What's new

QED Select Best Badger 24mm

As a first badger, I wanted something 'off the shelf' before moving on to 'prescription'. Something to give me an idea of what badgers are about. The Mühle 21mm silvertip badger before this one didn't cut it for me. This does, it's outstanding. Packed/dense knot that splays perfectly. Soft and luxurious tips. A bliss when face lathering with no unpleasant scratch. Bloomed beautifully in no time. It had a bit of a badger smell that is now almost gone after two shaves about several sacrificial lathers - losing only a few hairs in the process. Handle is straight forward and ergonomic.

Flow through is different. I am used to synthetics doing it effortlessly and I thought it would be the same. From what I read, badgers work otherwise and so, technique must follow. I must confess that I jumped the fence and gave thoughts to going back to synthetic but I've also only used it twice. So relax. I went back to the drawing board, tweak a few things and it's already much better. I wasn't loading properly to begin with. Besides, the natural feel of badger is too good.

All in all, a winner.

IMG_7342.jpg

IMG_7343.jpg

IMG_7344.jpg

As a first badger, I wanted something 'off the shelf' before moving on to 'prescription'. Something to give me an idea of what badgers are about. The Mühle 21mm silvertip badger before this one didn't cut it for me. This does, it's outstanding. Packed/dense knot that splays perfectly. Soft and luxurious tips. A bliss when face lathering with no unpleasant scratch. Bloomed beautifully in no time. It had a bit of a badger smell that is now almost gone after two shaves about several sacrificial lathers - losing only a few hairs in the process. Handle is straight forward and ergonomic.

Flow through is different. I am used to synthetics doing it effortlessly and I thought it would be the same. From what I read, badgers work otherwise and so, technique must follow. I must confess that I jumped the fence and gave thoughts to going back to synthetic but I've also only used it twice. So relax. I went back to the drawing board, tweak a few things and it's already much better. I wasn't loading properly to begin with. Besides, the natural feel of badger is too good.

All in all, a winner.

View attachment 1676923
View attachment 1676922
View attachment 1676924

She's purty! What is the knot size? I'm glad to hear you've had a better experience after the Mühle!

Top Bottom