What's new

Push Notifications

You can manage that in your preferences: click on your username top right, and then preferences:

push.jpg

What is a Push Notification and why doesn't the pop up bar across the bottom believe me when I tell it I don't want one and to quit asking?
When you don't have push notifications, you will have to refresh the B&B web page to see events such as a new private message, or an alert on a thread you have subscribed to.

With push notifications, you will get pop-up indications right away when such events have occurred.

You can enable or disable them in your profile (as @silverlifter showed).

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
n+1 :p

Are you clearing your cookies? That's the only reason I can think of that you'd have to keep clicking.
Yup.
If you're in the habit of clearing tracking information, or utilize a browser or software that prevents resident cookies, then the system has no way of knowing you ever answered, so it says, "Oh, I have to ask this guy, we never asked him before". so it asks again.
You have to choose which is less annoying, having cookies or having pop ups.

As silverlifter said, most folks don't want a website managing their computer permissions.

The website doesn't need to manage computer permissions. A simple opt-out setting for push notifications in your profile would resolve the issue entirely for a lot of people. Then the question to allow them can only be shown to people who have not opted out.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The website doesn't need to manage computer permissions. A simple opt-out setting for push notifications in your profile would resolve the issue entirely for a lot of people. Then the question to allow them can only be shown to people who have not opted out.
Well, work out the programming necessary and send it in and we'll have IT look it over.

Well, work out the programming necessary and send it in and we'll have IT look it over.

That's about one of the most condescending ways you could have replied.

If your goal is to stubbornly keep the website obnoxiously archaic as the wider trends of the internet move away from heaps of resident cookies, then I suppose this attitude will serve you well.

If your goal is to stubbornly keep the website obnoxiously archaic as the wider trends of the internet move away from heaps of resident cookies, then I suppose this attitude will serve you well.

I disagree, on two counts. First, someone has to do the non-trivial work of patching the site to work they way you want. Just demanding it happen and then expecting it to be done is not going to progress that.

Two: please link to a credible source detailing the "wider trend of the internet to move away from cookies". And by credible, I mean something other than from Google who clearly have a lot of skin in that game...

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

Thanks for your input.
Someone has to do the work to accomplish what you suggest.
Your post seemed expert enough that I thought you might actually have an idea on how to accomplish it, and get it done.
Apparently I read it wrong, and I'll chalk this up to just another guy making suggestions on how we can improve his experience on the site while providing no contribution or help to accomplish what he desires.

Did something change with push notifications recently? Within the past week or so it says my device is not supported. I’m using safari on iOS 16.2

B8539089-3579-4FFE-9EBD-D1074D7C3C46.jpeg

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Thanks for your input.
Someone has to do the work to accomplish what you suggest.
Your post seemed expert enough that I thought you might actually have an idea on how to accomplish it, and get it done.
Apparently I read it wrong, and I'll chalk this up to just another guy making suggestions on how we can improve his experience on the site while providing no contribution or help to accomplish what he desires.
If I had a copy of the source code for the forum, I could contribute but I expect that that is copyrighted and not available to the B&B management. Hence, my contribution to this thread was a suggestion only that could be passed on to the maintainers of the source code.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
If I had a copy of the source code for the forum, I could contribute but I expect that that is copyrighted and not available to the B&B management. Hence, my contribution to this thread was a suggestion only that could be passed on to the maintainers of the source code.
I didn't think source code was necessary but a straightforward reply on how the task was possible with the current software would prevent having to research if it was even possible and provide a basic starting point to save some manhours.
If someone is not familiar enough to do that, then they are not familiar enough to say it can even be done with any authority.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I didn't think source code was necessary but a straightforward reply on how the task was possible with the current software would prevent having to research if it was even possible and provide a basic starting point to save some manhours.
If someone is not familiar enough to do that, then they are not familiar enough to say it can even be done with any authority.
I very much doubt that it can be done with the "current software", meaning the program that is used by the admin to adjust the options that the source code allows them to adjust. I am very familiar with some forum "current software" having been an admin on a few forums over the decades.

My suggestion was one to be made to the source code maintainer(s). Such suggestion to the source code maintainer(s) is probably best coming from a client using the software.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I very much doubt that it can be done with the "current software", meaning the program that is used by the admin to adjust the options that the source code allows them to adjust. I am very familiar with some forum "current software" having been an admin on a few forums over the decades.

My suggestion was one to be made to the source code maintainer(s). Such suggestion to the source code maintainer(s) is probably best coming from a client using the software.
This is something that is going to be pretty far down the priority list when tasking is determined for IT to accomplish what needs to be done.
There's a lot of stuff that we'd rather see done first with the time that is allotted to us than working an end run around how a guy can seamlessly avoid cookies.
That's why I made the comment about someone proposing the way they would do it.
So, barring some unique input, this is pretty much a dead issue.

Top Bottom