What's new

Please help me, which 2mm lead is harder than 2B

I now use a mechanical pencil with a 2B lead. I would like to get the next hardest lead because I find I sharpen it too often. I searched the Internet for info on which is the softest to hardest but could not find anything.
Could someone please tell me which lead of these five are the hardest and softest. I want to get something a little harder than a 2B lead.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I now use a mechanical pencil with a 2B lead. I would like to get the next hardest lead because I find I sharpen it too often. I searched the Internet for info on which is the softest to hardest but could not find anything.
Could someone please tell me which lead of these five are the hardest and softest. I want to get something a little harder than a 2B lead.

Lead degrees go up as the lead gets softer in the B grades; up as lead gets harder in the H grades.

That means B grade will be just a tad harder than 2B, and 3B will be just a tad softer. If B grade is too soft, consider HB which is pretty much the same as American No. 2 grade.

The general spectrum goes from 10B --> B, then HB and F, then into the H grades with H --> 10H. I find 2H a little too hard for my writing. The advantage of harder grades is that you can lay down a very faint line to guide your work or sketch in framework, and it's light enough that it can be erased very cleanly. People have problems when they press too hard on a hard lead, which then either tears the paper or else leaves a groove behind. You want darker lines, go with a softer lead instead of pressing down more.

Most stores I've been in might "only" have the range from 4B to 4H -- but that's the centre where 90 per cent of people will find their happy place.

Happy writing!

O.H.

Lead degrees go up as the lead gets softer in the B grades; up as lead gets harder in the H grades.

That means B grade will be just a tad harder than 2B, and 3B will be just a tad softer. If B grade is too soft, consider HB which is pretty much the same as American No. 2 grade.

The general spectrum goes from 10B --> B, then HB and F, then into the H grades with H --> 10H. I find 2H a little too hard for my writing. The advantage of harder grades is that you can lay down a very faint line to guide your work or sketch in framework, and it's light enough that it can be erased very cleanly. People have problems when they press too hard on a hard lead, which then either tears the paper or else leaves a groove behind. You want darker lines, go with a softer lead instead of pressing down more.

Most stores I've been in might "only" have the range from 4B to 4H -- but that's the centre where 90 per cent of people will find their happy place.

Happy writing!

O.H.

Thanks for the info. I will try some HB lead.

Top Bottom