What's new

Pipe smoking in fiction (novels, TV, movies)

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
It looks like Paul Giamatti is puffing in his latest movie The Holdovers.

Screenshot_20231106-155459_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20231106-155458_YouTube.jpg

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
I didn’t see this one previously mentioned. Donald “Duck” Dunn, bassist on The Blues Brothers; quite possibly one of the funniest movies around. It was one of my dad’s favorite movies and we watched it the morning before his viewing at the funeral home.

IMG_6271.jpeg

In the Coen Bros.' remake of True Grit, Matt Damon's Texas Ranger LaBoeuf smokes a curved pipe during a campfire scene about an hour into the movie. The pipe was light-colored and appeared to have an amber or amber-colored stem, so I'm guessing meerschaum.

What kind of tobaccos would have been available in Texas or in Fort Smith in Arkansas, in the 1870s?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
In the Coen Bros.' remake of True Grit, Matt Damon's Texas Ranger LaBoeuf smokes a curved pipe during a campfire scene about an hour into the movie. The pipe was light-colored and appeared to have an amber or amber-colored stem, so I'm guessing meerschaum.

What kind of tobaccos would have been available in Texas or in Fort Smith in Arkansas, in the 1870s?
This article goes into some detail on pipes and tobacco on the frontier.
There was Indian tobacco, but traders also carried more Western tobaccos, including Mississippi Plug, which was chewed but also smoked in pipes and rolled cigarettes.

I note that Mark Twain was born in 1835 and died in 1910, so he would have been a seasoned pipe smoker in the late 1800's.
He smoked a wide variety of traditional pipe tobaccos, some of which we are familiar with today such as Players Cut and various turkish blends.

Watching the Larry McMurtry prequel series to Lonesome Dove, Dead Man's Walk from 1996. Keith Carradine plays a scout in 1840s TX who is guiding an ill-conceived and ill-fated Ranger expedition to conquer (!) Santa Fe. At least twice in Part Two, we see him smoke what looks to be a briar with a bamboo mount, using a smoldering twig to light up. Skip through to 1:58:

I watched 1941's The Wolf Man this weekend and verified that smoke does indeed emerge at a few points from the pipes clenched by Ralph Bellamy and Patric Knowles. Plus the gravedigger who becomes Larry Talbot's first victim is smoking a smooth-looking bent billiard in the moments before Talbot the Wolf leaps upon him.

The billiard Bellamy smokes is a substantial thing, not very long but with a good-sized bowl.

Top Bottom