What's new

Oats - Overnight oats that is!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Week 1 of using Flax Seeds in the mix (instead of Hemp Hearts).

No noticeable difference in the texture or taste. I used 10 grams. I might increase the dose next week and possibly remove the chia seeds.

Luc

Staff member
This week's Overnight oats:

• Monday - Pear-Coconut-protein powder oats. I'm trying to finish my protein powder. I find it a bit too sweet but it works well with fruits that are less sweet or too sour. Pears were cheaper at Costco instead of apples, so pears it is.
  • Wednesday - Coffee-Orange-Banana oats. I want to remake this one but instead of making an espresso and mixing it with the oats, I put 6 grams of ground beans directly in. I'm expecting this to be a bit bitter so I will need honey to rebalance it on Wednesday morning.
  • Friday - Apple crumble oats. 20 grams of flax seeds instead of 10 grams of flax/10 grams of chia seeds.
The base remains the same. I found an old apple in my fridge so that's where I got the apple crumble going. The pots that I'm using have a really good seal. An apple or banana doesn't turn brown after a few days which tells me that they are closing well!

Luc

Staff member
Looks like my 5 pounds of pears from Costco aren't very popular here so it will mainly be pear-based next week.

I was surprised this morning with my coffee-Orange-Banana oats using 6 grams of coffee (ground coffee bean). It wasn't bitter and did not need any sugar (honey). When I make an espresso and put it in the oats, it's usually bitter. I was thinking of trying instant coffee or even Chicory coffee if it turned out too bitter but that was actually really good. 6 grams was enough so it's not overpowering the orange and banana.

Luc

Staff member
Friday - Apple crumble oats

To be honest, I prefer the texture of the chia seeds compared to flax seeds. It was quite good but I believe that Chia is the way to go!

Luc

Staff member
Pear-base oats this week.

This morning, Pear-crumble (instead of apple crumble). My oats were bitter for the last few weeks. I realized that my powdered ginger was too old. I bought a new one yesterday and it was much better (and stronger) today.

I'm almost done with the protein powder. I won't buy another one since I'm using PB&me (powdered peanut butter) and a lot more of Greek yogurt to boost those proteins.

Luc

Staff member
Apple-mania this week.

So Apple crumbles twice (Monday and Friday).

This morning, I added some protein powder (to finish my jar), shredded coconut (unsweetened), and some ground coffee beans. Taste like cake!

The ground coffee beans are very surprising and it doesn't take much (between 4-6 grams).

Luc

Staff member
I tried this week to put 10 grams of ground coffee beans into my oats. Stronger, maybe too much. I prefer the subtle taste that I get between 5-6 grams.

I ran out of protein powder on Sunday. I won't be buying another jar. I prefer putting more greek yogurt (more volume, around the same amount of calories and proteins).

Luc

Staff member
The overnight oats are still alive. Still 3 times a week!

This week's variations are

Monday - Apple crumble extra ginger - Cheap coffee version
  • 40 grams of quick oats
  • 150ml of unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • 10 grams of slivered almonds
  • 10 grams of hemp seeds
  • 10 grams of Chia seeds
  • 200 grams of plain Greek yogurt (I use lactose-free and 0%)
  • 1 green apple (around 140 grams)
  • 50 grams of blueberries
  • 1 teaspoon of cinnamon (or maybe a tablespoon, I put a lot of cinnamon)
  • 15 grams of fresh ginger root (grated)
  • 1 teaspoon (around 5 grams) of coffee grains used

The first change: Ginger. Ginger added a good kick and it was much better than the dry ginger. If you have a piece of ginger and a microplane, you can try this one easily.

Second change: used coffee grains. I don't drink instant coffee and most recipes ask for instant coffee or chicory coffee (if you don't drink coffee) for that "coffee" flavor. Since I have a lot of "real" coffee, that's what I use. I thought I should try the cheap version by re-using coffee that was already infused (you know, limit the trash). The bottom line, it wasn't bad but it didn't add anything. The flavor all went in the coffee that I infused. I will stick to freshly ground beans.

Wednesday - Peanut butter banana - Extra peanuts
  • 40 grams of quick oats
  • 10 grams of hemp seeds
  • 10 grams of Chia seeds
  • 1 banana (around 105-110 grams)
  • 15 grams of Powdered peanut butter (PB&ME)
  • 15 grams of natural peanut butter (or creamy regular PB).
  • 1 teaspoon (around 5 grams) of coffee grains
This one is pretty much what I've been doing for a while with the peanut butter/banana Overnight Oats. This time around, I added regular peanut butter to the powdered peanut butter. I use powdered peanut butter to limit the calories and fat intake. If I double my powdered peanut butter, I would probably come back to the same with a bit fewer calories (which is what I will try next week).

This week's result is peanuts with peanuts! If you like peanut butter, that doubled version is very nice.

For the coffee beans, well, there's something about the banana + coffee that goes together.

