What's new

Proraso - what's the hype?

How is the Wood and Spice?
Tried the Cypress and Vetyver this morning and really enjoyed it very much..pre shave, shave and post shave lotion.
It lingers for a few hours ever so faintly, very clean scent with great lubrication.
I don't know it's better than any of the other offerings, however, and would say if anything I get a slightly better shave with the sensitive version.
I really wanted the Azur Lime but the pre shave just does not come back in stock and I want the matching set(call me anal whatever but I'm like that with Proraso for some reason)
It’s probably my favorite of the Proraso products that I’ve tried. It’s a fairly strong scent that lingers for awhile. Definitely has great slickness especially when used with the pre shave

Proraso Green and Red are all I use now. I've made a point over the last few years to consolidate my shaving routine to just a few tried and true items. No more RAD, CAD, SAD, BAD, etc. I PIFd a bunch of stuff to my kids recently so now I only use the following...

Rex Ambassador
Simpsons or Omega Synthetic brush (The Omega is when I load from a Proraso tub)
Gillette 7oclock/Personna Comfort Coated blades
and
Proraso Green or Red

Why mess with success?

Mike

I completely agree with you for what its worth. It is a mediocre at best performing product that is by design supposed to be cheap. It is legitimately the Arko equivalent of Italy. The ingredient list is awful, the scents outside of the original green and red are extremely synthetic (imo) and again the amount needed to get a good lather (for me) is higher than many other products and even when this extra amount is used, what I get is just ok. It is however, the first every shaving soap I used and the aftershaves and styptic gel are excellent. Genuinely high quality products. I figure most people over-hype it because of nostalgia and it looks good having complete sets in SOTD's. Not many brands you can have brush, razor, bowl, pre-shave, soap, AS, balm, talc, and EdT in.
Doesn’t even compare to Arko…

I completely agree with you for what its worth. It is a mediocre at best performing product that is by design supposed to be cheap. It is legitimately the Arko equivalent of Italy. The ingredient list is awful, the scents outside of the original green and red are extremely synthetic (imo) and again the amount needed to get a good lather (for me) is higher than many other products and even when this extra amount is used, what I get is just ok. It is however, the first every shaving soap I used and the aftershaves and styptic gel are excellent. Genuinely high quality products. I figure most people over-hype it because of nostalgia and it looks good having complete sets in SOTD's. Not many brands you can have brush, razor, bowl, pre-shave, soap, AS, balm, talc, and EdT in.
Yes, it has to be overloaded to perform well. That took me a while to figure out.

its Hype is!
Proraso is a brand that has a great history in Italian barbering
I can't compare the Turkish barber with the Italian one "I'm talking about the history of barbering"
I would add that thanks to brands like Proraso, classic barbershop continues to exist...otherwise it wouldn't
Excuse me Sir

Last edited:
Proraso works best when you use the pre shave oil with the cream. At that point you might as well buy a puck if Arko, since it’s cheaper and need no pre shave.

That’s why I like Arko. Plus it’s cheaper and fits in my Old Spice mug.
I use Arko with satisfaction like using Proraso
I'm not rooting for one or the other
But I'm Italian, I can't help but use a Proraso, it's the story of the barber, I'm sorry but that's how it is 😁

For example, I recommend using a Proraso cream instead of the bowl
I use the Proraso travel kit when I’m traveling, so I can pack light. It works well and fits in my shave dop. I understand why you primarily use Proraso, being your Italian. It’s cheaper for y’all to buy it in Italy. Here in the states it usually cost about $10 US dollars(which isn’t terrible compared to other brands that cost way more.) Seems most of the budget shave soaps brands have been discontinued here in the states as other brands have become popular. But then again, many still use Barbasol(which is a few dollars) and available in nearly every store.

Last edited:
I use Proraso in a tube once in a while. I put about 3/4 of an inch into a bowl and whip up a good lather with my synthetic brush. I find Proraso to be just average. La Toja in a tube is a better product IMO. They all get the job done. YMMV

Since coming back to B&B after a few years...and finding out about the demise of Williams... I've picked up a bowel of Proraso Green soap/croap and a tube of the cream. I used the C.O. Bigelow cream a few years ago, and liked it.

I'm really liking the shaves I've gotten with the croap. (two partial, just manicuring my beard for winter). And it's a lot of product for $10.

Top Bottom