What's new

Please help me to make a ranked list of mild to aggressive safety razors that you have used

I like blade feel. A straight being a 10
9++++ Gamechanger with guard cut off
9+++ Stirling HA
9++ Ikon tech/tek, Charcoal goods lvl3 OC 1st gen, R41
8 Mk1 Fatip, Slim on 9
7-8 Blackbird, Dart, Rocca
6+ GC 84 Jaws, Old Type
6 ATT H2, Timeless 95 OC, Karve F OC, New
5 ATT aluminum, GC 84, Lupo 95 OC,
4 89, Parker 24C, Super Speed
3 Tech
Very helpful!

Thanks!

I'll eventually do that, but what I'm immediately after is a better understanding of aggression/efficiency/mildness, and some recommendations.
First off, welcome to the forum!
Instead of making a list, I'd first delve into reading about the dynamics of a razor. Lots of variables:
Head geometry, blade gap, blade exposure, length, weight, materials, etc..
Aggressive doesn't equate to efficient. I have very efficient razors that are truly mild and vice versa. And razors in all sorts of gap & exposure combinations that don't give the typical results that you'd expect. Read through the forum and start trying razors out. The only way you'll find what will work is experimenting regardless of what we might recommend.
Good luck!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
How about this...

aggression = maximum potential to cut: beard or skin without differentiation
efficiency = maximum potential to cut beard without also cutting skin

Whaddaya think?
Aggressive is bad.

Efficient is good.

Personally, I think in terms of the overall effectiveness of a razor.

My Journal (link is in my Sig) has lots of commentary regarding the attributes that make a razor Highly Effective. :)

Aggressive is bad.

Efficient is good.

Personally, I think in terms of the overall effectiveness of a razor.

My Journal (link is in my Sig) has lots of commentary regarding the attributes that make a razor Highly Effective. :)
I am beginning to think that an "aggressive" shave is had when shaving blind drunk with a razor and blade that normally give "efficient" shaves when sober...

;^)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I am beginning to think that an "aggressive" shave is had when shaving blind drunk with a razor and blade that normally give "efficient" shaves when sober...

;^)
In my opinion, aggressive razors are not predictable and are prone to "biting" - not good shaves.

The attributes I use to evaluate my razors:
  • Efficient: How readily/easily does the razor remove whiskers on each pass. How many passes plus touch-ups and buffing are required to achieve the desired result.
  • Smooth: The razor should not irritate my skin. It should not produce nicks, cuts or weepers. My skin should not feel like the shave removed several layers of skin.
  • Nimble & Maneuverable: How readily and easily does the razor navigate all of the nooks and crannies of my face. How easily does the razor navigate around my nose and nostrils, the corners of my mouth, the goatee area in general. Can I easily and comfortably go ATG throughout my upper lip to nose area.
  • Predictable: Does the razor have any tendencies to bite. Can I do j-hooks and slides without shredding my face.
Total how the razor scores on all of the above attributes and you'll have a pretty darn good idea of how Effective the razor will be at consistently providing whatever level of shave (SAS, CCS, DFS, BBS) you desire without any nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

Last edited:
You mentioned that you use a blade (Dutch?) that I’ve never heard of befor, and I’ve been on here for a decade. I know they do (average) soaps but perhaps you need to try a better blade first in the Slim. Astra is the go-to middle of the road good blade, my fave is the polsiliver.

You mentioned that you use a blade (Dutch?) that I’ve never heard of befor, and I’ve been on here for a decade. I know they do (average) soaps but perhaps you need to try a better blade first in the Slim. Astra is the go-to middle of the road good blade, my fave is the polsiliver.
Currently have a Feather in the Gillette Slim set to 7. It works about as well as the Astra that was in it before. The Van der Hagen (German stainless) blade that came with my starter kit seemed pretty good, too.

Everything now seems to work pretty well. I can live with the situation as it is.

Thanks!

Welcome to B&B, where asking what time it is can result in being instructed as to how to build a watch. If you have questions concerning increasing efficiency, and already have one of the most well regarded razors ever made (slim); you already have the best basis possible basis (IMO) to begin experimenting with known, constant variants before going down the rabbit hole of a million combinations and possibilities of different razors and blades until you become frustrated. I would suggest starting with a good, decently sharp but smooth and dependable blade such as Gillette platinum, good prep, good soap, and start off on 3-4. From there you can work your way up to higher settings and sharper blades. A slim in good shape is an incredibly smooth and forgiving razor that is very well capable of BBS. There are dozens of post about how some users do the first pass WTG on high, then xtg on a lower setting and atg on yet a lower setting, to avoid any discomfort. Others reverse this process. Stepping down 7-5- 3 or 4 worked for me while learning. Now, I pretty much keep it on 7 the whole shave. My suggestion would be to shave with the Slim for a month or two to figure where you want your level of aggression to be, then post about what is comparable- you will get a ton of great suggestions for mild, medium or aggressive from there. Once you get very used to that same set up and have found your level, then experiment with other blades, etc. There are many who love the slim so much they stop there. I continue to return to it in rotation…

Oh, sure. Eventually...

But I WANT another razor too, you see...

I thought that this site was dedicated to conspicuous consumption... :^)
Unfortunately, a lot of B&B is about conspicuous consumption, but getting a good shave and helping out a newbie is here too.
Shoegazer gave you some great advice. Open up that Slim and see how it goes. I wouldn’t change to a more aggressive blade just yet. The Slim gives you the opportunity to try a wide range of mild to aggressive settings so use it. I shave at “9” with Lord family blades.
Most of all, perfect your technique. A good shave can be had w any razor, and the Slim you have is one of the best ever made. YOU WILL NEVER NEED ANOTHER RAZOR.

If you load the wider (+9/1000 inch) Kia DE Blade in a mild razor it will transform it's performance. Like those seeking their Holy Grail razor there are just too many variable to be definitive about any razor IMO

I

Island

Mild to aggressive:
1. Feather As-D2
2. One blade genesis
3. Henson mild
4. Tatata masasume sb
5. Timeless .68 sb
6. Timeless .95 sb
7. Tatara masasume oc
8. Tatara nodachi
9. Blackland blackbird lite
10. Blackland blackbird

I've used some others but too long ago to remember.

Top Bottom