What's new

Quest for less technology

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Almost all my razors are in a narrow zone of efficiency. As a result, I can use which ever one I choose on a whim and get great shaves. I have noticed some people have a razor collection with widely varying efficiencies. I doubt that would work well for me.

I still wonder if using the same razor for 5+ months at the beginning of my journey enabled me to build a sound foundation that continues to pay dividends.

Almost all my razors are in a narrow zone of efficiency. As a result, I can use which ever one I choose on a whim and get great shaves. I have noticed some people have a razor collection with widely varying efficiencies. I doubt that would work well for me.

I still wonder if using the same razor for 5+ months at the beginning of my journey enabled me to build a sound foundation that continues to pay dividends.
Same here Kim, all my razors give me great shaves...some are more efficient than others but I can reach for any of them and get a terrific shave.

Evening shave - 4/8/24
Razor: KCG
Blade: Derby Premium (3)
Soap: BSS #1
Brush: RazoRock Hive 24
Aftershave: Clubman Whiskey Woods
Rating: 9.75/10, DFS++
Very similar shave to the previous one, which is not bad. That means it is consistent and that is the ultimate goal in shaving. Plenty close and not a hint of irritation.

Happy shaving everyone!

Morning shave - 4/10/24
Blade: Derby Premium (4)
Aftershave: Osage Rub
Rating: 9.5/10, DFS+
Tried something different this morning by using the electric razor for the first pass, but I have to say that it was not as enjoyable. I then completed the shave with two passes XTG, ATG and I was rewarded with a pleasant shave. No irritation.

Oh the horror! I pulled out the electric razor and charged it. I was thinking that I may have to use it on Friday morning before we go to the airport, because I will have very little time. However, if I have time for a single pass DE shave I will do that. Actually a single pass DE shave is closer than an electric shave. Probably the blades in the electric are really worn.

Anyways, I was too lazy last night to shave so I pushed it off until this morning and since the electric was charged I thought that I would try something different. I have heard somewhere where they used an electric razor for the first pass to get the bulk of the whiskers first and then they went to the DE razor with good results. Since I had the razor out and charged I was like, why not.

It is funny when you have not used an electric for a while how different it is compared to when I used it every day. The funny thing is that my skin felt more sensitive using the electric. It was a very lack luster electric pass. sure it reduced the whiskers a bit, but maybe only to a SAS level if that. I guess my standards for a shave has changed a bit during the past 1.5 year. Onto the DE portion. I lathered up like normal and I decided to do one XTG pass and one ATG pass and those went without hitch. I did end up with a couple of patches of stubble left, but BBS for the most part. Overall it was a smooth, pleasant shave without issues. Do I think that using an electric before the DE passes is worth it? Not as all. As long as you do a WTG pass first you are golden. No need of the trouble of dragging out the electric razor in addition to the regular gear.

Happy shaves everyone!

Last edited:
I've used electrics quite a bit in the past. I always felt they were like belt sanders on my face. Rather than cutting the hair, they eroded away the skin and hair. I had quite the irritation every time.
I think I got the verification on why I left electric razor world. The funny thing is that I did not think that way while using it. I didn't really get irritation from it, but I guess I just came to accept it for what it was. I mean shaving back then was just a chore that I had to do and nothing more. I guess in retrospect you realize how much better your shaves are now. Makes you appreciate your shaving skills that you have gained.

It is funny. Nowadays I am horrified if I do not have at least a decent DFS shave. I am now planning my shaves and when I can do them. For example this thing with the cruise that we are flying out on Friday morning. This is my thinking. I shaved Wednesday morning..... I can shave Thursday morning which is good since I will not have time in the evening since my granddaughter will be arriving then.....hmmm have to leave early on Friday. Might not be enough time for a full shave. I cannot wait until we get to Florida and shave at the hotel. It will be too much stubble by Friday evening. I have to do a quick shave on Friday morning even if it is subpar.

I would never have dreamt of thinking in those terms before. Now I am planning shaves.

Remember how the manufacture of the electric razors said you needed to give your face time to get accustomed to the new way of shaving, and you should use the electric razor exclusively? Looking back, I wonder what the adjustment was, memory fade of the times shaving didn't give us irritation?

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
Remember how the manufacture of the electric razors said you needed to give your face time to get accustomed to the new way of shaving, and you should use the electric razor exclusively? Looking back, I wonder what the adjustment was, memory fade of the times shaving didn't give us irritation?
Time to grind away so much tissue that the nerves are removed.

Morning shave - 4/11/24
Blade: Derby Premium (5)
Aftershave: Lustray Blue Spice
Rating: 9.75/10, DFS++
Cannot stop touching my face this morning. Yep it is that good. Just shy of BBS, but oh so smooth. Nothing more to wish for in a shave than this. Plenty close and very comfortable.

It was a fantastic shave this morning. One of those where you keep going back to the face and rubbing it afterwards. I have to be careful that I do not do that at the office walking around. They may think that I am a bit off. Well after all they probably wouldn't be far off anyways thinking that, but that is a completely different point.

I have packed up most of my stuff for the trip and the last of my shaving stuff will be packed tonight. My razor will get a good clean and tomorrow morning we will be off to Florida for the great big blue. You will not see much of me during our time on the cruise. I usually opt for not purchasing internet access on purpose. It is a great way to disconnect and relax. That is actually one of the things I enjoy the most. I will fill you all in once I get back...

Happy shaves everyone!

Top Bottom