What's new

One step closer to getting a pen.

So i lurk here from time to time. Post here and there but i have been eyeing the lamy safari charcoal pen i think it is. Cheap and nice looking with decent reviews. Did i buy the pen? No but my wife got me a moleskine book so i think by april first i will toss my crappy zebra fountain for something slightly better :)

My starter was an Ohto F-Spirit that was highly forgettable. Years later, I tried a Pilot Metropolitan and was hooked. :thumbup:

Keep the Zebra, as it may write better in the Moleskin notebook than a fountain pen. I found some bleeding and feathering on the small moleskin pocket notebooks I've tried with various fountain pens.

I really like my Lamy Safari that I picked up in January. As a bonus, you can easily change the nibs out on it if you want to experiment with different sizes.

My zebra is a fountain. Reason I don't like it is because it stops writing all the time. As far as collecting i cant seem to get one nice one lol. The nice ones are just crazy money.

If you're going to be writing in that Moleskine book, you'll probably want a pen with a Fine or Extra Fine nib. The paper has a reputation as being very prone to feathering and bleed-through with fountain pens. A finer nib will lay down less ink and reduce that possibility.

My personal recommendation is a Pilot Metropolitan with a Fine nib. Should cost you about $15.

The Safari you're looking at is a solid pen with a grip that is love or hate. For me, it's a hate, but many many many more people love it. Just be aware that it's a potential annoyance to deal with. If at all possible, find a way to lay hands on it before shelling out the money for it. As has already been mentioned, the Moleskine paper kind of sucks. Don't write off the pen if your words and letters look like crap. The paper really isn't all that great for fountain pens.

Whats a good notebook to use with a fountain? Ill just use the moleskine to use as my planner since it wont work.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
+1 on Black N Red & Pilot Metropolitan. Also consider the Nemosine Singularity at about the same price and the ability to swap out different sized nibs.

If you are on a budget, Target has some Mead Cambridge "Premium Notebook" options in various sizes on clearance. I picked up several fullsize A4 notebooks with top spiral binding on clearance for $2.61 each! They were normally $3.48 on clearance, but my bridge thoughtfully used Target's Cartwheel app for an extra 20% off, and Target Red Card netted another 5% off. I thought they wrote a lot better than the Black & Red notebook I picked up at Office Max.

Top Bottom