What's new

PAA Meta-4 opinions

My primary razor is currently a Henson AL13+. I also have a pre-war Gillette Tech and a Baili BD176. I've bought and passed on some other razors over the last couple of years (post-war Gillette Tech, a Weishi TTO, and a few others). I've never invested in a high-end razor. It's just not that important to me. I'm kinda getting the itch for something else and have been considering a Henson++, Karve Bison, Karve Overlander, or a PAA Meta-4. I've found quite a bit of info on the Henson and the Karves, but less so on the PAA. I realize that they are all vastly different designed (except for maybe the Henson and the Bison), but they are all touted as mild, yet efficient. Any thoughts from anyone who has used the PAA in particular?

Its been on my wanted list since it was released. There always seems to be some other shiny thing that works its way to the top of the list. If you end up with one, let us know how it goes.

I've tried some PAA razors and here's my thought.

Alpha Ecliptic - smooth and efficient shaver but there are better slants like Merkur 37, ATT S1 or Rex Konsul

Ascension Twist Adjustable - If it's an adjustable razor, every 3 piece razors are adjustable.so naming it adjustable is gimmick. Another smooth efficienct shaver. It shaves better than its original, GSK, which is the mildest razor I've ever tried. But at this price range, I would go for Razorock, Henson or Twig.

Meta-4 - I've tried many,many premium razors. While Meta-4 is priced less than half of them, it is one of the best modern razors out there. I prefer it to Overlander, Henson, or various Razorock offerings. Very smooth and deceptively efficient. I also had the original Kirby Beard razor and I don't think I can pick the original if I do a blind test. It is really copied well. (except the ugly, boring Gillette SS handle.)

Last edited:
I had a Meta 4 at one time. It was a good shaver but I never could get over the overly large (wide) head. Ended up getting rid of it. I remember it being mild yet efficient, but not as efficient as my top razors.

So I purchased a Meta-4 from another B&B member. I've now used it 3 times. Here are my thoughts. The razor is extremely smooth. There's barely any blade feel at all. In fact, it's the only razor that I have been able to go ATG on my neck with - ever. That being said, it's fairly efficient, but not overly so. As @gdawg55 says, the head is very wide (long). The head is slightly wider than my Henson, but because of a gap on the edges of the head, the cutting length of the blade is significantly less. Because of the length of the head but the diminished cutting length, in tight places around the jawline and the curves of the neck, I am having trouble getting super close. I really like the design. I just wish that the head was slightly less long and that the blade extended further towards the edges.

But if BBS is not a pursuit, and if you're looking for a smooth daily driver that would be trouble free, the Meta-4 may certainly fit the bill.

The above being said, I'm looking forward to more shaves to get acquainted with it and dial in the technique for this unusual head.

Top Bottom