What's new

Glock Perfection: Even More Perfect? We Shall See.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
grip angle/pointability? I'm not 100% satisfied with my 19 G5 and the three backstrap options. I've been fine with up through 4s.

I think there's a couple other updgrades too.

Are the Gen4 back straps much different then The Gen5?

OkieStubble

I can’t say there, but I’ve used others’ 4s and they didn’t bother me. The 5 does. And I have to bring the barrel down in a more noticeable manner than others. The 5’s grip is just built different. To me.

You don’t realize how much this post helps me. :)

I’ve had Gen2, Gen3 and now a Gen4 G19 over the years. Probably somewhere in the vicinity of 75K thru the Gen2 because the guy I bought it used from back in 1989 had somewhere north or south of 40K thru it and I spent 26 years putting somewhere pretty close to that same amount thru it, before I sold it for the same $400 I bought it for, back before the 90’s rolled around and then selling it in 2010.

Had a Gen3 with 3K in it, but I was carrying a G23 at work and off duty, so it just never really got shot or carried much. When I began my stint teaching in the academy in 2005, I carried and instructed cadets using my personal Gen2 for half a decade, until the Gen4 came out around 2010 I think.

Like you, that Gen4 felt really good in my hand. I can’t tell you why either, but it just felt better pointing than my G2 or G3, so I sold both of them and got the G4. I spent another 5 year’s teaching with it in the academy and now probably have somewhere just north of 15K thru it?

While I have been thinking about upgrading to a G5 for sometime now, it’s probably more for thinking I need to have an MOS version. But now that I have the SS with it’s universal optics cut that allows most brands of RDS to be mounted lower directly to the slide, I don’t know if I want the plastic mounting plate on a Glock MOS?

I haven’t held a Gen5 G19 yet, but I have got to shoot a buddies G45 a bit. I am always looking for that red dot on that 45, not just because the 22 degree grip angle makes it point high when looking thru an optic lens, but the mounting plate just seems to make the optic sit too high?

But with the 18 degree 1911 angled grip on my SS that Holosun SCS320 sitting on top of the slide comes up and that green dot presents itself so naturally and intuitively, it’s almost like creepy or scary to me. :)

Now if I can only learn to shoot better with that 2mm dot in 1/3 co-witness. :)

I think after reading your post, I am going to seriously consider foregoing the Gen5 and just having my Gen4 slide milled for the exact optics cut that I want and mounting an optic to it without a plastic Glock mounting plate.

Trijicon has just come out with their new RMR HD and it sounds like the shiznit from everything I read. I really love my Gen4 a lot. All the rounds thru it have really smoothed it out over the years and if a striker fired ignition system could ever be defined as ‘smooth as glass’?

I think my Gen4 would qualify. :)

Last edited:
Slight Tangent
I really want to like the new offerings of Trijicon. Both have top loading battery compartments, unlike the original RMR.

I confess I have mixed feelings re their non rail mounting system as I cannot help but think that a rail is a better way to go. Having said that I understand since they have a "footprint" that they and others have been using forever.

Open Emitter MSRP 849USD

Closed Emitter MSRP 849 USD

I concur 1000% re avoiding plates. They are simply a point of failure.

I fully acknowledge this is easy for me to say because I am a solo end user who is very brand centric (Full Size Glock) who has his EDC needs covered.

OkieStubble

Slight Tangent
I really want to like the new offerings of Trijicon. Both have top loading battery compartments, unlike the original RMR.

I confess I have mixed feelings re their non rail mounting system as I cannot help but think that a rail is a better way to go. Having said that I understand since they have a "footprint" that they and others have been using forever.

Open Emitter MSRP 849USD

Closed Emitter MSRP 849 USD

I concur 1000% re avoiding plates. They are simply a point of failure.

I fully acknowledge this is easy for me to say because I am a solo end user who is very brand centric (Full Size Glock) who has his EDC needs covered.

I'm kinda surprised Trijicon is selling their RCR closed emitter reflex for the same price tag as the open emitter RMR HD?

