What's new

GIVEAWAY! Participation PIF - A Tale Of Two Bridges

This was a fun event and I enjoyed using all three blades. My take aways: the Wilkinson Sword blades were mild but outstanding performers. The London Bridge blades were both excellent, the Chinese as good as the the English, in my experience. On to the next thing for me. Many thanks for the generosity that allowed this.

I missed a bit due to a hand injury but now I'm back to shaving regularly.

I used the English London Bridge for two more shaves. It was still feeling good but I could not get close in some spots. I can probably blame that on the razor/blade combo. The blade shaved so smoothly but just couldn't get it all in the normal shave pattern I use. I could probably go back and touch up spots, but long ago I stopped trying to chase a perfect shave at the risk of irritation.

Now I'm two shaves in on the Wilkinson blade. This blade will mow down any amount of stubble. No tugging or discomfort at all. Like a hot knife through butter. However I seem to notice the same problem I had with the English London Bridge: I still missed spots.

The shaves are perfectly adequate for any situation but when I look closely and feel my face I am missing the same areas. It's weird spots too that I don't miss with modern blades.

However, the Wilkinson and English London Bridge are much better than the Chinese model. Of course, this is only a 3 blade comparison.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_1252.jpeg

Participation PIF: A Tale Of Two Bridges.​

The end of week six for me and the end of my challenge with the Vintage Wilkinson Sword Light Brigade Chromium blade. Shave number seven on this blade and I must say I am glad that this week is done. Today I had several red blotches on my face after my shave, I gave myself a decent cut under ear area on the side of my neck and lots of sting when I applied my Alum Block. My face felt raw for most of the morning even after applying an aftershave balm. Week seven next week and back with the Chinese London Bridge blade. Hopefully a better week will be had.

Blade: London Bridge (UK)
Razor: Ikon X3 Slant
Mug: Green Rubber Marvy
Soap: Vintage Williams (AKA "Old Willie")
Brush: Mixed badger/boar
Post-shave: Thayers Toner WH, Nivea Men Sensitive PSB

Today's shave was very smooth in process. This blade is a real trouper.
The end result was a smooth, drama free shave; DFS with no effort.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_1268.jpeg

Week seven and third go with the Chinese London Bridge Super Stainless blade. Not a bad start to the week. One little weeper on my chin and a small amount of sting when I applied my Alum Block. The blade did feel a little tuggy when going ATG on my last pass. This happened with the other two times that I used this blade. The first time it mellowed out somewhat towards the end. I am hoping that this is going to go the same way. Fingers crossed.

Chinese-made London Bridge #2, shave #4

Razor: Henson AL13+
Blade: Chinese-made London Bridge (orange wrapper) (4)
Cream: Palmolive Classic
Brush: No-name badger off of Amazon
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Ice Blue followed by Nivea Sensitive balm

Last shave with this blade today. It was good. Again, I don't find it as sharp as the other two and therefore I find that I'm not quite as close, but certainly a good shave. After a full round of each plus another round with the Chinese-made London Bridge, I maintain that

Wilkinson Sword > English-made London Bridge > Chinese-made London Bridge

But I enjoyed the second round of the Chinese-made blade more than the first round. Let's see what happens next with the English-made blade.

5482AFAC-D2D0-43B0-A2DC-8F5B3F0E1984.JPG

UK London Bridge Blade #2 Shave #6

It was a fairly good shave, but I got a heckuva tug on my chin today. I don't think I've ever felt one like that, but I hadn't shaved since Friday morning, so I may have had a sasquatch whisker growing there. Everything else was simply smooth and comfortable, though.

These are good blades, and if they weren't hard to find and expensive to procure, I'd definitely have more. I am going to keep my eyes peeled for them though.

Blade: Light Brigade (UK)
Razor: Blackland Era Level 2
Brush: LJS SHD Badger

Back to the "A" Team! Today's shave was smooth as silk in process.

The end result was a smooth, drama free shave; Another BBS with no real effort.

Razor- RazoRock Old Type
Blade- Light Brigade blade 2 shave 3
Soap- Smooth Suds Tallow
Brush- SF 20mm 2 band badger
Aftershave- Gillette cool wave
Another excellent shave this evening. Probably the best shave of the pif for me and from the blade up till now I had ranked third.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_1286.jpeg

Week seven and shave number two on my third dance with the Chinese London Bridge Super Stainless blade. Again the blade felt a little tuggy on my third pass ATG. Otherwise the shave was acceptable but not great. I did have a couple of red marks on my chin and cheeks and a little sting when I applied my Alum Block. We will see how shave number three on this blade goes tomorrow morning.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Agreed! I put 10? I think shaves on that blade, and it's still going strong.

I recently went to Indiana to see the eclipse, so I thought that it was time to put that blade in storage. Still delivering great shaves, so it will be stored for a bit.

View attachment 1832297
This has been my setup for the last two shaves. It is superior to the orange wrapped one, in my opinion, and that is high praise! The half pipe (lol) is Avon Tai Winds..... Definitely one of the top 5 Avon aftershave lotions!
Shave number 3 was the best shave yet with the 2 blades I've used. A 9.999/10 on the @BigJ scale!

Blade: London Bridge (CH)
Razor: Ikon B1 Slant
Brush: Mixed Boar/Badger

Today's shave was smooth as silk in process. The B1 felt a lot better than my earlier uses of it, undoubtedly due to the LBCH. This blade and razor seem made for each other.

The end result was a smooth, drama free shave.
A DFS+ with no real effort. If it was any closer, it would have been a BBS.

Using the 2nd Chinese London Bridge
I think I have 2 unreported uses: both were head and face shaves.
One using an adjustable Executive and one using the Wunderbar. Both great shaves, maybe smoother (less passes needed) w the Wunderbar.
I am still leaning towards ranking this blade #1 of the test, and having to admit that I did not predict it.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_1304.jpeg

Week seven and shave number three on my third dance with the Chinese London Bridge Super Stainless blade. Not bad today, very little redness of any. Minimal sting when I applied my Alum Block and no blood. The tuggyness ATG seems to have abated. Hopefully onwards and upwards for the rest of the week.

English-made London Bridge #2, shave #1

Razor: Henson AL13+
Blade: English-made London Bridge (1)
Soap: Pre de Provence N. 63
Brush: No-name badger off of Amazon
Aftershave: Old Spice followed by Nivea Sensitive balm

Excellent shave today! Wow! Usually my best shaves with a blade are #'s 2 and 3, but this blade performed tremendously today. There's no doubt in my mind that for me the English-made London Bridge is superior to the Chinese-made London Bridge. It cut through the whiskers like a hot knife through buttah today. Very pleased.

Top Bottom