What's new

Post a photo of you having a smoke...

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
$20140318_094837.jpg

Last Habano before first U.S. port. Punch Churchill. Very dense roll, draw was just a little too tight, and not as strong as I remember the Double Coronas I used to get. I fired my photographer, shot a selfie this time. Oh and with about 2" left, the cigar swelled and split the wrapper. Apparently quality control has slipped a bit for this brand. Still a nice 2hr smoke for €13.00.

I hate having my hat off-center but it was either that or adjust my chair...
proxy.php

Considering the upside-down mounting of said chair, it was easier just to adjust my hat.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
$20140320_171654.jpg

At Alhambra Cafe, Philly. Mohammed, the owner, creates a bowl out of an orange or a grapefruit and mixes his own shisha, more herbal and less fruity than most packaged brands. Coco Nara charcoal used here. The Turkish coffee and chai are made with care, flair, creativity and individual attention. Great place.

Last edited:
View attachment 427083

At Alhambra Cafe, Philly. Mohammed, the owner, creates a bowl out of an orange or a grapefruit and mixes his own shisha, more herbal and less fruity than most packaged brands. Coco Nara charcoal used here. The Turkish coffee and chai are made with care, flair, creativity and individual attention. Great place.

Does the Coco Nara charcoal work well? I've thought about picking some up.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Does the Coco Nara charcoal work well? I've thought about picking some up.

lump charcoal made from lemon wood to me has the most agreeable smell and taste and optimum burn, but coco nara is close, far better than any quick light pucks or bars. And you wouldn't believe how long it lasts. Easier to manage than lump charcoal. For quickie home use, it is great. You want a fire can and propane torch to light it, preferably, but you can also just light cubes as you need them with a torch type lighter.

to make a fire can poke 3 holes equidistant around the rim of a #10 can or coffee can. Do the same with a smaller can, and also some Draft holes about 1-1/2" from the bottom all around the can. Take some heavy wire like solid copper #12 or maybe coat hanger wire, and suspend the small can inside the large one with the wire, using the three holes near the top rim of both cans, so the small can is like centered within the larger, not touching at sides or bottom.

to use your fire can, light a couple cubes of coco nara. You can hold them with tongs and use a lighter, or drop them in the can and use a propane torch. When they are going good, drop 2 or even more cubes in. When they are started from the already lit ones you can take the already lit ones out and put them on the hookah. Periodically add another cube and take a well lit one out for the hookah as needed. So you always have a fresh coal available, with a minimum of fuss and attention. And you don't use up a lot of butane or propane. But really, the cubes last like an hour, so typically you only refresh your coals once per bowl.

I say try it. Maybe try to wheedle a couple sample cubes from your hookah shop. 2 cubes is good for an average size bowl. They put out lots of heat, so remember that as you fill your bowl or punch your holes.

lump charcoal made from lemon wood to me has the most agreeable smell and taste and optimum burn, but coco nara is close, far better than any quick light pucks or bars. And you wouldn't believe how long it lasts. Easier to manage than lump charcoal. For quickie home use, it is great. You want a fire can and propane torch to light it, preferably, but you can also just light cubes as you need them with a torch type lighter.

to make a fire can poke 3 holes equidistant around the rim of a #10 can or coffee can. Do the same with a smaller can, and also some Draft holes about 1-1/2" from the bottom all around the can. Take some heavy wire like solid copper #12 or maybe coat hanger wire, and suspend the small can inside the large one with the wire, using the three holes near the top rim of both cans, so the small can is like centered within the larger, not touching at sides or bottom.

to use your fire can, light a couple cubes of coco nara. You can hold them with tongs and use a lighter, or drop them in the can and use a propane torch. When they are going good, drop 2 or even more cubes in. When they are started from the already lit ones you can take the already lit ones out and put them on the hookah. Periodically add another cube and take a well lit one out for the hookah as needed. So you always have a fresh coal available, with a minimum of fuss and attention. And you don't use up a lot of butane or propane. But really, the cubes last like an hour, so typically you only refresh your coals once per bowl.

I say try it. Maybe try to wheedle a couple sample cubes from your hookah shop. 2 cubes is good for an average size bowl. They put out lots of heat, so remember that as you fill your bowl or punch your holes.

Thanks - I'll give it a try next time I pull out my hookah

$100_3299 (800x600).jpg

A little 3 Oaks Syrian in my Mastro De Paja Rusticated Bent Apple after extending my patio and moving my firepit. It was a gorgeous day and after the misses and I were done, the compulsory break commenced.

Top Bottom