What's new

Pleasantly Surprised by SuperMax Platinum

I had never heard of them before. Another member gifted me some, along with a bunch of Treets.

Didn't realize that they were made in Bangladesh.

Haven't tried one yet, but I have one in the weekly draw box. Maybe it will come up soon?

Just looked them up on Amazon.

proxy.php

Not a lot of reviews but one particularly glowing review says "... My personal experience with these blades continues to be exceptional. I know of no other blade that can give me 15 perfect shaves and 60 highly acceptable shaves..."

This individual also mentions the Excalibur Club.

Don't seem bad for $8 blades (100).
Seems like someone PIF'ed some of those a few years ago, and I liked them. I grabbed 100 box of the Sharp Titaniums that we all thought were the same just with different labeling.

Picked up 100 of both Sharp Titaniums and Super-Max Diamond Edge Super Platinums based on this thread and others. Are the Super-Max Titaniums something special, or just above average. They are pretty hard to find actually.

Picked up 100 of both Sharp Titaniums and Super-Max Diamond Edge Super Platinums based on this thread and others. Are the Super-Max Titaniums something special, or just above average. They are pretty hard to find actually.
If you mean these:
SuperMax Titanium.jpg

Nothing special other than they're discontinued imo. Upon reflection, I guess they're all discontinued now. Depends on what you prefer... a mild forgiving blade or a sharper blade with a wee bit of bite.

The Blue Diamond Platinum fall into the latter category but still smooth. The above, Supermax Titanium fall into the first, although that might be good if you like a milder blade and do multiple passes. Myself, I'll pick a Treet 7 Days over them all.

Let me know what you think of the Sharp Titaniums... I've yet to try those.

Last edited:
If you mean these:
View attachment 1716420
Nothing special other than they're discontinued imo. Upon reflection, I guess they're all discontinued now. Depends on what you prefer... a mild forgiving blade or a sharper blade with a wee bit of bite.

The Blue Diamond Platinum fall into the latter category but still smooth. The above, Supermax Titanium fall into the first, although that might be good if you like a milder blade and do multiple passes. Myself, I'll pick a Treet 7 Days over them all.

Let me know what you think of the Sharp Titaniums... I've yet to try those.
I most prefer a very sharp blade that is also smooth. Genuine Bic CPs seems to be my preference, sometimes I don't even feel them, but they are doing hard work. What do you think of Treet 7 days? RayClem has a Blade Evaluation thread on the webs, and I have found I agree with him on the blades I have used.

I most prefer a very sharp blade that is also smooth. Genuine Bic CPs seems to be my preference, sometimes I don't even feel them, but they are doing hard work. What do you think of Treet 7 days? RayClem has a Blade Evaluation thread on the webs, and I have found I agree with him on the blades I have used.
Ah yes, I've gained a lot of useful knowledge concerning blades from Rayclem's post over the years.

For you, maybe
Bic CP
Gillette Silver Blue
Nacet
7 O'clock Super Platinum
German Wilkinson Sword
Those last 2 get much sharper after the first shave.

My beard is not the super tough barbwire variety. I'd consider it normal, medium Anglo-Saxon but my skin has unfortunately gotten old, thin and sensitive. My mustache and chin area is white and tougher on blades but not extreme. I value smoothness above all, not super sharpness. Plus my razors are medium to aggressive so it's really not required.

So for sharp and smooth, I lean toward blades such as:
Gillette Minora Stainless
7 O'clock yellows
Gillette Rubie
Treet 7 Days
Wizamet SI
Lord Platinum, etc.
I don't consider them super sharp but they are super-smooth to me and I get little to no irritation post shave.

cheers

Ah yes, I've gained a lot of useful knowledge concerning blades from Rayclem's post over the years.

For you, maybe
Bic CP
Gillette Silver Blue
Nacet
7 O'clock Super Platinum
German Wilkinson Sword
Those last 2 get much sharper after the first shave.

My beard is not the super tough barbwire variety. I'd consider it normal, medium Anglo-Saxon but my skin has unfortunately gotten old, thin and sensitive. My mustache and chin area is white and tougher on blades but not extreme. I value smoothness above all, not super sharpness. Plus my razors are medium to aggressive so it's really not required.

So for sharp and smooth, I lean toward blades such as:
Gillette Minora Stainless
7 O'clock yellows
Gillette Rubie
Treet 7 Days
Wizamet SI
Lord Platinum, etc.
I don't consider them super sharp but they are super-smooth to me and I get little to no irritation post shave.

cheers
Thanks for the feedback. Blade Biter also has an interesting list. Seems like I need to try GSBs. Nacet, Wizament and German Wilkies have been pretty good for me, but are a step down from Bic CPs (although I may need to run with a Wilkie a bit more). Also, have some Rubies on order, but to be honest, the Russian blades have been very good for me, but have yet to hit great. Looking forward to trying some Rubies. Ninjas will have to wait. Why are they so expensive?

Smoothness is good. 300 1/2 Lord Plats are waiting for me in another country.

