What's new

Photography books for a newbie

I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my Canon a710 IS. So I"m wondering if someone could recommend a good book that would get me up to speed on some photography basics. I am a total newbie, but my new camera will have the option of going with manual modes and I would love to explore those options without relying on the stock owners manual.
Thanks, DJ.

I currently have 'Digital Photographer's Handbook' by Tom Ang. Contains a wealth of information to help you on your way.

Find old Kodak Basic photography book the only difference is you not shooting film.

Now you digital, and can see image you shot seconds ado.

I made my living for 30 years, never went to any 4 year university, did take NY Institute of Photography course mail order.

Did not finish but after getting affiliation with one of Best Photography News Agencies in World. I did not finish course.

Figured I arrived, and was too busy with assignment work to finish.

Buy it, read it, reread it, go create images.

Learn to edit out junk, keep only Good Images.

Look for the series of books written by John Hedgecoe. They can often be found at flea markets, church bazars, etc.

They were, to be sure, written for analog photography, the basic techniques described are, however, equally applicable for digital.

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
About the first text book they made us buy in college was The manual of Photography. A lot of it is now outdated darkroom stuff, but all the fundamentals of actual photography are still relevant.

Another would be Basic Photography by Michael Langford. And The Ansel Adams basic Techniques of Photography. Yeah, I'm old, but these books will give you a good foundation. The computer stuff you can learn online. Adobe gives out classes.

Edit: Just noticed the OP is sixteen years old. Nice one.

Last edited:
I also like Freeman's The Photographer's eye. it's all about composition, While not a technical discussion, this book examines what makes a photo look good, It assumes you know how a camera works and how to get the proper exposure/lighting.

I second "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson for taking you from point and shoot in auto and hoping for the best to understanding the dynamics to control exposure yourself rather than letting the camera guess what you're trying to do.

For composition, there are a number of good books available. Freeman and Hedgerow are good examples, but there are others.

Top Bottom