What's new

Proraso - I get the hype!

You probably read the 'Proraso - what's the hype?' post of last week. That came to be after shaving once with the Proraso Green (Verde for you @Marco) and lathering the rest of the line (Red, Blue, White, Azur Lime and Cypress & Vetiver) for scent. Using an almond size equivalent of the Green, I was left scratching my head - what's the hype? I was not impressed. With that mindset, the shave went normal, though the post-shave was great.

The next day, we went to visit family out of state for the 4th. I took with me several loads of extra tubes I had to give away. My brother, a cousin and a brother-in-law, none had tried Proraso, texted/called me wondering what was wrong with me. They all absolutely loved it. I clearly wasn't seeing this through and so, upon returning home, I was set to leave no stone unturned.

The setup for a second shave with Proraso (Green) was the R41 GS, QED Best and a (used once) Voskhod blade. I used the two inches worth of cream. I was once again left scratching my head; this time at the opposite end of the spectrum. After spending more time (and by that I mean 30 second more) swirling the brush in the bowl, the lather was plaster thick. I added drops of water as I would go while face lathering. After three full passes, the lather simply would not die, neither on the skin or in/on the brush. Everything else I've used so far would, to a different extent, dry out but not this cream. I don't know what's the magic behind it. I had enough to go few more times. Overall performance (cushion, glide, protection) and post-shave were nothing short of spectacular. The skin was soft for hours (used nothing else). The scent is also, and in some odd ways for me, addicting. Odd because I tend to avoid anything mentholated. This feels different.

The setup for the third shave was the same expect for the blade: new Feather. Lately, the R41 GS/Feather combination has not been the most comfortable for me. To a point where I can barely finish a second pass. With this cream, I comfortably finished a full three passes and irritation was reduced by easily three quarter. While the cream's post-shave did its thing, I had to apply a moisturizer.

The setup for the fourth shave (today) was nearly the same expect for the blade (Rapira Lux) and the cream (Proraso Single Blade Cypress & Vetiver). I read there isn't much difference between the regular Proraso creams and the Single Blade line but I would disagree to some extent. It's thicker out of the tube and quite a bit more once lathered. It's truly impressive. The shave was as comfortable as it can be.

How does it compare to other creams/soaps: I'll just say that I'll take Proraso over AdP, SMN and MdC (to name some of the higher end stuff I tried).

All in all, I was preemptive and unfair in my judgement of Proraso. I get the 'hype'. It's cheap, accessible and it works great consistently. The little to no need of 'tuning' is another advantage - squeeze, lather and go. The scents are all growing on me as well. I've always liked the Green and I would be happy to only use that. Cypress & Vetiver is also excellent. I have yet to shave with the Blue, Red, White and Lime.

Forza Proraso!

Last edited:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
You probably read the 'Proraso - what's the hype?' post of last week. That came to be after shaving once with the Proraso Green (Verde for you @Marco) and lathering the rest of the line (Red, Blue, White, Azur Lime and Cypress & Vetiver) for scent. Using an almond size equivalent of the Green, I was left scratching my head - what's the hype? I was not impressed. With that mindset, the shave went normal, though the post-shave was great.

The next day, we went to visit family out of state for the 4th. I took with me several loads of extra tubes I had to give away. My brother, a cousin and a brother-in-law, none had tried Proraso, texted/called me wondering what was wrong with me. They all absolutely loved it. I clearly wasn't seeing this through and so, upon returning home, I was set to leave no stone unturned.

The setup for a second shave with Proraso (Green) was the R41 GS, QED Best and a (used once) Voskhod blade. I used the two inches worth of cream. I was once again left scratching my head; this time at the opposite end of the spectrum. After spending more time (and by that I mean 30 second more) swirling the brush in the bowl, the lather was plaster thick. I added drops of water as I would go while face lathering. After three full passes, the lather simply would not die, neither on the skin or in/on the brush. Everything else I've used so far would, to a different extent, dry out but not this cream. I don't know what's the magic behind it. I had enough to go few more times. Overall performance (cushion, glide, protection) and post-shave were nothing short of spectacular. The skin was soft for hours (used nothing else). The scent is also, and in some odd ways for me, addicting. Odd because I tend to avoid anything mentholated. This feels different.

The setup for the third shave was the same expect for the blade: new Feather. Lately, the R41 GS/Feather combination has not been the most comfortable for me. To a point where I can barely finish a second pass. With this cream, I comfortably finished a full three passes and irritation was reduced by easily three quarter. While the cream's post-shave did its thing, I had to apply a moisturizer.

The setup for the fourth shave (today) was nearly the same expect for the blade (Rapira Lux) and the cream (Proraso Single Blade Cypress & Vetiver). I read there isn't much difference between the regular Proraso creams and the Single Blade line but I would disagree to some extent. It's thicker out of the tube and quite a bit more once lathered. It's truly impressive. The shave was as comfortable as it can be.

How does it compare to other creams/soaps: I'll just say that I'll take Proraso over AdP, SMN and MdC (to name some of the higher end stuff I tried).

