What's new

Purchasing New Razor

Hi guys

For the past few months, I've been the proud owner of a PRC leviathan straight razor. It's a great blade, works wonderfully, but now I'm interested in buying a second straight. I've been debating whether I should go back with PRC or with a different company, a different kind of aesthetic.

One razor I'm considering strongly is Brian Brown Razor Works. His blades get great reviews here on the forum. If I do go that way, I'll have to go the customization route. This is the hardest part for me, deciding exactly what kind of blade and scales to get. I'm thinking 6/8, Spanish point, and maybe black horns (?). I don't know, I just know that I want a great razor that will most likely be my last razor purchase.

Do you guys recommend BBRW? I keep reading that he makes an excellent edge. Any other recommendations? And when it comes to customizing the razor and choosing a set of scales, any advice on those things?

Plus, another quick question: I've noticed some water spots and a little rust on my PRC razor. I've had the razor for a few months now. Is this inevitable or can this kind of thing be prevented? I do rinse off my blade to get off the lather during my shave. And I guess I used to just let my razor sit open, on the bathroom counter, to air dry after a shave, before wiping it off with a towel. I guess in retrospect this was a mistake. I also don't oil my blade. Anyways, any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong and what do you guys suggest regarding razor maintenance.

Thanks!

Well i would just say go with what looks appealing to you.....i assure you that it wont be your last razor because they are like chips, one or 2 are never enough...lol.

You shouldn't need to oil it unless stored for a long time. But you should wipe the water off of it after rinsing it however. The standing water on it is most likely what is causing your rust issues.

Good luck with the just one more razor thing:lol:. They keep popping up at my house. Seriously if you are trying to get just one more take your time. Look around at different custom makers and manufacturers and make sure to get exactly what you want. As far as oiling razors, there are many who don't, but IMHO it's pretty cheap and quick insurance. I dry my razor immediately after my last pass, then strop, dry again with a tissue, and then oil and put away. I use gun oil because I have it laying around. You can use motor oil, vasaline, pretty much anything that repels water will work.

I rinse my blade in hot water; wipe it down with a hot / damp face cloth; dry / floss the scales with tissue paper; and wipe down the blade with tissue paper. I don't oil razors that are in regular rotation. Instead of oil, I place the razor in a silicone sleeve (after it has cooled down outside the bathroom) and place it in an open cigar box inside a dresser drawer. Water is the enemy of shiny steel.

First thing you do after a shave is DRY OFF YOUR RAZOR!

Before you wash your face
Before you put on aftershave
Before you admire how damn handsome you are in the mirror

Dry your razor!!!

+1....what Seraphim said.
Existing damage may be cleared up with a judicious use of Flitz or Simichrome applied and buffed on the affected area.
Brian Brown Razors are among the best
Custom/semi-custom blades available. Well worth the purchase. Spanish point is great but I prefer his French point. Brian's horn scales are reportedly spectacular. My BRW razors have G10 or acrylic scales and they are fine by me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom