What's new

Phoenixkh: An Old Man's Continuum....

I had a Flat Bottom Tech early on.
I also had a Flat Bottom Tech as well. She worked in the service department at one of the dealerships I worked at.
BADABOOM! Just can't help it.
CSQz-HWUYAAqsQl.jpg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
This is an interesting test! Timeless has their ss OC plate listed at 39 grams. That seems like a huge discrepancy.
I talked to Jerimiah about that. They used to base those numbers on shipping weights, because they used to ship by weight back in the day. You know, before flat box rates, etc. He's planning to weigh them all out himself and update the website with accurate numbers.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
In case anyone is interested in the trials I did with the Timeless 0.68 caps and baseplates, here is the link to my journal page. The test started with post #2,217:

In case anyone is interested in the trials I did with the Timeless 0.68 caps and baseplates, here is the link to my journal page. The test started with post #2,217:

Loved the test. its been awhile since I had a Timless ss 0.68 sb but I remember it being a heavy head that really through me off but I didn't have a crown handle at the time. Now I use a Overlander that weighs barely 2 grams less (with a crown handle) and it feels great to me. Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Loved the test. its been awhile since I had a Timless ss 0.68 sb but I remember it being a heavy head that really through me off but I didn't have a crown handle at the time. Now I use a Overlander that weighs barely 2 grams less (with a crown handle) and it feels great to me. Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me.
I couldn’t get used to the light weight of a total titanium razor. That’s what prompted the whole thing. I had money set aside for a Wolfman WR4, but decided to wait a while on that one chose to experiment with hybrid Timeless 0.68 heads instead. I sold my complete Ti 0.68 on BST and away I went.

This is an interesting test! Timeless has their ss OC plate listed at 39 grams. That seems like a huge discrepancy.
When I weighed mine it was also off from what Timeless states. And also off from Kim's weight. Strange considering that CNC should duplicate everything precisely (I'm guessing!)
It'd be nice to ask Timeless to see what they say. Regardless though, it's a great razor!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I had my monthly infusion for Psoriatic Arthritis today... early this morning. I tried working and delivered a couple orders... I even went to the PO and shipped off the Mergress to the B&B buyer... took back some moldy cheese we bought yesterday... The date code was good for another couple weeks... but the cheese wasn't.

Anyway, some months the infusion hits me hard.. other months, I'm totally fine... That long story just to say... I came home mid-morning because I wasn't functioning well enough to be driving around safely.

I just finished my first shave with my Canada Regent ~1933, based on nothing but the seller's info and Mr. Razor's confirmation. It's a long comb: LC. Evidently Gillette Canada never did make a short comb: SC razor back then.

How was the shave? I didn't expect much out of this razor, truth be told. I was surprised at how intuitive it was for a first shave. It felt like I was shaving with an open comb La Faulx without those sharp La Faulx teeth I've read about and seen posted here.... It does shave shallow, as I expected, just from looking at the design. It has very nice auditory feedback. I did my normal 4 pass shave, with the extra XTG pass in the opposite direction... The ATG pass was effortless, even around my mustache and chin area. No stubble was felt when I applied the Metro Gel... smooth a silk when I was rubbing that on.

I won't know how long it lasted until around noon tomorrow, but I suspect it will last the 12 hours which has become my measuring stick.

I've been using Nacets lately, after a few months with Perma-Sharps... I doubt I could tell the difference if I was doing a true blind or double-blind test.

The rest of the culprits remain the same.

Pre-shave: a shower with a double application of the Cube 2.0. The Cube 2.0 applied with the twin to @Eric_75 's Rudy Vey installed 26mm ShaveMac bulb in an ESC Ultimate two-tone anodized aluminum handle.
Soap: Canada Shaving Soap.... I might have 3 shaves left in the tub but it's hard to gauge that. Not many, anyway.
Shaving bowl: CaYuen large Abalone
Shaving brush: The lovely SV Rosewood handle, gold crown 26mm (feels like at least 28mm in use)
Post Shave: LEA Deodorant Alum, Metro Gel, Hyaluronic Acid Serum, Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel/Cream... old formula... this tub has one or two more applications left...

