What's new

Q. for Joel & str8 users

I'm thinking about trying out my first real str8 (I've used shavettes before) and don't want to spend a fortune. I've dealt with this guy before and have had great service. What do you guys think of the "double arrow" he's offering and the strops? I really can't justify the more expensive razors he's offering right now. Or, any suggestions on a $50 or less str8 ?

Thanks in advance!

I'm thinking about trying out my first real str8 (I've used shavettes before) and don't want to spend a fortune. I've dealt with this guy before and have had great service. What do you guys think of the "double arrow" he's offering and the strops? I really can't justify the more expensive razors he's offering right now. Or, any suggestions on a $50 or less str8 ?

Thanks in advance!

I've heard they're crap. The only cheapie (new or new old stock) razor out there worth the $, are the Wapi's - however you'll have to get it honed, so by the time you factor in the cost of the shipping, the honing, etc - it isn't that inexpensive.

Your best bet is to pick up a pre-honed razor in the shaving mall.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
A new razor with a 'buy it now' price under $9 ... no thanks. Like Joel says, pick up a honed razor in the BST mall. If you post a WTB thread there, you'll probably get a few PMs offering razors, or you can watch to see what comes along.

I have actually purchased one of those Chinese "Doube Arrow" straights, out of curiosity. It's not super high quality, but seemed to hone up well. The handle looks like something belonging on a cheap Chinese toy, but the steel in the blade is probably OK. The edge was a bit uneven on mine, though, but after I honed it up I shaved with it and got an OK shave.

However... I would recommend buying a shave ready straight in the B/S/T forum here. That way you know you get something which is truly shave ready.

/Nicholas

A new razor with a 'buy it now' price under $9 ... no thanks. Like Joel says, pick up a honed razor in the BST mall. If you post a WTB thread there, you'll probably get a few PMs offering razors, or you can watch to see what comes along.

+1 stay away from those str8, you will only have a bad experience. Like Joel said look for a shave ready str8 in BST Forum

The Wapienicas come from this same seller. His screen name is Wojtec76 and he gives them a light honing before shipment. You could look him up at straightrazorplace.com the shipping is quick and the blade comes shave ready - with the caveat that you'll probably need to touch it up a bit more and strop it. Lynn at SRP also keeps some of these back for new guys and of course he hones them up beautifully before shipping out - his screen name over there is AdjustMe69 . These are bargain priced and great shavers. I would say the BST or the Wapis are the way to go - and you really should try a Wapi now or later - they're just a really great razor at a cheap price. Good luck!

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I ended up with one off of "that auction site." See my "I took the plunge" thread for the link.

Top Bottom