What's new

Over honed razor repair

What is the best way to repair an over honed razor? Is it possible?
An e-bay purchase not up to snuff needs lots of work and some good advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,

:thumbup1:

Overhoned usually means it's "too sharp", i.e. the wire edge. It's so sharp that the metal can't hold the edge, it breaks off and gives a very unpleasant shave.

If that's what you mean, you can back hone, do a pyramid on norton, etc.

I suspect you mean something else though.

Targ, are you saying that the edge is over-honed (wire edge) or did the previous owner hone it to death leaving a very flattened spine with all kinds hone wear? This might help you get better answers.

Jordan

Overhoned usually means it's "too sharp", i.e. the wire edge. It's so sharp that the metal can't hold the edge, it breaks off and gives a very unpleasant shave.

If that's what you mean, you can back hone, do a pyramid on norton, etc.

I suspect you mean something else though.

Ay carumba, don't say too sharp, thats an oxymoron. A razor can never be too sharp. At a certain point the edge is just ruined. The only question is the degree and if a repair is minimal or major.

My guess is that he means to say a razor with to much hone wear on the spine. Lets see the pics

Ok here are the pictures :tongue_sm
It is the spine that has been flattened and the pictures show this well.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

FWIW the razor pictured has excessive and uneven hone wear; overhoned is something else. I would hone that razor with a 45 degree heal leading X-pattern.

FWIW the razor pictured has excessive and uneven hone wear; overhoned is something else. I would hone that razor with a 45 degree heal leading X-pattern.

So the razor can be repaired honing it in the manner you indicated or the razor will need to be honed like that to get an even edge on it period and I will need to learn to live with the spine like that?

So the razor can be repaired honing it in the manner you indicated or the razor will need to be honed like that to get an even edge on it period and I will need to learn to live with the spine like that?

You will need to learn to live with the spine like that unless you get the razor completely reground which would most likely not be worth it on that one. Excessive spine wear is one of the main things to look for when you are purchasing a razor; I really try to avoid it unless the razor is really something special.

Top Bottom