I want join the Modern May group... so I'm only going to use the Canada Regent LC once. I'll use the 1934 Short Comb next. I had been expecting the SC to be my favorite of the two, but the Regent surprised me, so who knows? Then on to the FBT, though I've used one 5 or 6 times early on. Hopefully, I've learned a bit since then and the FBT will be outstanding for me.

My sale isn't going very well, so it might take me a couple months to fund the 1953 Y2 President. I thought I'd priced things low enough so they'd all be snatched up in a day or so... Only the Mergress is sold. It isn't a big deal. I like the two Timeless heads so keeping them around won't be a sacrifice. The Aluminum group will probably get put back into storage. They are just too light for me to enjoy at this point, but you never know. Lots of people swear by aluminum razors.

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I decided yesterday to hold off on the 1953 Y2 President. The one I found is in mint condition, almost NOS condition. You know what that does to the price. I decided I would enjoy some of my current razors re-plated for quite a bit less cash outlay. I’ll send 4 razors to Chris @ Back Roads Gold on Tuesday. That will be a fun package to open in a few weeks.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
The razors are all packed up, waiting for the PO to open.

I had my first shave with the 1934 NEW Short Comb Red and Black a few minutes ago. My last shave was with the 1933 Canada Regent NEW Long Comb as noted above. It's certainly too early.. one shave each... to determine which one I prefer. I enjoyed both shaves. They both shave at a similar angle for me... on the shallow side of neutral. It was easy to find that angle on them both. I'll know more later, but by feel, it seems today's shave will last for the expected 12 hours. It was a relaxing, smooth, comfortable yet close shave. I noticed the difference in the long vs. short combs.... but only by the feel on my face.. not the way they shaved.

I can understand why the NEW SC and LC are so popular here on B&B. I admit, I didn't really understand the appeal all that much, but I get it now. Still.... and don't hold me to this at a later date... I don't expect to be adding a lot more Vintage razors to my small collection. I still have to try out the FBT. My memory isn't clear about the shaves I got with it way back in August of 2022. The FBT was the first DE razor I used after using an AC razor for over 5 months and I had no idea what I was doing then, that's for sure. It will be interesting to note how one shaves now, almost 2 years later.

I have one shave left on my first Canada Shaving Soap tub.... I scraped down the remaining little section and have enough flakes for just that one additional shave. I haven't decided where to go from there. I'm thinking I might start rotating my other unscented soaps, croaps and creams. I don't have that many but I've been predominantly using CSS for the last 2 years. I know, as I mentioned, to 3017 the Baume.be. It only has about 1/8th of the tub left... So that won't take long.

I used a Nacet this morning and will continue to use them for the next month at least.

I have been mulling over where I am long this wet shaving journey of ours. I only have a couple razors I'd like to sell, but I tried that a week ago or so and there didn't seem to be much interest in them. I don't have any new razors on my radar at the moment.. modern or vintage.. I'm good with blades, both AC and DE. I did mention to @thombrogan the other day that my Mother's Schick injectors have been on my mind so I'll probably experiment with them and see if they work better for me now that I have an idea how to use them.

Brushes? I'm very happy with that small family of badgers. Do I want to get a Semogue Pegasus Mistura? I'm sure I would love it, but do I want another brush? My 4 SV badgers and 1 Mozingo are perfect in rotation for bowl lathering.. and I am happy rotating three other badgers for applying my pre-shaves. I am sort of waiting for the next SV Special Edition brush to be released... perhaps in the fall. With the right handle material, that would be of great interest to me....

When my razors get back from Chris, I plan to get some updated equipment photos posted. Three groups of razors: Stainless Steel and Titanium; Bronze, Brass and Gold-plated; Vintage.

I do have two packages coming in the next week or two....both are shipped and will get here when they get here. I have that Wolfman hollow bronze 3/7 with H2 knurling, and a Timeless Dimpled SS handle and stand on the way. I'll use that handle and stand for the SS scalloped Cap and 0.68SCL base plate that didn't sell the other day.. This will be my first Timeless SS razor. LOL... It will be interesting how the balance feels, using a Timeless razor as it was designed. <eg>

I haven’t progressed to the best razor and blade matches yet. I don’t have a huge variety of blades but for the most part, they’ve all worked well with all my razors.

Modern razors in no particular order:

1. Blutt BR1 1.20
2. Claymore Evolution
3. La Faulx Classic in both Stainless Steel and bronze
4. Athena X 2
5. ATT X1
6. ATT Windsor SSRH
7. Rocnel Elite 2022 and 2024 Bronze
8. Timeless 0.68OC hybrid: SS scalloped Cap and Ti base plate
7. Wolfman WR2 0.95 SB
8. Timeless Bronze 0.38

Vintage razors:

1. Souplex “metal”
2. Gillette Canada Pre-war Tech
3. Flat Bottom Tech
More to come as I try out several I just received, I hope.

I might have missed one or two, but I think that’s all of them.
Thanks!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Kim, have you tried the less aggressive Blutt's? I would think the 1.2 is super aggressive, no?
You'd think the 1.20 is aggressive... but it isn't... It's in the lower medium efficiency zone along with most of my razors. I had a 0.86 base plate ... and bought an extra Cap to make it a complete razor. I liked it, but it was more mild than I needed. I would guess it's more like an Overlander and I kept it around for one of those mindless shaves I thought I'd enjoy... As it turns out, I never sought out those kinds of shaves. That's why I ended up selling it.

The razors are all packed up, waiting for the PO to open.

I had my first shave with the 1934 NEW Short Comb Red and Black a few minutes ago. My last shave was with the 1933 Canada Regent NEW Long Comb as noted above. It's certainly too early.. one shave each... to determine which one I prefer. I enjoyed both shaves. They both shave at a similar angle for me... on the shallow side of neutral. It was easy to find that angle on them both. I'll know more later, but by feel, it seems today's shave will last for the expected 12 hours. It was a relaxing, smooth, comfortable yet close shave. I noticed the difference in the long vs. short combs.... but only by the feel on my face.. not the way they shaved.

I can understand why the NEW SC and LC are so popular here on B&B. I admit, I didn't really understand the appeal all that much, but I get it now. Still.... and don't hold me to this at a later date... I don't expect to be adding a lot more Vintage razors to my small collection. I still have to try out the FBT. My memory isn't clear about the shaves I got with it way back in August of 2022. The FBT was the first DE razor I used after using an AC razor for over 5 months and I had no idea what I was doing then, that's for sure. It will be interesting to note how one shaves now, almost 2 years later.

I have one shave left on my first Canada Shaving Soap tub.... I scraped down the remaining little section and have enough flakes for just that one additional shave. I haven't decided where to go from there. I'm thinking I might start rotating my other unscented soaps, croaps and creams. I don't have that many but I've been predominantly using CSS for the last 2 years. I know, as I mentioned, to 3017 the Baume.be. It only has about 1/8th of the tub left... So that won't take long.

I used a Nacet this morning and will continue to use them for the next month at least.

I have been mulling over where I am long this wet shaving journey of ours. I only have a couple razors I'd like to sell, but I tried that a week ago or so and there didn't seem to be much interest in them. I don't have any new razors on my radar at the moment.. modern or vintage.. I'm good with blades, both AC and DE. I did mention to @thombrogan the other day that my Mother's Schick injectors have been on my mind so I'll probably experiment with them and see if they work better for me now that I have an idea how to use them.

Brushes? I'm very happy with that small family of badgers. Do I want to get a Semogue Pegasus Mistura? I'm sure I would love it, but do I want another brush? My 4 SV badgers and 1 Mozingo are perfect in rotation for bowl lathering.. and I am happy rotating three other badgers for applying my pre-shaves. I am sort of waiting for the next SV Special Edition brush to be released... perhaps in the fall. With the right handle material, that would be of great interest to me....

When my razors get back from Chris, I plan to get some updated equipment photos posted. Three groups of razors: Stainless Steel and Titanium; Bronze, Brass and Gold-plated; Vintage.

I do have two packages coming in the next week or two....both are shipped and will get here when they get here. I have that Wolfman hollow bronze 3/7 with H2 knurling, and a Timeless Dimpled SS handle and stand on the way. I'll use that handle and stand for the SS scalloped Cap and 0.68SCL base plate that didn't sell the other day.. This will be my first Timeless SS razor. LOL... It will be interesting how the balance feels, using a Timeless razor as it was designed. <eg>
I love either heavy (stainless, brass etc.) or light (aluminum). The titanium razors I've had are all gone. For some reason I couldn't get along with those middleweights. Interested to see how you'll like the full blown stainless Timeless.
I love it!!

Top Bottom