What's new

Products that did not work for you

I approach anything new I try with an open mind. I do, of course, rely on what others have said here and elsewhere for mentioning things I possibly will object to, and I just don't order them. Sandalwood products are perfect example; I know I won't like them, so I never try. But I always remember that MMMV.

Blades are different. The only way to find out what worked best for me was to slowly work my way through a blade sampler pack.

I have pushed a few products out of the den: Thayer's witch hazel, various artisan soaps, TOBS lavender cream, Coates creams, several Geo. F. Trumper creams, from a sample pack.

But the ones I have kept! Much more fun to use and think about those.

Derby, elios, polsilver and classic for blades.
Uk tech for razors and vulfix turn back super badger for brush.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Personna Reds tear me up. So do Gillette Black 7 O'Clocks. Le Pere Lucien soap performs great for me and smells wonderful except it burns my face after a little bit. Martin de Candre also dries me out and burns slightly if I use it for a full 3 passes but the performance is so good that I still use it. MWF is just okay for me, not a great shaving soap as many consider it to be in my use.

Proraso Green cream - skin irritation
TOBS Jermyn Street cream - skin irritation
Balea Sensitive cream - refused to lather
TFS Zagara e Gelsomino - good soap, but scent has too much sweetness, and is too strong
ARKO Adventure AS - caused me a headache
Boots shave stick - nauseating scent, mediocre lather

Arko - It simply stinks and I will not put that on my face regardless of performance
Geo F Trumper Sandalwood soap...........This stuff smells amazing but is the worst lathering soap I have ever encountered. not to mention there customer service was awful, arrogant and just plain not helpful.

Oh yes, I blocked the abominable performance of the GFT soaps out of my mind, it seems. Unfortunately the latherability of their soaps is a disgrace for the brand!

Flying Eagle Chinese blades - Just sharp enough to grab and pull all of the hair out by the root but not sharp enough to actually cut through it.

Saint Charles Shave Lime shave soap - I liked it but it didn't like me. The soap was really nice and a good performer but I got a burning sensation from the lime oils in it so I guess this one just isn't for me.

Arko - It simply stinks and I will not put that on my face regardless of performance

I'm an Arko lover but I'd seriously recommend you put in a drop of your favourite essence, and give it a go. The lather and subsequent shave is fantastic at any price point.

Gillette yellows, feathers rougher than a cob
t&h 1805 AS no healing at all
Arko AS greasy
Arko cream better smell than the stick but not nearly as good

I'm an Arko lover but I'd seriously recommend you put in a drop of your favourite essence, and give it a go. The lather and subsequent shave is fantastic at any price point.
Won't work for face lathering, I guess.

But fortunately there are enough great soaps besides ARKO!

Ok, get your point although Arko is probably better for face lathering. Mentioned it before but it never costs me a penny as I get a dozen from Turkey every year via the folks. Beats a fake watch anyday,

Feather blades, great anticipation but after trying them for a while they just don't work for me

Feather blades inspired me to compose a limerick in a previous thread:

Feathers

The first shave cuts me to shreds
The second fills me with dread
By the time for the third
The blade turns to merde
To reveal the steel totally dead

For me, Derby blades and Gillette Fusion carts. Both cut me up pretty bad. Feathers get a lot of flack, but I've honestly had nothing but great shaves from them.

Alum. I know everyone says that when it burns you know your technique is off. I tend to disagree. I get consistently great shaves and I don't remember the last time I had a weeper or nick or anything that resembled blood. my face is always smooth and soft and irritation free, but the alum block (Omega Stick actually) burns so bad I have to grab the door jam to brace myself. not for me. for the record, I also do not care for alcohol based AS's as I don't like the burn from them either. leaves my face red as a drunkard! not condemning anything, just not for me.

Col Conk bay rum soap. Great looking thick lather... Almost no slickness or glide. And extremely dry for a glycerin soap.

Top Bottom