What's new

Pen Review: Parker 95

$20150120_125752.jpg

Today I present for review the Parker 95. This pen is no longer made, but can be easily found on popular auctions sites, which is where I purchased mine. These pens were readily available from the late 1980 to the mid 1990’s. As you can see from the picture above, the pen came in a clam shell case with Parker’s lifetime guarantee.

1. Appearance & Design (7) – This pen is designed in a functional and straight forward way. It does not come off as a fancy pen, but it does have a quality feel and heft to it. The nib on this pen is “semi” hooded in nature. These pens came in a number of finishes. This pen is the Black Laque version.

$20150120_125013.jpg
2. Construction & Quality (8) – This pen is well constructed and the finish is well done. I have had this pen for several years and have used it regularly during that time. The Black Laque finish has held up well and shows little signs of use.

$20150120_124925.jpg
3. Weight & Dimensions (9) – This pen weights right at 20 grams with the converter in. It is about 5 ¼ inches capped and 5 ¾ inches posted. At this size and weight the pen is very comfortable in hand posted. The pen is well balanced posted as well. For me the pen is a bit on the small side for use when not posted. This is a thin pen (much smaller than a Sheaffer TM model) This may be a drawback for some.

$20150120_125035.jpg

next to a Pilot Vanishing point for size reference.

Last edited:
1. Nib & Performance (9) – The nib is a 23k gold plated steel nib. This nib is a nail. However, it writes well every time and puts down a very smooth consistent line.

$20150120_125409.jpg
2. Filling System & Maintenance (8) – This pen has a cartridge converter system. It takes a Parker “aero” style converter. I prefer the Parker “aero” converters to the twist type converters, so I guess this makes its converter a step up over the others in my book. Maintenance on this pen is pretty straight forward; The converter comes out easily and the nib and feed can easily be taken apart for cleaning.

$20150120_124812.jpg
3. Cost & Value (10)(at the price I bought it) – I bought this pen on the bay for less than $15 shipped. At that price point, this is an awesome pen. For someone looking for a starter pen, I would highly recommend buying one at this price. However, back in the ‘90’s, Parker’s MSRP for this pen was $75.00 which is much more than I would pay for this pen today.
4. Conclusion (Final score, 51/60) – I like this pen. I have owned it longer than most of my pens for just that reason. If you can get a fair price for this pen, get it.

Top Bottom