What's new

Pistols

I loved firing the Glock 19 - great pistol. In general I've found pistols easier to shoot than revolvers. If personal carry is a requirement, a Glock would get my vote. That said, I think short guns are the better option for home defense. Carbines and/or smaller bore shotguns are the way to go as far as I'm concerned. Easier to keep on target than any revolver or pistol, plus the range to take care of four legged threats as well. And they're cheap.

The most important thing for self defense is, being able to hit your target, if you miss, it's doesn't matter weather you had de best gun and ammo available

Doc, you owe it to yourself to try out an Smith M&P.....it's truly a finely engineered weapon that shoots like a dream.

My preferred pistol is and always will be a S&W 686. It's as simply designed as they come, very comfortable, well balanced, and nasty accurate. Sure, it only holds 6 rounds, but that should be enough for 6 targets.

You forgot to mention that the 686 trigger is sweet right out of the box. This was department issue when I started and I was surprised to see that it was the most accurate service weapon I had seen. The Hogue grip that came with mine fit me like a glove.

The department switched to Springfield Armory 1911 double stack 45's. Those were the biggest *** I ever used. The only round you could count on was the one that was in the chamber. And it is true that Springfield did work on them several times, new magazines, new magazine springs, new triggers, and even trips to the custom shop to re-contour the ramp and other gun smithing. I carried my Smith model 60, 5 shot 38 because I knew it would shoot 5 times with 5 trigger pulls.

Springfield could not make the 45's reliable and as such the Sheriff went to Glock 21 for patrol and glock 36 for plain clothes. He is a believer in the 45 round. I had never been a fan of Glock's but they are fine weapons none the less. I think if you look at the studies, most departments see improved marks during department shoots after switching to Glock.

Glock has a very simple operating system, which the 1911 does not. The Glock is much lighter to carry.

I shot 1911 gov issue in the Navy for 20 years and did not have a malfunction other than a couple stove pipes. But the gun in my opinion has a flawed extractor design.

Not really recommending anything, just sharing my thoughts.

You forgot to mention that the 686 trigger is sweet right out of the box. This was department issue when I started and I was surprised to see that it was the most accurate service weapon I had seen. The Hogue grip that came with mine fit me like a glove.

The department switched to Springfield Armory 1911 double stack 45's. Those were the biggest *** I ever used. The only round you could count on was the one that was in the chamber. And it is true that Springfield did work on them several times, new magazines, new magazine springs, new triggers, and even trips to the custom shop to re-contour the ramp and other gun smithing. I carried my Smith model 60, 5 shot 38 because I knew it would shoot 5 times with 5 trigger pulls.

Springfield could not make the 45's reliable and as such the Sheriff went to Glock 21 for patrol and glock 36 for plain clothes. He is a believer in the 45 round. I had never been a fan of Glock's but they are fine weapons none the less. I think if you look at the studies, most departments see improved marks during department shoots after switching to Glock.

Glock has a very simple operating system, which the 1911 does not. The Glock is much lighter to carry.

I shot 1911 gov issue in the Navy for 20 years and did not have a malfunction other than a couple stove pipes. But the gun in my opinion has a flawed extractor design.

Not really recommending anything, just sharing my thoughts.
Speaking of 1911 style pistols, Tacoma PD, authorized their officers carrying Kimber 1911s. That department must have a sky high budget.

Doc, you owe it to yourself to try out an Smith M&P.....it's truly a finely engineered weapon that shoots like a dream.

+1
It is a great weapon and if you should have a problem S&W has top notch customer service. I've got a full size in 9mm. Haven't had a single malfunction in about 2000 rounds. The M&P gets my vote.

Well, the Marine in me would like to point out that a pistol is only something you use to fight your way to a rifle...

That said, I like Ruger Redhawks myself. I have a pair in 45 Colt, or all things, and I love them. (and I'd hang onto both once I reached the rifle.)

