Sharks are nice blades. Now of course I am a bit partial to anything Lord makes.
That's where I am with Tigers. Why do we have to wait around for 2-3 shaves before they get better. I burned through my sample tuck in 10 shaves, only using the blade for 2 shaves.

There are 2 other blades in the same category for me. Sharp Titanium and Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum that take 2 to 3 shaves to hit their stride for me.

That's where I am with Tigers. Why do we have to wait around for 2-3 shaves before they get better. I burned through my sample tuck in 10 shaves, only using the blade for 2 shaves.

There are 2 other blades in the same category for me. Sharp Titanium and Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum that take 2 to 3 shaves to hit their stride for me.
I wish it was about hitting the stride for me. I do not think it has anything to do with coating for me with the Tigers. It is just not sharp and it was not getting better. It is plainly not sharp enough.

I think I would like the Shark Super Stainless, because I enjoy the Lord Cool and the Racer which are both Stainless. I think I have an aversion to some blade treatments like Chrome and Platinum. Right now I am using the Shark Chrome and they are just sort of meh, but will get a good test today on 2 days growth. The only platinum blades I seem to get along with are Gillette Rubies and Treet Platinums.
I’m fairly convinced Lord makes only three blades: stainless, chrome, and platinum, and then sells them under different names for certain markets.

Top Bottom