What's new

Phase in the shaving journey

I started in last year and I've decided to simplify.

The hobby is awful. The constant new scents, new bases, new razors etc.

2024, I'm shaving with MdC soaps, using unscented aftershave, maybe some solid colognes on occasions. I'm reduced to 2 razors, Overlander/Apex. That's it. I'm astonished so many people spend 10-30 minutes just lathering their soap with their $450 brush. I spend at most maybe 30-45 seconds lathering and get on with my day.
This is the way. It is a fun, but utterly absurd "hobby." Shave, don't shave, use rhino fat, or vegan mayo, no one out in the world cares. I know many of the men here are attracted to a well-shaven man, and that is fine, but we are a very niche group.

I used to shave as infrequently as possible, because it was boring, irritating, and expensive. Now I shave as often as I can, because it is fun, soothing, and, well, still expensive.

For me it’s always been about routines. I was in sales the majority of my career and I always got up 5:30 and started the day. I would log in and do my necessary paperwork then take
a shower, shave and out the door. I would average 7-10 calls per day and was on my way home at 3:30.

Now in retirement I get up at 6:30 grab something to eat and go to the gym or walk outside . We get home and I take a shower everyday and shave every other day. The exception is if I am doing a project where I will sweat, I hold off on the shower until I am done with the project. If I didn’t have a routine I think depression would set in. I am not good at doing nothing.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I was a fairly consistent every other day shaver in retirement... when I first started wet shaving. This last round of inflation has me back working again... just delivering food but 12 hours a day, 5 days a week... The other two days, we help out our kids, watching our 7 month old now granddaughter while they work.

I really enjoy the leisure time I have when I shave in the evenings... but I'm a bit tired these days. I do find, when I use a brushless shave cream, I can cut off half an hour of my shaving time.... I enjoy the shave itself, but really prefer to apply lather and pre-shave with brushes... Still, I might go brushless for a while after we return from this trip and see how that goes.

I've tried to get back into the rhythm of shaving at least 3 times a week.... but I still haven't managed it after around 7 months or so of work. That remains my goal though unshaven, I fit right in here in Florida... old guys who shave every so often or not at all. <eg>

Top Bottom