$849 is a lot of money, but that HD would look very sexy on top of my milled Gen4 slide. I also like from what I read, they did away with that awful blue tint ya had to look thru. I also can see that RCR Reflex replacing the Leupold Point Pro on my LWRC that is sitting offset to my 1X6. I'm willing to give their new innovative non rail mounting system a chance.

Maybe I can get a retired LE discount. Buy one, get the other half off or something. :)

I'm kinda surprised Trijicon is selling their RCR closed emitter reflex for the same price tag as the open emitter RMR HD?

$849 is a lot of money, but that HD would look very sexy on top of my milled Gen4 slide. I also like from what I read, they did away with that awful blue tint ya had to look thru. I also can see that RCR Reflex replacing the Leupold Point Pro on my LWRC that is sitting offset to my 1X6. I'm willing to give their new innovative non rail mounting system a chance.

Maybe I can get a retired LE discount. Buy one, get the other half off or something. :)
You realize that only in the firearms world would us old guys be talking about spending this kind of $$ for the same basic technology we used to laugh about, watching our kids playing laser-tag with the cat...:biggrin:

OkieStubble

You realize that only in the firearms world would us old guys be talking about spending this kind of $$ for the same basic technology we used to laugh about, watching our kids playing laser-tag with the cat...:biggrin:

lol’d. Truth has been spoken!

:)

I finally got to the range with the Circle comp & TLR. I put masking tape on top of the light head to show powder residue, or lack thereof. This is 150 rounds, one session. You can see some hazing on the lens, but not diminishing the light in any practical fashion. I'm also not expecting to go 300+ rounds before I can do a wipe-down, so context is important.😉

You certainly could stop most all hazing with a longer comp, but for EDC, it isn't wirth the extra length for my usage.
IMG_20240302_081543658_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240302_081550376_HDR.jpg

OkieStubble

I finally got to the range with the Circle comp & TLR. I put masking tape on top of the light head to show powder residue, or lack thereof. This is 150 rounds, one session. You can see some hazing on the lens, but not diminishing the light in any practical fashion. I'm also not expecting to go 300+ rounds before I can do a wipe-down, so context is important.😉

You certainly could stop most all hazing with a longer comp, but for EDC, it isn't wirth the extra length for my usage.View attachment 1805422View attachment 1805423

Yeah, All the hazing and gun powder on my lens was from a case of ammo. I wasn’t really too worried about quickly wiping it off, but the amount of hazing made me realize, just how much heat was probably raining down on the lights bezel and bezel O-Ring.

I think the comp you posted with no 6 o’clock venting looked pretty small and compact and probably wouldn’t hinder concealed carrying with it anymore difficult than a non- comped pistol? :)

Yeah, All the hazing and gun powder on my lens was from a case of ammo. I wasn’t really too worried about quickly wiping it off, but the amount of hazing made me realize, just how much heat was probably raining down on the lights bezel and bezel O-Ring.

I think the comp you posted with no 6 o’clock venting looked pretty small and compact and probably wouldn’t hinder concealed carrying with it anymore difficult than a non- comped pistol? :)
Yep, that's why I went with it. Only slightly longer than the Griffin micro, but genuinely effective.

OkieStubble

Took the oldest of one of my twelve Grandsons to the LE range yesterday and we put another 400 rounds on steel silhouettes and various plates.

He’s only 15, but he looked really good shooting while moving and he really likes the green dot on top of the SS.

I think I’m starting to get used to the 2mm dot in 1/3 co- witness. Have a RDS class I’m going To in June with our county sheriff’s office, but it’s a basic introduction class to pistol optics for their deputies and by June I think I will have the basics pretty much already down by then, but they’re nice enough to let me join them so I will go and get some free training under my belt.

Have about 1,600 trouble free rounds thru the SS now with no troubles or questions in its reliability or quality of design.

I haven’t really tried to abuse it yet, or put it thru any testing, except for what I have posted here from running a bunch of different kinds of ammo thru. I still haven’t cleaned it yet, so it’s still chugging along dry & dirty just like my Gen4 G19, which I probably haven’t cleaned in like 3 year’s.

