What's new

Overcoming Safety Razor Fear

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
A little over three years ago, I converted from cartridge razor shaving about three times a week directly to daily SR shaving. I skipped the safety razor step as I was dead scared of them.

A few months ago I decided that I needed to try and overcome my fear of safety razors. About once or twice a week after one of my daily three-pass SR shaves, I would get out a Ming Shi 2000S and perform a single WTG pass. I started off on setting 1. Over the months I worked my way up to setting 6, the most aggressive. All went well and without any weepers, nicks, cuts or irritation.

This morning after my SR shave I decided to up the ante another step. This time I actually fitted a blade (new Astra) into the 2000S, again starting off on setting 1. Over the next few months I will again try and work my way up to setting 6. So far all is looking good, no skin damage.

The blade prep is a bit of a chore but hopefully this one blade will last me until I build up my courage to a setting 6 shave.

Before inserting the blade, I bread-knifed both edges on the side of a 1k whetstone. My thinking is that if it doesn't cut paper, it won't cut my skin.

Knowing how to use a DE safety razor might be useful if you get too enfeebled to use a straight. I still have a few DEs lying around for that reason.

You are right to be concerned though. I have previously posted about the last time I used a DE and having to wait a few days to shave again whilst the wounds healed.

Just like starting out with a straight, be careful and take your time. One pass only, focusing on the easy to shave areas like your cheeks to start with. There is no shame in going back to a straight to finish the job or touch up areas.

Good luck.

I wouldn't dare shaving with a SR razor, unless the water I use for my prep is soft. With the hard water within my area, shaving with a SR is very painful. At first I thought that the razors I have are not sharp enough, but after receiving razors from 3 different people, who claim to be very good at honing them, I've quickly realised that the problem lies somewhere else and so far my theory is that it's the water, since in some instances I have a hard time shaving with DE as well.

Okay I'd venture to say that most wet shavers see things in the exact opposite light. They use double-edged razors freely but live in fear of straight razors.

It's kind of comforting to know that the trepidation exist in reverse. Please take no offense to my expressing comfort in your fear.

As you know, I myself only took my first passes with a straight razor last November. This was after over 10 years of double-edge razor shaving. I'm now fear-free of straight razors, but not ignorant to what they can do with improper care.

Your situation is interesting, relatable and enlightening. As stated, just take your time and you'll be comfortable with double-edge razors in no time.

Thank you for this honest sharing @rbscebu.

Agree with one comment above, interesting to see fear in this direction. I recently started using safety razors after several years of mostly straights. I say mostly because sometimes I was just lazy and used a crappy cartridge piece 🤷🏻‍♂️

Having a healthy fear of an unfamiliar format is no dysfunction.

On the contrary, it only makes sense to fully respect an implement that, if improperly wielded, can shred your face.

It really is amazing how utterly acclimated and frankly...casual we all get about this after having done it for months, years or decades.

Dragging an insanely sharp wedge of steel across your mug is an inherently dangerous endeavor.

FWIW, I believe you are doing it right. Starting slowly and ramping up gradually as you build experience. That's a wise approach for many things in life, shaving in particular.

A little over three years ago, I converted from cartridge razor shaving about three times a week directly to daily SR shaving. I skipped the safety razor step as I was dead scared of them.

A few months ago I decided that I needed to try and overcome my fear of safety razors. About once or twice a week after one of my daily three-pass SR shaves, I would get out a Ming Shi 2000S and perform a single WTG pass. I started off on setting 1. Over the months I worked my way up to setting 6, the most aggressive. All went well and without any weepers, nicks, cuts or irritation.

This morning after my SR shave I decided to up the ante another step. This time I actually fitted a blade (new Astra) into the 2000S, again starting off on setting 1. Over the next few months I will again try and work my way up to setting 6. So far all is looking good, no skin damage.

The blade prep is a bit of a chore but hopefully this one blade will last me until I build up my courage to a setting 6 shave.

