What's new

Port/Porto and Brandy/Cognac.

Evening from Sydney,

A thought came to me that my liquor stash is running a tad thin, and looking for something to sip in the afternoon and evening. I really enjoy a nice port, hell even a cheap tawny. But I have also been having a quick squiz online at some of the nicer brandy's and cognac's available.

I will more than likely be buying a nice non-vintage cheaper tawny port for drinking often, some of the Australian tawny wines are absolutely fantastic despite the price being so damn cheap, but also looking at something nice to have on the shelf, nothing too flash.

My question is, I have never purchased Brandy or Cognac save for a cheap brandy I use for cooking. Does anyone have any reccomendations for an affordable good value option that would be good for the palate, but not too harsh on the bank? I am currently looking at the following;

1. Some good cleanskin Tawny port. It has a good semi complex flavour, great for an evening drink but can be a bit iffy depending on the mix. I do notice alot of variation with the contents. The other option is a harsher but well known cheap variety such as Brown Brothers or Club Reserve tawny (all of about $14). Cleanskin's are around the $5 mark.

2. A decent port, not after any vintage, infact a non-vintage is fine for me. Considering Mr Pickwicks, Seppeltsfield Para or Pirramimma Digby
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

3. A value Brandy or Cognac for the evenings when I feel like a harder drink. Considering: Teichenne Brandy, Courvoisier VS Cognac, Dorville XO Brandy or Meukow VSOP Cognac.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

What would your choice be B&B? especially from list number 3 where I could use some personal reviews.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I wouldn't be too good to advise you on Port as I don't drink it much. I prefer Madeira wine (usually less sweet than Port) but not every likes that...

When it comes to Cognac/Brandy, I tried a few so I might be able to help a bit but I'm by no mean an expert. When you say affordable, what's your budget? There are nice bottles out there. The only one that I tried in the ones you put up there in the Courvoisier, of course... If you can, the VSOP is a good step up from the VS. The XO is simply fantastic but probably out of your budget, it's a different league also. I thought that Hennessy was ok but Courvoisier was better for the price (YMMV). Have you considered Armagnac? Dan Murphy currently sells some Sempe for ~$75 AUD and it's a very good price for what you get. If you have to get one of those, I would go for a XO as it's the oldest Cognac. However, I did not try that one.

In the Brandy, I tried St Remi and Chantelle, both very cheap but average. I mean, it also depends how you like to drink it. I always sip mine neat and those are not enjoyable.

Yalumba Clocktower is an awesome Aussie port for the money. As far as cognacs and brandy are concerned the House of Ferrand offers some outstanding cognacs. Please don't overlook the wonderful alembic brandys from Germain Robins out of California. Some of their products are as good as many cognacs at a fraction of the cost.

Funny, Im the same as Luc - like Brandy/Cognac and Armagnac, dont like Port !
I do like Remy VSOP but of course prefer the XO - Remy, Hennessy or Hine. There is usually a 'rare' or something under the XO. Hine do a Rare VSOP that I am currently finishing that is more refined and nice in the evening with a chocolate biscuit or two. Remy do a Coeur de Cognac that is also quite nice.
As Luc says the Armagnac is good value (at least in the UK)

I will definitely have a look at those brands however I don't think I will be able to afford a higher grade Courvoisier as a first introduction to good drinking Brandy/Cognac. The Courvoisier VSOP might be in range but at a stretch, I am not planning to spend over $65 for a first bottle. As for the port? I love it, cheap-expensive, non-vintage or aged, tawny, rose, white all kinds, delish. There was only one port I have never much taken to and it was the bargain basement Penfolds Club. I actually prefer port as an evening drink, especially on my parents property around the fire unless I have a beer. However the Brandy provides a different experience and a change of scenery for my mouth, considering I almost gag at most harder liquors, especially scotch / bourbon / etc, it is a shock that I can palate the Brandy without even as much as a slight gag reflex.

Might be due to using it in cooking frequently?

@greyfox I will have to have a hunt for that port as I have never tried it! thanks for the tip-off :) I am not polarised between Brandy or Cognac, to me they are both an equal opportunity to give myself something enjoyable for the evening sip that is a bit more complex to my mouth than firewater or scotch.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Port: try some "Six Grapes" by Graham's. It's a ruby, not tawny, port, but non-vintage and ready to be drunk "now" and without decanting. But well worth the trying.

Cognac ... on the cheap? ... try some Armagnac. (That is, brandy made in the French region of Armagnac rather than in the nearby French region of Cognac.) It's either "simmilar but different" or "different but similar" but either way it's cheaper.

I can't wait to pick up a nice brandy I realised for a secondary purpose, those bottles are attractive! I can use them as decants afterwords ;)

Good to see Armagnac mentioned in addition to Cognac. How about Calvados?

I would try a variety of things you can find and afford and let your taste buds be your guide.

There are some very affordable Armagnac's at the local bottle shop, so it is a distinct possibility that I will give them a run as well and see how they feel on my buds.

Luc

Staff member
There are some very affordable Armagnac's at the local bottle shop, so it is a distinct possibility that I will give them a run as well and see how they feel on my buds.

What did you spot?

Luc

Staff member
Tariquet VSOP Armagnac - quite cheap
Janneau Tradition Armagnac - 50% more expensive but the reviews sound quite interesting

proxy.php
proxy.php

I didn't try Janneau but Tariquet was a bit harsh on the throat... If you can go the extra step, Sempe is really really worth it.

I didn't try Janneau but Tariquet was a bit harsh on the throat... If you can go the extra step, Sempe is really really worth it.

Thanks for the heads up on that one! that janneau gets interesting reviews, but its around the $70 mark at Dan Murphys (not too bad in the end)

Seppeltsfield does a pretty good port. For a relatively cheap non-vintage tawny, I'd probably go with a 10- or 20-year from one of the usual houses (Dow, Taylor-Fladgate, Quinta do Noval, etc.), but then it's relatively difficult to find Australian versions where I live.

For Cognacs, I wouldn't go below a VSOP or XO unless I'm putting it into some sort of mixed drink. Armagnacs have more personality than Cognac (not distilled twice), so your choice should depend on how you like your drinks. I prefer small Cognac houses or Armagnac producers myself.

Top Bottom