What's new

QED Brushes -- Thoughts?

Going back and forth between Thäter and Shavemac, I decided to customize one of the latter while looking to acquire something else in the meanwhile. I could get a Thäter but considering the similarities between the two, I thought I would look into something else.

In the meanwhile, this happened - a medium size Mühle silvertip.

IMG_7275.jpg

I thought medium would be 24mm but it's actually 21mm. Too small for me overall (knot and handle). Tried it a first time this morning. Love the feel of badger and it's unlikely I'll go back to fibre. The knot isn't dense enough making it floppy. I also expected a better quality hair (I don't know better so it's likely just an unfounded assumption). I could go a size up L (23mm) or XL (25mm) but I don't know/expect the hair to be different and/or if the knots would be respectively denser.

That said, I came across QED brushes. I am interested in a Select Faux Horn Manchurian Silvertip Badger in either 24mm or 26mm.

Thoughts on that model or QED in general? Should I consider another QED model? I read high praise for the Saville Row but I just can't do the ivory handle. Looking for dense and soft.

Last edited:
Not sure about QED, but Savile Row brushes are made by Shavemac, or at least were in the past. When I visited them they had a full cabinet with SR brushes.

I just happened to be looking at the options for SR brushes a couple days ago and was wondering if they were made by Shavemac given how similar they look.

Going back and forth between Thäter and Shavemac.

I have 3 Thaters, a 22mm 3-band and 24 & 26 2-bands, all with 4125 handles. Great brushes, especially the 2-bands. I always wanted to order a Shavemac, but found ordering a hassle trying to decide on handle and loft. I live near Rudy, so a couple years ago I had Rudy replace a 24mm 3-band knot in a T&H (Rooney 1/2) handle with a Shavemac 2-band. I let Rudy decide the size and loft. It's my #1 brush, with the Thater 2-bands a close second/third.

To avoid confusion, when I wrote "Saville Row", I referred to QED.

Curious: is there an original/dedicated company (in England) making Saville Row brushes?

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
To avoid confusion, when I wrote "Saville Row", I referred to QED.

Curious: is there an original/dedicated company (in England) making Saville Row brushes?

These brushes, Savile Row (silvertip), are made by Shavemac for QED. Not sure what other maker's brushes they offer, and no clue who makes the Manchurian Silvertip brushes.

Going back and forth between Thäter and Shavemac, I decided to customize one of the latter while looking to acquire something else in the meanwhile. I could get a Thäter but considering the similarities between the two, I thought I would look into something else.
I don't think you can go wrong with either Thater or Shavemac. They do not get alot of press here but both are great brush companies with a long history.

I have 3 of each, lol yes I need help. My Thater 3 band 4125/1 is my softest brush and has no issues with hard soaps like Tabac. My Shavemac 3 band D01 22mm set at 46mm loft is probably my densest brush ( favourite ) even compared against a Chubby 2 band. I really like both them for face lathering.
IMG_20230618_190342.jpg

From left to right:
RV Shavemac 2 band 26/50 fan, Shavemac D01 24/50 fan, Shavemac D01 22/46 fan, Thater 4125/1 3 band bulb, Thater 4125/2 2 band bulb, Thater 4670/4 2 band semi bulb.

Lately my preference has been towards 3 band silvertip hair, they are just a bit softer than the 2 band and splay a little easier.

I don't think you can go wrong with either Thater or Shavemac. They do not get alot of press here but both are great brush companies with a long history.

I have 3 of each, lol yes I need help. My Thater 3 band 4125/1 is my softest brush and has no issues with hard soaps like Tabac. My Shavemac 3 band D01 22mm set at 46mm loft is probably my densest brush ( favourite ) even compared against a Chubby 2 band. I really like both them for face lathering.
View attachment 1673144
From left to right:
RV Shavemac 2 band 26/50 fan, Shavemac D01 24/50 fan, Shavemac D01 22/46 fan, Thater 4125/1 3 band bulb, Thater 4125/2 2 band bulb, Thater 4670/4 2 band semi bulb.

Lately my preference has been towards 3 band silvertip hair, they are just a bit softer than the 2 band and splay a little easier.

Beautiful collection and valuable information, thank you for sharing.

Last edited:
I have no inside information at all, but I have certainly noticed that the QED Manchurian Silvertip badger brushes bear a striking resemblance to many of the brushes made by Frank Shaving. Some of the handles are pretty unique and they match the Frank Shaving handles exactly.

I have no inside information at all, but I have certainly noticed that the QED Manchurian Silvertip badger brushes bear a striking resemblance to many of the brushes made by Frank Shaving. Some of the handles are pretty unique and they match the Frank Shaving handles exactly.

Funny you say that. I noticed such similarities too.

View attachment 1673144
From left to right:

FABULOUS line up!! :a29::a29:

QED, when run/owned by Charles(not sure who owns it/runs it now) was an excellent resource for B&B years ago. They made soaps that scent-wise was outstanding. Most of their brushes, as Rudy said were made by Shavemac. Looking at their current line-up, I'm unsure whose brush you would be purchasing.

If you want Manchurian at a reasonable price, look to Zenith-they have a fabulous lineup and various sizes.

marty

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have 3 Thaters, a 22mm 3-band and 24 & 26 2-bands, all with 4125 handles. Great brushes, especially the 2-bands. I always wanted to order a Shavemac, but found ordering a hassle trying to decide on handle and loft. I live near Rudy, so a couple years ago I had Rudy replace a 24mm 3-band knot in a T&H (Rooney 1/2) handle with a Shavemac 2-band. I let Rudy decide the size and loft. It's my #1 brush, with the Thater 2-bands a close second/third.
This would be my suggestion as well..... Have Rudy make you a handle you'll love... or have him reknot one of the handles you love but whose knot is annoying, as long as the diameter is one you'd choose if you bought new.

Rudy reknotted a Red Handle brush I just love but the knot was too soft... It's already made my brush rotation... Two-Band Silvertip.... soft but with gentle scrub. Other people would prefer one of their DO1 offerings or one of the softer overall brushes he stocks from ShaveMac. Rudy will help you figure out the face feel you want, he gets handles made very quickly... and does reknots in a day or so... then another day to set the new knot... Out the door in just a few days.

I have two more reknots from Rudy on the way.... and their delivery has been moved up from Wednesday... to tomorrow. I'm stoked. <eg> evil grin.

And it looks like the 28mm handle Rudy made for me and shipped off to a knot manufacturer is about to ship.... I can't say enough positive things about him, the handles he turns and the knots he installs. And I'm not the only one.... So many people here have one.... two, three or more of his brushes as well as brush handles he has restored..... all with positive feedback on their experiences.

In the meanwhile, this happened - a medium size Mühle silvertip.

View attachment 1673037

I thought medium would be 24mm but it's actually 21mm. Too small for me overall (knot and handle). Tried it a first time this morning. Love the feel of badger and it's unlikely I'll go back to fibre. The knot isn't dense enough making it floppy. I also expected a better quality hair (I don't know better so it's likely just an unfounded assumption). I could go a size up L (23mm) or XL (25mm) but I don't know/expect the hair to be different and/or if the knots would be respectively denser.

That said, I came across QED brushes. I am interested in a Select Faux Horn Manchurian Silvertip Badger in either 24mm or 26mm.

Thoughts on that model or QED in general? Should I consider another QED model? I read high praise for the Saville Row but I just can't do the ivory handle. Looking for dense and soft.
I have a muhle SOPHIST Silvertip badger 23mm.It has high loft low density. Almost no glue bump.Unbleached hair that looks like yours.I hope this helps.

Top Bottom