What's new

Pics of the world's crappiest coffee.

Well, since this appears to be a forum of coffee lovers (there's at least a few of you out there), I thought I'd post some pics from a week ago when Joel came over and we had some really crappy coffee.

Last year I was given some "Kopi Luwak" for Christmas. Kopi Luwak is coffee from the plantations in Java, Sulawesi, and Sumatra, in Indonesia. What makes Kopi Luwak unique is that it's found in the excrement of the Palm Civet, also known as a Luwak. The story goes, the Luwak only eats the ripest, choicest coffee cherries. These cherries then pass through the Luwak, and the cherries are subjected to stomach acids and enzymes which help ferment the choice beans in a unique way. The Luwak isn't able to digest the coffee cherry, so it passes through intact, without the bean inside ever coming into contact with Luwak.....poop.

Now for some pics:

full

The potables (some potent).

full

Beans about to meet their maker (notice, all bean, no dung!)

full

In this one it's not so obvious that there isn't any "business" brewing in there, but trust me, it's still all bean (and arrowhead water). I've made the Kopi in a French Press before, but the simple Milita drip brewer has provided consistantly great brews for this bean.

full

full

Some pics of the final product (with accompanying Cognac and glazed strawberries). I put mine in a glass mug for the picture.

All in all, this is some very flavorful, very potent coffee (or at least it was for the first several months). The beans in the picture are almost a year old, so there was definitely some degradation in flavor and potency, but it was still a surprisingly good cup of joe for how old the beans are. When not being used, they've been vacuum-packed and frozen to prolong their life. Unfortunately, I don't know what kind of availability there is for this coffee, as mine arrived just shortly before the tsunami hit that area.

In conclusion, it's one tasty brew. I don't think I'd shell out the bucks for this coffee myself, but it's fun to be able to try this oddball kind of stuff.

-Nick

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting, Nick. Coffee with a side of dookie. What will they think of next?

You know :idea:, I notice when I eat corn, things seem... ahem.... rather undigested. Perhaps I can retire from my job and sell the resulting product as a gourmet product. Scotto niblets or some such. :blush:

Scotto said:
Perhaps I can retire from my job and sell the resulting product as a gourmet product. Scotto niblets or some such. :blush:

Might I just say that you're getting yourself into a crappy business. :biggrin:

Good Grief Nick,
If you're going to sterilize the beans at least use Remy Martin! Geez, some people have no taste! Those lads in the Sulawesi Straights that harvest that stuff are very upbeat about their work. Just ask them about their job and they will tell you it is always picking up! :001_07:

Scotto's:9898:niblets? Eeeeeoooooo!

I've know of, but never had Kopi Luwak. This makes me think of "Worlds Worst Jobs" - "Tell me Sir, what do you do for a living?"

"I collect, sort and remove Luwak dung from coffee beans."

Hmmmmm......yeah there's a job for 'ya ! Bring much of your work home ??

I refer you all to the second picture: Feces free gentleman!

Ron,

I just knew you were gonna dig up that picture!!

-Nick

Nick said:
I refer you all to the second picture: Feces free gentleman!

Ron,

I just knew you were gonna dig up that picture!!

-Nick
At the price charged, the feces should be free!

guenron said:
At the price charged, the feces should be free!

Where's Howard???? We need some serious input stat. This once informative thread has quickly lost any air of legitimacy it might have had! :tongue_sm

-Nick

You know......the civet would probably be the perfect animal if you could make shaving brushes out of it. :001_tt1:

Just out of curiosity Nick, how much did that coffee cost per pound? And where did you buy it?

Top Bottom