What's new

Old Colgate Soap

Found this box of Colgate shave soap at an antique store a couple months ago. They wanted $12, what the heck. I thought is was cool and when you open the case it smells amazing.

Would you think it is useable or just another item for the vintage collection?

soap.jpg
soap2.jpg

cool find, ive seen a lot of posts here about using vintage soap, should be just fine as another poster has stated. im surprised it still smells though, i was under the impression most vintage soaps lose most of their scent over time. maybe the packaging held on to the fragrance? will be interested to read how this works for you.

Nice deal on soap! I would have snapped that up.

My Colgate-Palmolive-Peet Handy Stick works fine. If you put it in a mug and use it regularly, one of your pucks will probably work better and better as it rehydrates.

It should work fine, it will be probably be very dried out. You might want to brush it with some water and just let it hydrate for a little while before using it the first time. Keep it in a mug or teacup since that is the way it was made to be used.

I used the soap and it is incredible. Found the most suitable mug I had. Wet the soap a couple times about an hour be for use. As soon as I started to build lather the scent was very prominent. It smelled like the boxes lol. Went with and old Gillette razor and my oldest brush to keep the theme.

IMG_0645.jpg

After seeing this (and having recently acquired an unused Colgate Handy Stick), I immediately ran into a fresh old puck of Colgate. Has a barcode.

If I hadn't been reading this and related threads I never would have paid the $10 asking price. $1/puck is a dream!

Package says Mug, puck says Cup. For my money, Colgate never made more than one shave soap recipe at a time. Cup vs Mug is not a thing. I used this puck 'like a stick' once. Not a fair trial, but... The soap in the Handy Stick is more to my liking. Creamier lather. So different eras of Colgate are a thing. I bet the Cup pucks that started this thread (from Colgate-Palmolive-Peet) are superior to my later Mug/Cup version.

Hey @Mr00classic , can we see one of your pucks out of the box?

IMG_5758.jpeg
IMG_5759.jpeg
IMG_5760.jpeg

Been using vintage Colgate soaps for a good amount of time. Started and finished a puck during this past summer.

Colgate soap in boxes printed Mug soap are not the same, or as good, as what they sold in in the boxes printed 'Cup Soap'. They changed their formula at some point I believe it was in the 70s but maybe 80s. The boxes changed, but they kept using the old molds and those pucks are still printed 'cup soap'.

I'll only use the stuff in boxes stamped Cup Soap or the old barber rolls. It's good stuff. Condition matters... if the soap has turned solid brown or dried up so it just turns to dust if you grate it, then there is a good chance it is doa.

Been using vintage Colgate soaps for a good amount of time. Started and finished a puck during this past summer.

Colgate soap in boxes printed Mug soap are not the same, or as good, as what they sold in in the boxes printed 'Cup Soap'. They changed their formula at some point I believe it was in the 70s but maybe 80s. The boxes changed, but they kept using the old molds and those pucks are still printed 'cup soap'.

I'll only use the stuff in boxes stamped Cup Soap or the old barber rolls. It's good stuff. Condition matters... if the soap has turned solid brown or dried up so it just turns to dust if you grate it, then there is a good chance it is doa.
Can the soap dried up so much that it become unusable. I would have thought (perhaps incorrectly) that after 2-3 years, all the water that can be evaporated is already escaped. These puck are not several tens of inches thick.

Top Bottom