All in all, I was preemptive and unfair in my judgement of Proraso. I get the 'hype'. It's cheap, accessible and it works great consistently. The little to no need of 'tuning' is another advantage - squeeze, lather and go. The scents are all growing on me as well. I've always liked the Green and I would be happy to only use that. Cypress & Vetiver is also excellent. I have yet to shave with the Blue, Red, White and Lime.

Forza Proraso!
My friend, only wise men have the humbleness to admit a mistake and the courage to publicly declare it. I bow before you and my hat is off, Sir.

361660126_3458519691143802_4941133725483187759_n.jpeg

The choice is difficult this morning, but as it is hot I will take the green!

@Golden_Edge Ok now for something that will blow your mind, put away the brush and bowl, forget that you actually need lather, suspend all disbelief and try Jack Black Beard Lube. If you don’t know Jack Black it is a mens’ only high end cosmetics company.

No lather, hardly even perceptible on the face but slick as slick can be. It is basically an oil emersion and almost all natural. You use about a quarter’s worth of it. I dare you 😂

Blue is the cat's meow!
Blue is by far my favorite. I've said it many times, it is a top tier cream, top notch cream, hiding in an $8 tube. I could easily use it exclusively and did for a while (I think I've used a dozen or so tubes via 3017). It's the only cream I've used in the past few years when a cream is up in my 3017 rotation.

Green second, it's a great summer cream.

White, if there was no other choice

Red, can't do it. The scent is too strong for me and I'm not a fan of it.

Blue is by far my favorite. I've said it many times, it is a top tier cream, top notch cream, hiding in an $8 tube. I could easily use it exclusively and did for a while (I think I've used a dozen or so tubes via 3017). It's the only cream I've used in the past few years when a cream is up in my 3017 rotation.

Red is nice in the winter but yeah that sandalwood 😊

@Golden_Edge Ok now for something that will blow your mind, put away the brush and bowl, forget that you actually need lather, suspend all disbelief and try Jack Black Beard Lube. If you don’t know Jack Black it is a mens’ only high end cosmetics company.

No lather, hardly even perceptible on the face but slick as slick can be. It is basically an oil emersion and almost all natural. You use about a quarter’s worth of it. I dare you 😂

Dare accepted! I've seen the Jack Black products around but didn't think much of it. I placed an order for the smaller size tube. It will be here Monday and I'll use it in the next shave.

Looking at its ingredients, I see it's got oils like Jojoba and Macademia which I think is why it appears to work so well. Coincidentally, my all time favorite soap (more of a dense cream), for scent and performance, is the Officina Artigiana Milano Oli del Benessere (and Najran); also high in oils (Jojoba, Argan, Castor, Almond and Grapeseed).

Last edited:

Do you recommend skipping their JB Supreme Cream Lather and going straight to the JB Beard LUBE?

I've only used Red & White (I use red aftershave everyday)!
What does the Blue smell like?
The other 3 show the main (scent) ingredient on the tube. The blue doesn't!

I used the Proraso Blue for the first time today. I agree it's top-tier performance. The scent was very pleasant. Smelling it from the opening of the tube reminded me of sweetened black ice tea - go figure. Once lathered, it reminded me, at a very far distance, of some of Bleu de Chanel's (EDT version) notes.

The Green, Cypress & Vetiver and the Blue, in that order, are so far my favorite.

I shaved with the Azur Lime once so far. The lime scent is there but it's not primary and somehow, it reminded me, again at a far distance, of some of Aqua di Gio's notes.

I haven't tried the Red, White or Wood & Spices yet but they are next in line

I've only used Red & White (I use red aftershave everyday)!
What does the Blue smell like?
The other 3 show the main (scent) ingredient on the tube. The blue doesn't!

I find the Blue hard to describe but it's very nice. As stated in my previous post, I get sweet black ice tea from the tube and a different experience once lathered - still sweet but with more complexity. Something floral (jasmine like) and a touch of wood (cedar like).

I find the Blue hard to describe but it's very nice. As stated in my previous post, I get sweet black ice tea from the tube and a different experience once lathered - still sweet but with more complexity. Something floral (jasmine like) and a touch of wood (I would say dry cedar).
I just looked and they state it's Lime?
But you're not picking up any lime scent. I guess I can try it then if that's the case.
I don't like anything citrus!
The only other one that I've been curious about is the Yellow Wood & Spice. Since I like
Sandalwood, musk, leather etc.., it's the only one that seems compatible with my scent profile.

I just looked and they state it's Lime?
But you're not picking up any lime scent. I guess I can try it then if that's the case.
I don't like anything citrus!
The only other one that I've been curious about is the Yellow Wood & Spice. Since I like
Sandalwood, musk, leather etc.., it's the only one that seems compatible with my scent profile.

I don't want to mislead you but I sensed no citrus at all with the Blue, even less so lime (or lemon). I get sweetness, tea leaves and jasmine with a very light woody background (it's faint enough that it could not be detected). I should also mention that it tingles very lightly due to the presence of menthol in the ingredients.

Since you like sandalwood, musk and leather, you will like Wood & Spice. I have not shaved with it but the scent I get out of the tube fits your bill.

I'm with ya on the Red, spice isn't my thing at all --- the others are muy bueno. I have the Cypress & Vetiver and Azure Lime waiting for me to make room in the cabinet

Top Bottom