What's new

Pen Review - Reform 1745

I like Bob's format, so I'm shamelessly copying it.

Reform 1745

The Pen

This pen is what most would consider a "beater." Personally, I think every partaker of penly pleasures should have at least one or a dozen beaters. No shirt pocket? No problem, its small size and inexpensive price point alleviate one's fears when it's realized the pen was placed in the same pocket as the keys and roofing tacks. As such, there's no reason to spend time discussing the "packaging" or "presentation". When it arrives, it'll probably come from Europe in a small padded envelope, with a couple twin brothers if you're lucky.

With it's inexpensive price point in mind, let's focus on what a great pen this is!

Specs

Color:
Green barrel, black cap, black end cap. Blue Tinted ink window, hidden when capped.
Body Material –
Plastic?
Grip Material –
same as body of pen. No stepdown.
Internal Parts –
All Metal Parts Are Bright Aluminum
Filling Scheme –
Piston Filler
Nib -
Two-toned Steel, Iridium tipped nib. Springy
Furniture –
"Gold" clip and cap band.
Diameter Body –
9.87 mm
Diameter Cap and Clip –
10.1 mm
Diameter Grip –
9.87 mm
Body Length–
12 cm (nib to end; uncapped)
Cap Length–
6 cm
Capped Length -
12.9 cm
Nib Length
18 mm
Body and Cap Weight –
10.6 gm
Ink Capacity –
Unable to measure.

Significantly more than a cartridge.Here's a picture comparing the Reform to the F&C 2013 Essential (Model 27), Parker 21, and an Ahab. So I like green pens.

Fit and Finish

It's a beater. It'll probably be in nice shape when you buy one with the sticker still affixed. The black cap and end cap will show scratches rather easily. The body still seems to be in nice shape given the abuse it has received.

This pen is LIGHT! Your grandmother won't put her back out with this one.

The Nib

The nib on this pen ranks among the best I've experienced. It writes very smoothly, has quite a bit of spring - enough to allow some line variation with strong down strokes. It's not temperamental. The best part is that it's removable, à la the Pelikan or Esterbrook nibs!! More on that later.

Hand Feel

This is an easy pen to hold for someone with small to medium sized hands. It's very light, and that may cause some people angst. I love it. My hand never gets tired when writing. The grip doesn't step down, which is nice. Writing posted or on posted is essentially no different, unless you like to grip a little higher up the barrel.

Ink Capacity

Typical of piston fillers. A fill will typically last me a few weeks of regular note taking in meetings. Less if the meetings are boring and I doodle a lot. I suck at doodling, though.

Price Point/Purchase Options

This is a great pen for anyone looking for a beater. It will stand up well to abuse. Yet it's also a great pen for anyone looking for a terrific writer at a VERY low cost! Ebay is typically full of deals. Usually they can be found in sets of 2 or more. I paid $8 for 2 pens and $5 shipping from Germany. And I received the pens in about a week.

Summary

I LOVE this pen! It has an almost permanent place in my pocket. It's a breeze to fill, and just as easy to clean out. Since the nib removes, flushing takes seconds. Knowing how much ink is left, with a glance at the window is comforting. One of the pens I received needed the nib tines adjusted a bit, but that was no issue. I hope to order many more of these for the purpose of giving them to friends as a sure-fire enable. In meetings with the executives in my company, I see almost everyone with a Bird Splat roller ball in their pockets. They almost hardly ever use them to take notes. I feel rightly smug when I take out my $4 German school pen and scribble out the wishes of my overlords.

Bottom Line

I will absolutely buy again. I will buy several and pay them forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the review.

Would you say this is a decent starter pen for a newbie? How would you compare it to say a Pilot Metropolitan?

I started with this pen. I was deployed and ordered a pair and some ink. I've never used a Metro, but I'd say the Reform is a great starter. They're good pens and they also fly well. I used mine with no trouble flying every day as long as it's about half way full.

Thanks for the review.

Would you say this is a decent starter pen for a newbie? How would you compare it to say a Pilot Metropolitan?

they make great starter pens, although no longer in production they are plentiful on the auction sites. the metro will be easier to flush but the reform should hold more ink. the metro will be a heavier pen, while the reform will be light. i dont think for the money either tends to go for (although its been a while since I have had a look into the reforms) but you cant go wrong

They are nice pens! and I totally agree with everything in the review--light, hold plenty of ink, and with a very good 'spring' to the nib.

I bought 3 of them a while back (for something like $18 for them all), and it's good to get them in sets because from my experience they had some quality control issues and all of mine needed some tweaking to work well. One had a slightly misaligned nib (easy to fix, just gently bend it back), another had a pretty big rough spot on the nib, that some super-fine sandpaper (lapping film!) took care of. (be careful not to make a flat spot on the nib, though)

HAHAHA, I just remembered my amusing 'custom' sig line--I was actually wrong, it wasn't a 1749, it was a 1745, and the sticker had worn off. Still the most cost-effective babe magnet in my lifetime.

(For those that missed the original thread, I lent my fountain pen to a new acquaintance and she was very impressed :) )

they make great starter pens, although no longer in production they are plentiful on the auction sites. the metro will be easier to flush but the reform should hold more ink. the metro will be a heavier pen, while the reform will be light. i dont think for the money either tends to go for (although its been a while since I have had a look into the reforms) but you cant go wrong

Does the nib unit remove from the Metro? If not, I would probably disagree with the notion that it's easier to flush a metro. The twist action of the piston is smooth and short. And the nib being removable makes it a <2 minute process.

nib unit pulls right out of the metro (and prera and 78g). pilot nib is easier to clean because it separates from the feed and on the reform i'm pretty sure it's a single piece like on an estie.

nib unit pulls right out of the metro (and prera and 78g). pilot nib is easier to clean because it separates from the feed and on the reform i'm pretty sure it's a single piece like on an estie.

Ah. I was not aware. That changes things then.

Ok, I swear I looked for a 1745 review before posting mine today. I guess I somehow missed Jessy's. Great review and great details.

Ok, I swear I looked for a 1745 review before posting mine today. I guess I somehow missed Jessy's. Great review and great details.
:lol:

I considered giving you a hard time about yours, then I read it and realized it was better than mine.

Top Bottom