What's new

Polishing Ti

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Lockheed. and later Lockheed Martin was one of my best customers when I supplied automation to the printed circuit board industry. I even had my own visitor ID so I could get into their plants with zero hassle.

It was a learning experience and overall was very positive. The company (Henson) offered me a replacement.
In addition, customer support advised that it’s important to polish with the grain.

Paul

Do you have a picture of the polished razor?

Skunkworks sounds cooler. 🙂

If I recall it was called, Lockheed California Company, before Lockheed Martin.

I applied there out of military to work on C-130.

They would not hire me because of knee I hurt in military.

Skunk Works was were the secret stuff was built like SR71, and CIA version of The Blackbirds.

Do you have a picture of the polished razor?
Here is a picture of what my razor looked like before sending it to Henson for analysis. I used the razor daily for about six months. It looks like water molecules actually bonded to the Titanium. Interestingly the handle was totally fine. The replacement was sold within weeks of receiving it. I don't have the pictures handy but I will look for them.

IMG_3988.jpg

Here is a picture of what my razor looked like before sending it to Henson for analysis. I used the razor daily for about six months. It looks like water molecules actually bonded to the Titanium. Interestingly the handle was totally fine. The replacement was sold within weeks of receiving it. I don't have the pictures handy but I will look for them.

View attachment 1763842

Wow,..and this happened as a result of polishing?

Wow,..and this happened as a result of polishing?
No not at all. It happened as a result of daily use. I change my blade daily so basically I rinsed and dried my razor after each use.
At some point I noticed that something wasn’t right. In addition to seeking advice here I contacted Henson Support. They offered a few suggestions on what I could try to remove the stains. I was able to get them to fade but I was unsuccessful in removing them altogether.
That’s when they offered to send out a replacement.
One of the polishes tried (with approval from Henson)is called Autosol. It’s specifically for metals like Titanium.

IMG_6008.png

Here is a picture of what my razor looked like before sending it to Henson for analysis. I used the razor daily for about six months. It looks like water molecules actually bonded to the Titanium.
That looks more like using the razor for a shave, rinsing the razor, and then just sitting the razor down to air dry... See comments below...
No not at all. It happened as a result of daily use. I change my blade daily so basically I rinsed and dried my razor after each use.
I'm confused here as in post #27 above you say "after each use I simply rinse and let it dry on its own". You will get spotting or staining on Titanium if you use it that way. If you leave any water at all on the razor you will get staining. So did you rinse and dry it or rinse and let it dry on its own?

The Henson Ti is machined and sold bare according to they're website. I think it would be much like my Ti Blackbird in the machined finish. Shortly after I received and started using mine, 30-60 days, I noticed I had a couple spots on the underside of the base plate which has gotten no worse or no better and you have to look at it in just the right light to even notice it. I noticed this after I took it out of the ultrasonic cleaner I use once a month to clean my razor. I'm guessing after a shave and drying it off I must have used a damp towel to wipe it down and put it away slightly damp...

“So did you rinse and dry it or rinse and let it dry on its own?”

Thinking back, if I did wipe it, would have been with a damp towel. Of course even then I had no idea that wiping with the grain was a thing for Titanium.
In terms of function, it had no affect. I never have any water staining issues with my aluminum or stainless steel razors.

“So did you rinse and dry it or rinse and let it dry on its own?”

Thinking back, if I did wipe it, would have been with a damp towel. Of course even then I had no idea that wiping with the grain was a thing for Titanium.
In terms of function, it had no affect. I never have any water staining issues with my aluminum or stainless steel razors.
That would be due to the Aluminum being anodized and the Stainless is probably passivated to keep the water from doing that.

I had no idea that Ti was so high-maintenance and susceptible to water spots.

So far, my bead-blasted Predator looks the same as when I recieved it, with no spotting. I don't disassemble it after shaving, just loosen the head, rinse under hot tap water, tighten, and wipe the outside with a dry towel. Like all of my razors, I only fully disassemble and clean when changing the blade (or to store a razor).

Now I'm wondering if the bead-blast finish hides or even reduces the occurrence of water spots...maybe machined or polished finishes are more likely to spot?

If so, another reason NOT to polish.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Now I'm wondering if the bead-blast finish hides or even reduces the occurrence of water spots...maybe machined or polished finishes are more likely to spot?
I don't know if bead blasting makes a difference, the hard water sports are residue primarily caused by hard mineral-rich water. It depends where you live and what water you get, you can also see it by how often you have to de-calc coffee/washing machines. With soft water you should perhaps never see any.

Regarding the finish; read the lines above. I tried to avoid answering questions in chemistry in school, sometimes it worked out to mask that I had no idea about the original question. :thumbup1:

I don't know if bead blasting makes a difference, the hard water sports are residue primarily caused by hard mineral-rich water. It depends where you live and what water you get, you can also see it by how often you have to de-calc coffee/washing machines. With soft water you should perhaps never see any.

Regarding the finish; read the lines above. I tried to avoid answering questions in chemistry in school, sometimes it worked out to mask that I had no idea about the original question. :thumbup1:

Well...I've got well water.

We have a softener and the water feels, smells, and tastes fine, but we do have lots of minerals in the water.

I put a cast iron pot full of our tap water on top of our wood stove to evaporate and add humidity to the house in the winter, and it quickly develops a noticeable white crust in the bottom when the water is gone...but no spots on my Ti razor...yet.

20231214_142646.jpg

Iridian

Cool and slimy
We have a softener and the water feels, smells, and tastes fine, but we do have lots of minerals in the water.
It's calcium carbonate (edit and maybe salt as well...). And one softens the water to prevent hard water, which is exactly that, mostly calcium carbonate/limescale. The softening of water is removing a lot of the minerals and helps the mentioned coffee machines and washing machines. You still will get some residue in the pot even with soft water, but you shouldn't get stains on the razor anymore.

If you wish, you can control the exact pH and hardness value of your water with a test strip for a fish tank.

This is interesting about the pH level of your water especially relationships to our razors.
I recently sent a sample of my private well water Upstate for testing.
The pH level fell within range,( I believe it was 6.5 to 8.5, within range) mine was 7.5.
I always take my Razor apart, Hot Water Rinse and dry after each use.
I've not noticed any situations with my razors.
I do notice in a stainless steel sink if it's not dried but allowed a water to sit it forms a small water spot of sorts, just enough you can tell.

This has been an enlightening thread. The water our town provides is well water. We do have hard water so we have a water softener which ultimately replaces calcium ions with sodium ions.
Measuring the ph of our water is something I’ve never done but I’m going get some some strips and test it.

Top Bottom