What's new

Possibly Neverending Soap Passaround Box

Gents,

I've now been a part of a couple of pass around boxes and they are a lot of fun.

This time, I'd like to do one that narrows the scope a little bit to just shaving soaps.

The rules for this one are:

1) ONLY shaving soaps are allowed (Croaps are ok, no creams).
2) Member are expected to put in $30.00ish worth of soaps and take out roughly the same. If you add less, be gentlemanly and take out product equal to your contribution.
3) Soaps MUST be UNUSED when they go into the box. The reason for this rule is, I don't want people just tossing in things they don't like. Rather, I want people adding things they LOVE and want others to try. If you want to contribute something used IN ADDITION to your actual contribution, you're more than welcome to do so.
4) Members are free to test out several things before making their actual choices.
5) Artisan soaps are HIGHLY encouraged
6) No VDH, Williams, Arko, Proraso, etc... (yes they are all noble soaps, but lets step it up a notch)
7) Participants must take a pic of what they take from the box and post it on B&B
8) Participants must email me a pic of their contribution to the box. (not that we're not all gents, but I want to make sure everything is on the up and up)
9) Keep the box for no longer than 5 days and post the tracking number on B&B once it gets mailed out
10) We want to hear about your take! Why did you choose what you chose, how does it lather, smell, give us a nice review!
11) This is limited to people in the US and APOs. Sorry, but I did one that went into Canada and it kinda' sucked for those who got socked with the additional shipping costs.
12) Keep it fun! This is a rare chance for us to check out a large variety of soaps first hand. Lets face it, half the time we're buying blind on the recommendations of our fellow B&Bers
13) Subscribe to this thread so you can keep up with what's going on here easier

I want to get this going around mid-December. If you want in, post on here and PM me your name, address, email and phone number.

If anyone is interested in contributing soaps to the box before the passaround gets started let me know, I'll make sure you're near the end of teh list so you can get something different than your donation.

If this goes well this could become a continuous cycle with a period set aside for new people to join in and for others to drop out.

C'mon Gents, Lets Do This!

Last edited:
I'm in, but can we change the rule on a puck being brand new. Only reason I ask, is what if we have a soap we didn't like the smell on that was used for two shaves. It's soap, so it's not exactly like it is unsanitary.

I'm in, but can we change the rule on a puck being brand new. Only reason I ask, is what if we have a soap we didn't like the smell on that was used for two shaves. It's soap, so it's not exactly like it is unsanitary.

I understand what you're saying. At the same time, not everyone shares your views on used software and I'd like to maintain a certain product level to ensure people at the end of the line are given the same level of options as those who get to select from the box in the beginning.

That being said, you're welcome to PIF something used to the box as long as there is also $30 worth of new product as well.

A noble idea and obviously a great opportunity for our members to get up-close and personal with a selection of soaps.

I would just like to clarify one thing though, please.......

The purpose of the box (I'm guessing) is to allow the participants to test a few soaps before removing a keeper and adding something to the box and then passing the box along, correct? If that is the case, then most of the pucks in the box will be "used" within a short period of time and I would not understand your objection to someone adding a gently used soap to the box.

If the purpose of the box is to simply pass soap from one member to another without the expectation/chance to test the products then that is an entirely different situation and wouldn't be condoned here.

A noble idea and obviously a great opportunity for our members to get up-close and personal with a selection of soaps.

The purpose of the box (I'm guessing) is to allow the participants to test a few soaps before removing a keeper and adding something to the box and then passing the box along, correct? If that is the case, then most of the pucks in the box will be "used" within a short period of time and I would not understand your objection to someone adding a gently used soap to the box.

If the purpose of the box is to simply pass soap from one member to another without the expectation/chance to test the products then that is an entirely different situation and wouldn't be condoned here.

^What he said^

Jason,
If the intention of this is to actually get to use the soaps and trade one or two before passing the box on then I think this idea is excellent and this thread will be quite popular . I wish this would have been available a while back when I started. I would have loved to get to try this many soaps without having to purchase them all myself.

You may want to add something about users adding soap reviews to the thread if they'd like to. I'd love to read them and would definitely follow the thread if it contained reviews.

Other suggestions you may consider...
maybe change rule three to:
3) Soaps MUST be unused or very close to unused, something you used a couple time is acceptable.

since many soaps are right around $15 maybe change rule two to allow some users to only trade one puck if they'd like.
2) Member must put in up to $30.00 worth of soaps and take out roughly the same dollar amount as put in.

