What's new

Proraso: What Improves On It?

An odd title perhaps, but I hope a simple concept. Thus far, I've predominantly used Proraso shave creams. I've tried VdH Deluxe soap, and a small sample of the AoS cream, but Proraso has been number 1. I have nothing bad to say about Proraso. It lathers easy, and I have no trouble shaving with it. But, I ask myself as my supply is dwindling, am I missing something? Thus this post.

What I'm asking is, can those of you who have used Proraso (any color....just state it) let me know what you PREFER to Proraso and WHY. They why being the big factor. And it could be any Proraso product, and any replacement (pre-shave, balm, soap, cream, etc). I'm just looking for options to try next and what I should expect with the new option. Again, just let me know which product you are comparing it too.

Example:
AoS Sandalwood Scent > Proraso Red
(Insert name) Glide > Proraso (insert flavor)
(Insert name) Protection > Proraso (Insert flavor)

I hope this can be a good learning experience for everyone, and perhaps make some of us stop and think WHY we really prefer one product to another. This is NOT meant to be Proraso bashing. But if you must, I reckon you must.....

I've been using Proraso white for years, and yet to find better really.

I've found similar, same, different scents, slickness, very similar but different feel to then. Overall, I use other soaps and a few creams just to do a small change in my routine.

This includes Williams, Old spice cream, GADA cream, Wilikinson.

Price for value, Proraso are very good products. I have recently started using the Blue cream, which has unseated Green as my favorite Proraso product. I use Proraso pre-shave before every shave - again great value.

I have Castle Forbes Lavender ($$) shave cream & TOBS Sandalwood shave cream's for comparison. Of the 4 creams I have in my possession, I rate them in quality as follows:

CF
P-Blue
P-Green
TOBS

TOBS produces great cream, just irritates my skin.... As always YMMV.

I pick up 6 large tubes of Proraso (labled Bigelow) green when on sale 2-for-1 at the mall. 3 for me and 3 for gifts. I shave with straights and love the ease of quickly making slick, slick lather. My other go-to is Cella. I get a 1 kilo brick and share about 2/3. It takes slightly longer but also makes slick, protective lather. Both leave my face feeling great.

Marty

Price for value, Proraso are very good products. I have recently started using the Blue cream, which has unseated Green as my favorite Proraso product. I use Proraso pre-shave before every shave - again great value.

I have Castle Forbes Lavender ($$) shave cream & TOBS Sandalwood shave cream's for comparison. Of the 4 creams I have in my possession, I rate them in quality as follows:

CF
P-Blue
P-Green
TOBS

TOBS produces great cream, just irritates my skin.... As always YMMV.

Thanks for your response. Could you state what it is that has you put Castle Forbes above the Proraso products?

Biotique bio palmyra - This is one of the best creams I have used to date. A must try in my opinion.

Similar question, what reason would you provide for the Biotique being above Proraso. Scent? Glide?

I tend to be a "if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it" kinda guy. So I'm specifically looking for what the improvement over Proraso may be, even if slight. In addition, I see it as a building block for my own understanding. Similar to reading review for a quality whiskey/beer, and trying to pick up on the various scents/flavors that are described.

Proraso is slick and protective, yes, but you'll get better post-shave feel from Mike's, CRSW, Mystic Water, et al.

I mainly buy Proraso due to its affordability. As for performance and protection, I find it slightly better then TOBS, but I can get quite decent shaves with that brand as well.

I'm a Proraso fan as well and I don't know that there's anything that performs better at their price point so why pay more? If you are looking to try something different, you'd probably like Musgo Real. I found it's performance to be as good as Proraso.

I've used Proraso green cream before. However I do generally prefer soaps as I feel these are generally slicker than the creams I've tried. But, Cyril R. Salter creams are slicker and offer a better post shave feel in my opinion than Proraso green. On par with almost any soap I've tried. And you can't beat the price for the quantity of product you get in a tub.

I love Proraso Blue for what it does for their price and value. All I care is a great shaving cream that provides enough slickness, as well as easy to do bowl lathering as It does for my sensitive skin. It's a top notch for its price. That's all I care about.

I used Proraso Blue regularly due to performance, scent and price, but am a convert to Cella for the same three reasons amplified.

Thanks for your response. Could you state what it is that has you put Castle Forbes above the Proraso products?

Similar question, what reason would you provide for the Biotique being above Proraso. Scent? Glide?

I tend to be a "if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it" kinda guy. So I'm specifically looking for what the improvement over Proraso may be, even if slight. In addition, I see it as a building block for my own understanding. Similar to reading review for a quality whiskey/beer, and trying to pick up on the various scents/flavors that are described.

Castle Forbes is an absolute pleasure to lather. I get thick effortless lather using half the amount of Proraso product. Post shave skin nourishment is where CF outdoes Proraso (For me). I love the smell of the Lavender essential oils, and it provides a very comfortable/slick shave. Of the 4 creams I listed above, CF gets me my closest shave.

In a few years time, when I have tried more creams and soap shaving products, CF could be one of the few products I settle on in permanent rotation. Get a sampler, you wont regret it.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I started with CO Biglow (Proraso Green) and Omega (a Proraso-made croap similar to Green), but have moved on to tallow soaps like Cella. I think Cella is better than Proraso Green in just about every way - cushion, slickness, post-shave feel.

I'm a Proraso fan. I've gone through several tubs of green, white and red. They're all great. I would put Proraso Red at the top due to the post shave feel. It takes a bit more effort to lather the red (needs more water) but it's worth it. I'm down to a quarter tub of just Proraso white, at the moment. I've never tried the Proraso blue due to my preference for soaps/croaps.

This is a good post. :thumbup1: Honestly, i know from my experience, i use Proraso Green (my fave), White and Red, and love them all. The other really fantastic one to try in this line of Italian soaps/croaps, is CELLA! Totally worth it. An awesome one to try.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Proraso is a fine cream - I have the green and the blue (but much prefer the scent of the blue). For out of pocket money it would be very difficult to do better.

Castle Forbes is in a different class. Quicker, thicker lather with about half the product required. Better post shave face feel and easier clean up. Scent is mild but delightful. Ultimate Comfort is not quite as good at the CF, but offers the same advantages.

You wouldn't expect an $11 cream to be the equal of a $38 cream - even given the considerably larger CF tub. Because of the difference in the amount of product required (and size of the tub) my reality is that the CF cost less than a cent a day more than the Proraso. For me that's a total no-brainer. That doesn't mean it is for you. Proraso is a fine cream and many use it virtually every day with great success.

I use Proraso green, and have find the same quality (slickness, cushion, protection, appealing scent) in other products:

Truefitt & Hill Rose cream
Tabac soap
TOBS Eton College cream
TOBS Avocado cream
Arko soap
GFT Spanish Leather cream
Spieck

Top Bottom