What's new

Other uses for double edge blades you don't like?

I know that any particular brand blade may be awful in one safety razor but will work great in a different razor.
I have a few packs of blades that don't work well in my razor and I don't plan on buying any more razors any
time soon (so to try those blades in a different razor), so I was curious if anyone came up with any other uses for the blades you wouldn't want to shave with again.

i use them for vehicle graphics and window tint. they work far better then most normal blades and for me they give me better control when im cutting the vinyl / masked off areas for paint / dipping on the cars (used to own a car audio shop and still do a lot on the side) i made a plastic handle to put them in so i dont hold them with my fingers. they work great actually.

i just used a old blade today in fact for something different we had to get a new front house door since our old one was in rough shape (it was a older wood door with some rot at the bottom) i was able to use the same door frame but i had to move the hinges and strike plates. so i routed out the places where the new ones would go and that left me some gaps to fill. i used water putty (awesome stuff) to fill the gaps with the new hinges and plates screwed in place and covered in tape. let it setup a bit and used a couple old blades snapped in half to carefully cut along the outside of each hinge and plate to give me a nice clean sharp line for the new ones. worked awesome!!! i find all kinds of uses for them... including old used ones many times.

I used to put them in apples for Halloween, but that practice is somewhat frowned upon these days. Now I PIF them to other members...sans apples.

i use them for vehicle graphics and window tint. they work far better then most normal blades and for me they give me better control when im cutting the vinyl / masked off areas for paint / dipping on the cars (used to own a car audio shop and still do a lot on the side) i made a plastic handle to put them in so i dont hold them with my fingers. they work great actually.

i just used a old blade today in fact for something different we had to get a new front house door since our old one was in rough shape (it was a older wood door with some rot at the bottom) i was able to use the same door frame but i had to move the hinges and strike plates. so i routed out the places where the new ones would go and that left me some gaps to fill. i used water putty (awesome stuff) to fill the gaps with the new hinges and plates screwed in place and covered in tape. let it setup a bit and used a couple old blades snapped in half to carefully cut along the outside of each hinge and plate to give me a nice clean sharp line for the new ones. worked awesome!!! i find all kinds of uses for them... including old used ones many times.

How did you create the plastic handle? Would you post a picture of it?
I was thinking of using a binder clip that is as wide as a blade as a handle.
Thanks!

Funny this topic comes up. I had a car recently where the police put a large sticker on the windshield warning it would be towed. Sticker was impossible to remove with just my finger nails. So I crabbed a used Feather and Astra SP to peel off the sticker. The Astra had trouble getting a clean cut while the Feather peeled the massive sticker off instantly.

I use all the ones I have, but when I finish with a third shave, they can be used for opening packages or as a poor man's exacto knife.

What about a sickle, or a racing razor blade iceboat? :001_rolle :wink2:

$med_razor_sickle.jpg
Source: Modern Mechanix

$xlg_razor_ice_boat_0.jpg
Source: Modern Mechanix

Top Bottom