Before inserting the blade, I bread-knifed both edges on the side of a 1k whetstone. My thinking is that if it doesn't cut paper, it won't cut my skin.
I have heard you talk up daily SR shaving for years and I have always appreciated your insights. I am glad that you are taking the plunge into DE. For various reasons I can't/won't use an SR. But as a way to improve my DE shaving technique I have been watching SR shave videos and reading from the SR forum here. De shaving is its own skill and has its own tools (toys) but many things are transferable. Enjoy the process I am 9 years in and I am still learning.

I've been shaving mostly with SRs but started with DEs then SEs. I think once you get the hang of it you'll find it much easier than your SR shaves with less need for full concentration even with the most aggressive razors.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Knowing how to use a DE safety razor might be useful if you get too enfeebled to use a straight. I still have a few DEs lying around for that reason.

You are right to be concerned though. I have previously posted about the last time I used a DE and having to wait a few days to shave again whilst the wounds healed.

Just like starting out with a straight, be careful and take your time. One pass only, focusing on the easy to shave areas like your cheeks to start with. There is no shame in going back to a straight to finish the job or touch up areas.

Good luck.
If I become too feeble to use a straight razor, I’ll be going back to carts. I absolutely hate DE’s; damned little nicking machines.

Put me in the same boat. I'll run a SR or any random knife I finish on my face without fear, but the safety razor causes me some trepidation. I know it's the fear of the unknown. Since the Safety Razor did successfully supplant the SR, there must be something to it.

You should have been over it after one good shave. Months you say?? You're a lost cause I'm afraid. Nicks are just little report cards, so you know not to do whatever caused it again. They stop happening.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
You should have been over it after one good shave. Months you say?? You're a lost cause I'm afraid. Nicks are just little report cards, so you know not to do whatever caused it again. They stop happening.
So far, I have not drawn any blood with DE shaving. This is probably because for the first few months I had no blade in the razor. Now every Friday after my SR shave I do a single WTG pass using my DE razor. This time it has a blade fitted but I bread-knifed both edges of the blade on a 1k whetstone before fitting.

Still l no blood drawn!

It's not so much drawing blood the scares me. I've drawn enough while developing my SR shaving technique. My fear is in not being able to see the edge of the blade when it is near or on my skin.

Auditory feedback and feel are the two ways I know where and how things are going with the blade. Often for me the sound of the blade feedback will change before the feel changes. Just my 2 cents. Enjoy the process.

[...]My fear is in not being able to see the edge of the blade when it is near or on my skin.
Does it then follow that you need a mirror to shave with a straight razor? You're one more data point to suggest the triumph of the safety razor is due the interchangeable blade and not the safety.

I think I'm the opposite. I don't need the mirror modulo some finer work maintaining shaved and unshaven borders. And the safety, intuiting it there without leaning on it, is the add value of the DE (in addition to the maintenance free edge).

Anyway. All the best.

FWIW --

I gave up shaving with SR's -- after a reasonable trial -- many years ago. My reason:

. . . The depth of cut was unlimited.

With a DE razor, even a very aggressive (big blade gap) DE razor, the blade _cannot_ go very deep into the skin. That's why it's also called a _safety_ razor.

Also, while you may not be able to _see_ the edge of the blade with a DE, you can _feel_ the edge of the blade, well before it nicks you. So the mirror gives you one indication, and your own skin gives you another one.

My experience with a DE is that:

. . . .If you stretch your skin well (something you should have learned with SR shaving),

. . . and you are sensitive to how much pressure you're putting on the blade (both at the skin, and in your fingers),

. . . you will _never_ get a deep cut (the razor prevents it), and you will rarely (if ever) get a nick.

The goal is to use so little pressure, that the edge of the blade never breaks through the lubricating layer of the lather. Again, SR practice should have taught you that. It's the feel of the blade on your skin that will guide you, not the image in the mirror.

I use Feather blades, which require very little (or no) pressure. Duller blades may require some pressure to cut hair against the skin, and IMHO increase the chance of a nick. (The chef's rule: If you don't want to get cut, use a sharp knife.)

And relax, eh? <g>

. Charles

I can see why you were scared. I still would be. You chose one of the most aggressive face hackers made. I'd consider the straight razor safer as there is more control. I have quite a number of double edged safety razors, but after looking at the Merkur Future (the 2000s is a copy) I decided to avoid the need for bandaids. Personally, I think there are better razors out there.

Top Bottom