I really like this but I'm not going to join in, since I've tried almost everything I'd like to, and finally have my rotation down to only my favorites, but thank you for doing this. It's a really great idea.

David,

Thanks you for the questions. Initially my thoughts were to keep it simply a soap passaround, but I can see your concerns and as a soap user myself can understand why people would want to do more than just smell and hold a puck before making their selection so I can make a simple rule change here.

What I don't want is for this to become a soap graveyard where everyone is tossing in things that didn't work for them for whatever reason. I want people contributing things they know and love. So for this reason, I think contributions need to start out being new. Although, I have no problem people adding used soap in addition to their contribution.

I was thinking reviews of soaps would come naturally as people bragged on their take, but I can make it more explicit that we really want to hear your thoughts, description, etc... after the fact.

Hopefully these tweaks make it more appropriate for this forum.

Last edited:
Jason,
You may want to add something about users adding soap reviews to the thread if they'd like to. I'd love to read them and would definitely follow the thread if it contained reviews.

Other suggestions you may consider...
maybe change rule three to:
3) Soaps MUST be unused or very close to unused, something you used a couple time is acceptable.

since many soaps are right around $15 maybe change rule two to allow some users to only trade one puck if they'd like.

2) Member must put in up to $30.00 worth of soaps and take out roughly the same dollar amount as put in.

David,

Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions. Please see the above post regarding your question on rule 3 and reviews.

On rule 2, I have no problem with people adding one soap if they are only taking one. People just need to use good judgement and be gentlemanly about this.

Last edited:
I think it's reasonable to want people to add new pucks in, for the reasons stated, with the understanding that they may also try anything in the box before the decide what to keep. This way, no one gets stuck with something they turn out to hate, and everyone knows they will be getting the first crack at something.

I think it's reasonable to want people to add new pucks in, for the reasons stated, with the understanding that they may also try anything in the box before the decide what to keep. This way, no one gets stuck with something they turn out to hate, and everyone knows they will be getting the first crack at something.

No problems here with someone sampling an item. Maybe require them to scoop out (or cut off) what they would like to sample rather than lathering right on the soap?

Jason,
Maybe add a rule about adding duplicate soaps to the box as well.
With the idea being to try different things it won't really benefit anyone to open the box and find 4 pucks of the same soap, even if it is a very good soap.

Also, I don't know exactly how to clean a soap if someone lathered on the puck, I would think that you'd just do an extra lather to essentially clean the puck with soap. Or rinse it under water and lather it in your hands. This is a grey area for me so I've always cut off or scooped out soap and gone to a bowl to lather it when I have possession of a passaround box.

The cut off or scoop out suggestion from Justin is a good one and exactly what I do in this situation. Others should be encouraged to do the same.

Last edited:
Jason,
Maybe add a rule about adding duplicate soaps to the box as well.
With the idea being to try different things it won't really benefit anyone to open the box and find 4 pucks of the same soap, even if it is a very good soap.

I agree with this, but in order for that work, people need to know exactly what is in the box BEFORE they get it, so they can plan what to put in. Otherwise, it may be necessary to keep the box longer than five days.

I'm going to start the box off with about 10-15 different pucks in it so I don't think there will be too much of an issue with duplicate soaps. Part of the fun of a pass around is not knowing what you're goin to find until it arrives. As far as using soap goes, use good judgement. Rinse it well after use, whe you receive it you may want to give it an additional rinse before you use it.

I agree with this, but in order for that work, people need to know exactly what is in the box BEFORE they get it, so they can plan what to put in. Otherwise, it may be necessary to keep the box longer than five days.

^Agreed^

This forum contains some of the most generous, honest and all around excellent people I've found anywhere, but since everyone is spending money here, each person should post a list or picture of what is in the box just to keep everyone honest. This would give the next in line user a heads up as well. Plus it would be fun to see what's in there.

As far as the duplicates go all users should try not to add any duplicates, but maybe some exceptions can be made if someone is really in a spot, especially if they are adding something really popular that will likely be taken quickly.

I'm going to start the box off with about 10-15 different pucks in it so I don't think there will be too much of an issue with duplicate soaps. Part of the fun of a pass around is not knowing what you're goin to find until it arrives. As far as using soap goes, use good judgement. Rinse it well after use, whe you receive it you may want to give it an additional rinse before you use it.

Wow 10-15 to start, very generous of you Jason.

Top Bottom