What's new

Old ink

Im sure this has been covered but I'll ask anyway :biggrin1:

I picked up some older ink in an antique store and was wondering if it can be used in my Parker 51

I'm pretty sure the Super Quink has not been opened before, the Pelikan drawing ink also seems to be new and the Skrip (brown) has been used but is at least 3/4 full.
The empty Parker bottle I will use to decant some modern ink into it

I would like to use the Super Quink but wasnt sure if ink goes bad??
I really dont want to fill the pen with insta clog ink or have hair and fuzz growing out of the nib :001_smile

I actually found some older ink at the antique store but like I said I wasnt sure if vintage ink can be used..these ones were cheap enough ($3 each) to take a gamble

Here is the Super Quink compared to a new bottle of Quink.
How old would the Super Quink be? 1970's?

Bottom of the Super Quink

Bottom of the empty Parker bottle

Thanks and my apologies if these are stupid newbie questions
Kevin

The "51" was designed for Superchrome :wink2: so it eats anything!

Check if there is mold growing in the ink before filling, of course.

Edit: do NOT use the drawing inks!!

The quink and skrip will be great to use if there is no mold... typically you would prefer that they had never been opened and are NOS

I have old quink... and lots use old skrip and love it

Nice score on tue bottles

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Where are you finding all these things! You know you're gonna get beaten up by jealous B&Bers if we catch you :tongue_sm

That Skrip bottle should have a little mini-inkwell on the inside to assist with filling your pen. I've been looking (well, casually looking) for one of those bottles. Let me know if you come across an empty Akkerman's bottle.

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Nice score. As said before, don't use the Pelikan technical ink, it will clog and ruin a fountain pen.

Edit: do NOT use the drawing inks!!

That was designed for the stainless drafting dip nibs, right?

$drafting-pen.jpg

Ok, again ... drawing ink was NOT designed for fountain pens!

It will clog up your sons pens very badly! Really!

Top Bottom