What's new

Present for My Husband

I would like to buy my husband a straight razor for Christmas. He's wanted one forever, but he's only had a shavette. Would like to know what a good razor would be for him. My budget is around $100. Any input is greatly appreciated.

I don't know if you've thought of this, but if he doesn't have a strop or stones, he'll need a strop and a honing prior to use. That should be factored into the budget. I'd check with Larry of whipped dog.

Hi Honey. I'd love a nice straight razor for Christmas but I have to ask a question.... was that you who posted on the Life Insurance forum a question about how to verify insurance coverage? :laugh:

Dovo classic. A very good blade with a good price. If he doesn't like the straight razor thing, he will just not use it. Better than spending 500 bucks or so on an unknown.

An entry level Dovo or Boker will cost right about $100, and either will be excellent shavers. They are basic razors when it comes to looks, but nicer scales, gold inlays, and such all drive the price up. Look to buy from someone who hones the razors first--someplace like Straight Razor Designs or West Coast Shaving include honing. This is important because a factory edge is not considered shave ready despite what manufacturers say. The other option is to buy a vintage razor from Larry at Whipped Dog as mentioned above by paintflinger. Your husband doesn't need honing stones right away--he can always send a razor out to Larry at Whipped Dog or various others who will hone the razor. But he does need a strop--and I'd suggest a cheap one since he will cut it while learning (Larry sells a poor man's strop that isn't bad for learning). After he's figured it out, he can get a nicer strop.

Top Bottom