Blade Biter's List

lasta

Blade Biter
Thanks for the feedback. Blade Biter also has an interesting list. Seems like I need to try GSBs. Nacet, Wizament and German Wilkies have been pretty good for me, but are a step down from Bic CPs (although I may need to run with a Wilkie a bit more). Also, have some Rubies on order, but to be honest, the Russian blades have been very good for me, but have yet to hit great. Looking forward to trying some Rubies. Ninjas will have to wait. Why are they so expensive?

Blade Biter's List

I appreciate the feedback!

But do be careful, only one person's opinion. I would hate for Rayclem to come back and burn the list in front of everyone!

Blade Biter's List

Yes, I should've mentioned that Blade Biter's list. A herculean task by @lasta that I refer to quite often. Just to see if he's accurate. 😉

Perhaps, @ivan_101 also since he and RayClem seem to share the same variety of tough whiskers. He could likely point you to the super sharp blades that are up to the task.

lasta

Blade Biter
Yes, I should've mentioned that Blade Biter's list. A herculean task by @lasta that I refer to quite often. Just to see if he's accurate. 😉

Perhaps, @ivan_101 also since he and RayClem seem to share the same variety of tough whiskers. He could likely point you to the super sharp blades that are up to the task.
Yes, Sweeney_ is a treasure trove of insider information!

He said something to me a while back (that shall not be repeated in public), and ever since, reminded me to back off a step and at least try to approach tastings objectively.

That being said, even for blades coming out of the same production lines, there are subtle but observable differences.

And yes, if you are looking for sharp: Feather, Bic, Nacet and Perma Sharp can't go wrong, I'd say GSB and Rubie are not far behind.

I usually don't recommend a partucular model for other persons whiskers. God forbid any "lists". You buy and try many blade models and decide.
Still I can't refrain on commenting on the above mentioned lists.
I would never call the 7 o'clock super platinum and German Wilkinson Sword super sharp, even after the 1st shave. LOL, I wouldn't even put them in the "sharp" category.

We interrupt your scheduled programming for a pointless deviation on the subject of a rarely discussed razor blade...

Over the last week I have received about 18 tucks of different Indian and Egyptian blades. For most of my shaving career I have used Feathers or Gillette PPI blades, but with the impending move of Gillette's Russian blade manufacturing to India I thought, "Hey, why not try some of the blades that are already being made in places other than Russia?"

I intend to work my way through most of the Lord and SuperMax ranges, plus a few others. Why not? If anything really stands out, I may pick up a couple 100 of my favourites.

I have to admit that in a lot of instances, the scattered information I have found online about many of these blades didn't bode well, and left me fearing a couple of months of uncomfortable, sub-standard shaves. In particular, few seemed to have anything nice to say about the SuperMax Platinum, so being the contrarian that I am, I decided to make it one of the first blades to be tested.

And I'll be damned if this isn't a very fine blade. It's deceptively sharp and smooth - the kind of blade that feels efficient yet sufficiently forgiving that it encourages you to hunt down every last straggler for a perfect finish. It has delivered a VERY close shave in my GC 0.84, far closer than I anticipated and absolutely on par with some of the better Russian Gillette offerings. If I had to say anything negative, I would note a tiny bit of prickliness, and after the application of aftershave I did notice a minute weeper on my jawline (I rarely get weepers), but that's no doubt down to user error and over-confidence on my part. The overall quality of the shave, combined with the almost complete lack of sting from the Old Spice, inclines me to view this blade very favourably. Longevity remains to be proven, but I usually swap out blades fairly quickly anyway, so provided it can do 2 or 3 comfortable shaves I am happy.

So, based on this initial outing I am really not sure what the nay-sayers have against this blade. The only other Indian blade I have used up to now is the Gillette Wilkinson Sword. That's another surprisingly good blade, and I would consder this one very close in performance. If this is an example of what the unpopular SuperMax blades are like, I am really looking forward to trying the popular ones.

I wonder, does this blade actually have ANY fans at all? Is anyone using it as one of their favourites?

View attachment 1679460
I have a few Vidyut blades in my test sample, including this one. I'm looking forward to with anticipation now.

I have use a couple SuperMax blades -- Titanium (dead average, nice shaves, average life) and am working on a Super Stainless and a Blue Diamond Super Platinum. Super Stainless is average, nice shaves (but not in my German Slant, it's too aggressive) with better than average life. The Super Platinum is done, at 105 shaves I can't get a stubble free face any more.

They are all easy to shave with, sharp enough but not irritating and don't require exessive touchups or special technique to get a good shave. They all work very well at 5 on a Slim or Fat Boy

Average blade life for me is around 70 shaves, skewed lower by a couple of very much less than average blades and my learning curve when I started using double edge razors in 2016.

Nice razor blades at very good prices, the only problem with them is that the brands change almost daily and when I find one I like it's no longer available under that name.... I assume this is mostly just branding, but who knows.

Nice razor blades at very good prices, the only problem with them is that the brands change almost daily and when I find one I like it's no longer available under that name....
ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

I wouldn't see that as a huge hurdle if I had your skills with blade longevity. Buy a 100 blade sleeve, 70+ shaves...
<scratching head> even at one and done, you should be good for 19 years.

Top Bottom