Andre

Just for the record, I carry a Glock 23 on duty [department issue] and in several thousand rounds it has never jammed. I grew up shooting a 1911, so I hate the trigger on the Glock. They are butt ugly, but they work. If I could carry my own choice tomorrow, it would be a 911 though.
proxy.php

For most applications I would say go with a Gov't model .45. Proven track record. I hasn't to use the words stopping power attached to any practical caliber for a handgun. But being a single action weapon, if you should have to use it, in court the prosecuting attorney will try to make it seem you are irresponsible with it. Nevermind the piece of crap who was in your home to do you harm. They will use everything to prosecute YOU for having the mendacity to protect yourself.

With that said, my choice would be the Sig/ Sauer. Great weapon, with a good draw on the first, double action shot. A choice you didn't mention was a HK USP in .40. I own one and find it handles much like the .45 it replaced.
But you can't go wrong with the Sig. Safe, shows you are serious about safety and you can rely on it everytime.

My two cents worth.

For those that really like the Glocks, but hate the triggers, you might want to look at purchasing the NY-1 trigger kit. IMHO, it really improves the feel...significantly.

As for me, I like the classics in guns as I do in shaving equipment. Give me a wheel gun and a wet shave every time. :001_smile

$6

I add another "+1" for the Springfield XD. I picked up a .40 subcompact about a year and a half ago. Great gun and has been 100% reliable with over 1600 rounds through it. In fact, I am looking at possibly picking up another in .45 sometime in the future. Glocks are also good guns, however the grip angle doesn't work well for me. The XD on the other hand is a natural pointer for me. Another benefit is that it is simple and comfortable for my wife to shoot as well - she loves it when we go to the range together. As in every thing else on this forum...ymmv

BJC

Do some of you guys actually carry a gun, pistol or revolver any time you go out of the house? Let's say when you go out to buy some groceries at the local mall? Seriously, I really wonder.

I know that generally speaking, cops are ****-poor shots. But that said, I don't think anyone needs a double-stack magazine in a 1911. You can swap a magazine in what, about a second? And the single stack, what the piece was designed for, is more reliable.

I am going to be packing when I get out of the military. I joining a Posse unit and you have to buy your own (I like the idea).

So far I have fired a...

Glock 22.
Sig P226
M9 (Beretta 96)
M1911A1

Any others I should try out? Something affordable would be nice.

I answered this post yesterday and my response is gone? Very strange. Here we go again...

Rd 2

I agree with others here that it sounds like you are familiar with many of the major players.

The key to what handgun to purchase and/or carry lies with you.

The single greatest piece of advice you could get on this subject is:

DON'T BUY ANYTHING BASED ON SOMETHING YOU READ IN THIS THREAD!!!

I am a Combat Arms Instructor in the USAF. I've been a cop for almost 14 years and I've spent the last 10 working as a gunsmith/range instructor.

As a gunsmith one of my big hobbies is guns. I'm not a hunter but I love to build, restore, modify and shoot guns. I tend to lean towards rifles that are ultra accurate and handguns that are operator friendly. I've shot competitively in both handgun competitions and long range rifle competitions. I've won a few 1,000m competitions with a custom .308 I built myself.

Anyway, when buying a handgun there are several factors to consider. In fact there are more than most people realize. The least important factor is how it looks. Sure a chrome Desert Eagle in .50 caliber with Mother of Pearl or Ivory grips looks pretty pimp, but it's not at all practical. You need to consider what your options are with the department you are going to work with. Does the Posse have any specific requirements? Are you limited to certain caliber(s)? Do you require a certain magazine capacity? Once those are answered you can start your hunt. If the answer to both is NO, then the doors are wide open.

I know you are military so I'm sure you are familiar with the Beretta 92F (known as the M9 in military circles). What do you think of that? Too heavy? Too large? Do you like the safety features?

