What's new

Phantom Aerolite brush

I have 4 PAA brushes: Amber Aerolite, Solar Flare, Atomic Rocket, and Green Ray. They are all different (although they share typical synthetic brush features, I.e. soft tips).

The Phantom Aerolite knot is going to be the same as the Starcraft and Peregrino brushes except for size. The Roswell Grey knot in those two brushes has nice reviews.

Search for Peregrino in the Brush section and you’ll find some of them.

Among your 4 PAA brushes, which one splays the easiest? I like floppy brushes for face lathering creams, but am unsure of which PAA brush would best suit my preferences. Thanks.

Among your 4 PAA brushes, which one splays the easiest? I like floppy brushes for face lathering creams, but am unsure of which PAA brush would best suit my preferences. Thanks.
Good question. I’m not sure which, if any synthetic brushes you have tried, they may have the same/similar knots.

My ranking from hardest to splay to easiest is:
4. Amber Aerolite
3. Atomic Rocket
2. Green Ray
1. Solar Flare

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I see.

Maybe I misinterpreted the statement on PAA's webpage:

The Spectral Synth! Fans of our knots, especially the Roswell Grey (Peregrino/Starcraft Knot), will immediately recognize the similarity in feel and performance. In fact, the only real difference is the color and The Size! "

The Peregrino and Starcraft use the Roswell Grey knot.

Your post stated the Solar Flare, which uses the Nexus Hybrid knot:
Subject to your experience: is there any significant difference between these two knots (solar flare vs amber arolite) in terms of backbone and softness of the tips? I'm asking since the new brush basically features the knot of the solar flare but in a 26mm version.
Since I already have the 24mm amber arolite, I wonder....

The new knot resembles a Timberwolf. There are similarities in feel and performance between a Timberwolf Fan and the Roswell Grey.

The Solar Flare knot resembles a Cashmere knot - in color and feel.

The Amber Aerolite knot more closely resembles a Tuxedo knot. Different feel than the Timberwolf or Roswell Grey knots.

Please note that I said different, not necessarily better or worse. All of these brushes will do a fine job of building a lather (with most soaps and creams) and getting that lather spread around your face.

Hope this clarifies my other response. :)

Good question. I’m not sure which, if any synthetic brushes you have tried, they may have the same/similar knots.

My ranking from hardest to splay to easiest is:
4. Amber Aerolite
3. Atomic Rocket
2. Green Ray
1. Solar Flare

Thanks, I've tried some older synthetic that were horrible, my beloved L'Occitane Cade Plisson, and a few Yaqis. The Yaqis are all soft and usable, but their dense knots and shorts lofts make them feel firmer than I prefer.

I'm trying to find something closest to the L'Occitane Plisson.

Thanks, I've tried some older synthetic that were horrible, my beloved L'Occitane Cade Plisson, and a few Yaqis. The Yaqis are all soft and usable, but their dense knots and shorts lofts make them feel firmer than I prefer.

The “floppiest” of my PAA brushes is definitely the Solar Flare.
In this case floppy is not being used negatively. The Solar Flare splays easily, has wicked soft tips, and makes for a great face lathering brush (if you want soft/gentle).

The “floppiest” of my PAA brushes is definitely the Solar Flare.
In this case floppy is not being used negatively. The Solar Flare splays easily, has wicked soft tips, and makes for a great face lathering brush (if you want soft/gentle).

I like floppy brushes, and will likely take your advice on the Solar Flare if I order from PAA.

In your opinion, are the differences significant among the PAA brushes?

Thanks again.

I prefer softer or floppier synthetics as well. The Yaqis and a few others get more backbone because they set the knots deeper. PAA and West Coast shaving are the two that seem to have really good default knot depths. The Razorock 400 Noir is another good one.

I like floppy brushes, and will likely take your advice on the Solar Flare if I order from PAA.

In your opinion, are the differences significant among the PAA brushes?

Thanks again.
There’s a big difference between the Amber Aerolite and Solar Flare (regarding floppy/splay easily). A significant smaller difference between the Solar Flare and Green Ray.
My two Yaqi brushes are not floppy (tuxedo and mink knots).
Tell you what, if you want to try a PAA brush send me a pm and I’ll give you my Green Ray. Then you’ll have some idea and can make your next purchase decision.

Great review! I have been wanting to grab this brush, but I have so many (who doesn't right?!) But i just added it to my cart, lol

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Great review! I have been wanting to grab this brush, but I have so many (who doesn't right?!) But i just added it to my cart, lol

😋 Get the Rabid Banana The Cube while you're at it!

Love their soaps/AS. Currently well stocked on synthetics though.

🤔 Well. On soaps/AS too....

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
For sure, I especially love the aftershaves. Fantastic scents, and they last just about all day, some even longer!

The Mega Flora AS just nails the fougere accord. It's the best such I've found.

Their hardware tends to the classic and the software to creative.

AA

linty1

My wallet cries.
Wow this has got me tempted to pull the trigger on another paa brush... a smaller one and designate it a travel one. I have just one, the rocket, and its a bit too tall as a traveller. I dunno man.. I need another brush like I need more nagging.

Does anyone know, if the knot of the PAA Solar Flare is identical with the Cashmere knot from AP Shave Co? Found no informations about that.

Top Bottom