It’s not like I’m not trying to find anything wrong with this pistol, because I am; I just haven’t found or come across anything to complain about yet? There are people who say it’s trigger sucks, but there are people who say Glock triggers suck so I don’t know. I’ve never had trouble with Glock triggers and this one seemed better to me straight out of the box then my Gen4 when it was new from the box. My Gen4 has smoothed quite a bit over the years and many rounds, but it still has the Glock bump and the famous mush Glocks are famous for.

My SS has no bump or mush. It had what I perceived as a bit of stageyness just before the break? Some people call it stacking? But it was very slight and I had to really try to shoot competition style to notice it? But it’s a combat trigger, on a combat pistol? Shot at combat ranges with combat speeds? I don’t really care, if ya know what I mean?

After only 1,600 rounds it has smoothed up and only gotten better to where I don’t even detect the stacking. So far in my assessment of this SS MR920, while it is a much more expensive Glock Clone, if I took a Gen5 and had it direct milled in order to mount an red dot optic to the slide without a Glock polymer mounting plate with mounting screws that are long enough to go almost all the way thru the slide for a much stronger mount? And then, have the Gen5 frame upgraded in order to get a 1911 grip angle for better dot acquisition, better texturing of the grip frame and a raised shelf for the support thumb along with an already excellent flared mag well for positive reloading. Much nicer and more effect slide serrations, a great double undercut of the trigger guard for the firing hand and support hand, no more Glock Knuckle!

Upgraded a Gen5’s Glock sights for SS’s awesome sights while aren’t standard height sights, they also ain’t the overly tall suppressor height sights either. Excellent mid height sights for co- witnessing a dot on my SS. Along with its match grade barrel and excellent finish, a Gen5 modified and upgraded in order to match what I got out of the box on this SS?

Would probably cost, well over the $2,000 mark?

As of right now, just sitting here thinking of what I can do or test I should perform next, in order to see if it can stand up next to the reputation of my G19 Gen4? Any suggestions?

Being a biased Glock supporter for several decades now, this SS so far seems to me? Like it should have been the Glock that Glock would have made as the Gen5 if they would pull their head out of their *** and try to be a bit more innovative to compete against other brands who have been chasing them now for decades and have not only caught them, but are overtaking them and passing Glock by?

How long does Glock think they can stand on their past successes of a long ago innovation? Forever? Me thinks not.

Anyhoo, this guys review and comparison of the Shadow Systems versus Glock and other clones, pretty much hits the nail exactly on the head.

Last edited:
The latest G5's have a plastic cover to the mount, BUT the plate is metal.....; I thought it was steel, but when the last one bent (gen 4) w heat to get screws out.....found out they say they are aluminium (seem heavier than that....).
The only 2 defects on perfections G5 is: sights and plate....and by plate I mean the whole system.... . They are the best generation....(so far...) we may talk more in 25-40yrs.....well by then it will be the next generation.....next generation of family.

OkieStubble

The latest G5's have a plastic cover to the mount, BUT the plate is metal.....; I thought it was steel, but when the last one bent (gen 4) w heat to get screws out.....found out they say they are aluminium (seem heavier than that....).
The only 2 defects on perfections G5 is: sights and plate....and by plate I mean the whole system.... . They are the best generation....(so far...) we may talk more in 25-40yrs.....well by then it will be the next generation.....next generation of family.
If they ever come out with a Gen6, they probably need to take a page from Shadow Systems book of innovation. :)

OkieStubble

Looked everywhere for a light bearing IWB holster that would accommodate a Streamlight TLR-8A which is a light/laser combo. Couldn't find anything. Lots of good holster makers that accommodate a TLR-7 or TLR 7A, but nothing for the TLR-8A, go figure.

So picked up a new IWB holster from Mission First Tactical and a new Streamlight product. the TLR-7X. Same size and dimensions as their popular TLR-7A, but now is USB rechargeable.

IMG_1759.jpeg

IMG_1760.jpeg

Put the TLR-8A on the wife’s bedside table G19.

Top Bottom