Personally from a gunsmith’s standpoint I prefer a gun with an external hammer. If a gun has a hammer it has to be cocked in order to fire either manually or by squeezing the trigger (double action). I am also a huge fan of a de-cocking lever or a combination de-cocker/safety lever. Guns such as the Glock and Springfield XD's are always cocked (unless dry fired on an empty chamber). The action of loading a round cocks the weapons and the firing pin remains under spring tension. I am also certified through Glock. I can tell you that the trigger safe and firing pin block do a great job of restraining the firing pin until the trigger is squeezed but I've always been a little leery of the possibility of an accidental discharge with a firing pin that is always ready to go. In their defense I own a couple of Glocks and a couple of Springfield XD’s but I don’t carry either one of them. Now, de-cocking levers... The H&K USP series, Beretta/Taurus 92 series, and Sig-Sauer all have them. Glock and Springfield do not. There is no safe way to de-**** them short of dry firing them on an empty chamber. I prefer a de-cocking lever.

You also have to consider comfort. Is the frame of the weapon ergonomically correct for the size of your hands and your shooting style? Some people love the feel of the polymer guns (or tactical Tupperware as I like to call them) because the entire grip has some kind of stippling or checkering that gives a sense of a better grip. Other people don't like these particular weapons because they are a double stack magazine which means the grip is larger in diameter and sometimes difficult for people with smaller hands. I personally carry an H&K USP LEM (Law Enforcement Model) off duty with my concealed carry permit. I am a huge fan of H&K pistols but they are on the higher end price ways. But like many things you often get what you pay for.

The best thing you could do is go to a range that rents handguns and put about 25-50 rounds through each weapon type and caliber that you think you are interested in. It is important that you shoot different calibers even if it is the same model/manufacturer. What may work well for you in 9mm in a particular model may actually be harder to control or even painful in .45.

It's like a car, do your research, read the reviews, narrow your choices and test drive all of the options before you buy. Don't buy a gun because one biased opinion says it’s the best on the market. Don't buy a gun because it's on sale, and don't buy the first guy you shoot, even if you think you like it. Try your options and do your research.

I’d stay clear of off brands such as Astra, Star Llama etc. There is some truth that you will get what you pay for. H&K, Glock, Springfield, Sig-Sauer and Beretta are pretty much the big dogs in this group of guns.

**EDIT** I noticed I didn't discuss the Granddaddy of Semi-Autos the 1911. These are great guns, very accurate, reliable and durable. The only drawback to a 1911 is that they are heavy (most are heavier than your standard issue M9) about 2-2.5 times the weight of the polymer guns in the same caliber. If you decide you must have .45 consider other options such as the .45 GAP round (started as a proprietary round) that was originally made for Glock it stands for Glock Auto Pistol, but can be had in other guns such as the Springfield XD. The purpose of the .45 GAP round was to allow it to be chambered in a smaller frame, basically a frame made for a .40 cal. The bullet is shorter than .45 ACP. The GAP however is a very hot round. It's similar to .40 vs 10mm. The 10mm is too hot for many but the .40 is just right. The .45 GAP is very hot and for many the original .45 ACP is just right.

It all depends on your needs.

The only drawbacks to a 1911 as far as carry is that they are a full size frame (harder to conceal if necessary) and they are very heavy. Great guns though, I am a proud owner of a couple of Kimbers, a Colt Gold Cup Trophy Custom and a few Springfield’s that I built from the ground up.

Feel free to PM me (anyone) if you have questions about firearms, marksmanship fundamentals or even firearms safety in the home. I'm very passionate about all three and have over a decade’s worth of experience.

I hope this helps! :001_smile

Do some of you guys actually carry a gun, pistol or revolver any time you go out of the house? Let's say when you go out to buy some groceries at the local mall? Seriously, I really wonder.

I've had a concealed carry permit for years. I do in fact carry when I do certain things, but not always. I'm generally selective in how/when I carry.

If I expect to be out after hours, I'll carry. If I'm going into an area I'm not familiar with, I'll carry. If I'm going into a familiar area that I'm not comfortable with, I'll carry. Situation dictates.

Although, now I live in Northern Japan so my handguns are all safely secured in the US, it's against the law to carry a concealed weapon where I live in Japan and there would be no need anyway.

Top Bottom