Just a side note, don't put fresh peanuts in overnight oats, they will be soggy the very next day.

Overnight oats are my go too pre-workout breakfast on weekends. So my recipe comes with a grain of salt, noting that it's fuel for long bike rides (100+ miles) as opposed to casual breakfast.

I like mine a bit on the sweet side but I go:

1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 cup whole milk
2 tbsp chia seeds
2 tsp maple syrup
1 tbsp creamy peanut butter
1 dash of vanilla extract
A few shakes of a salt shaker

Its really quite tasty and the macros are excellent.

The overnight oats are still alive. Still 3 times a week!

This week's variations are

Monday - Apple crumble extra ginger - Cheap coffee version
  • 40 grams of quick oats
  • 10 grams of hemp seeds
  • 10 grams of Chia seeds
  • 1 green apple (around 140 grams)
  • 15 grams of fresh ginger root (grated)
  • 1 teaspoon (around 5 grams) of coffee grains used

The first change: Ginger. Ginger added a good kick and it was much better than the dry ginger. If you have a piece of ginger and a microplane, you can try this one easily.

Second change: used coffee grains. I don't drink instant coffee and most recipes ask for instant coffee or chicory coffee (if you don't drink coffee) for that "coffee" flavor. Since I have a lot of "real" coffee, that's what I use. I thought I should try the cheap version by re-using coffee that was already infused (you know, limit the trash). The bottom line, it wasn't bad but it didn't add anything. The flavor all went in the coffee that I infused. I will stick to freshly ground beans.

Wednesday - Peanut butter banana - Extra peanuts
  • 40 grams of quick oats
  • 10 grams of hemp seeds
  • 10 grams of Chia seeds
  • 1 banana (around 105-110 grams)
  • 15 grams of Powdered peanut butter (PB&ME)
  • 15 grams of natural peanut butter (or creamy regular PB).
  • 1 teaspoon (around 5 grams) of coffee grains
This one is pretty much what I've been doing for a while with the peanut butter/banana Overnight Oats. This time around, I added regular peanut butter to the powdered peanut butter. I use powdered peanut butter to limit the calories and fat intake. If I double my powdered peanut butter, I would probably come back to the same with a bit fewer calories (which is what I will try next week).

This week's result is peanuts with peanuts! If you like peanut butter, that doubled version is very nice.

For the coffee beans, well, there's something about the banana + coffee that goes together.

Just a side note, don't put fresh peanuts in overnight oats, they will be soggy the very next day.
Damn! (hear gabriel iglesias...lol)

wow, thats some oats! yikes....loving the PB idea! I used to add PB and a couple chunks of dark chocolate if i was making on the stove.

When I used to do overnight oats though my recipe was pretty unscientific but i liked it.

grab a suitable bowl
pour in desired amount of oats (maybe 2/3rds full)
cover with full fat milk
would add a splodge of greek yogurt if i had it
a handful of juicy fat sultanas
good squeeze of honey (big swirkle)
add cinnamon to taste.

serve with my usual double espresso with equal amount of velvety micro steamed milk

Luc

Staff member
Today was altered at the last minute.

Pear Overnight Oats
  • 40 grams of quick oats
  • 10 grams of hemp seeds
  • 10 grams of Chia seeds
  • 1 pear (around 170 grams)
  • Fresh Mint (between 5-10 grams, that's a lot for 1 serving)
Okay, I decided to add fresh mint since it's hot outside (not right now but the temperature will go up) and because I have a lot of it.

Last year, I made a garden in my backyard. Something small using 2x6 untreated. I was thinking that I could see how it goes and if I really like it, I might upgrade to cedar planks. It's a bottomless box sitting directly on the ground.

I had a few herbs last year and I got mint that grew in the garden bed and outside. So, I will be using that mint all summer. It's peppermint. I also had coriander that came back and dill from last year. My boxes are holding so far so no need to change them right now. They probably will last a few years I would say.

Anyways, fresh mint. It was nice but I picked big leaves which are not as fragrant as smaller leaves. I will need to revisit this next week.

My first attempt at overnight oats and it looks like I nailed it.

250g Soy Milk
50g Oats
2 Tbsp Chia Seed
1 Tbsp Vanilla Paste
1 tsp Maple Syrup
1 pinch Salt
1 handful of frozen Blackberries

15hrs in the fridge. 30s in the microwave to take the chill off. Might try some almond slivers next time.

IMG_0852.jpeg

Tweeted the mix slightly today.

250g Soy Milk
50g plain Oats
2 Tbsp Chia Seed
1 Tbsp LSA meal
1 tsp Vanilla Paste
1 tsp Maple Syrup
1 tsp Pipeta seeds
1 tsp Sunflower seeds
1 pinch Salt
Dash of Cinnamon
Handful frozen Blackberries
Handful frozen Blueberries

I’m pretty happy with this. The nuts and seeds have added some fat and texture to the mix.

IMG_0869.jpeg

Luc

Staff member
I had to google LSA (Linseed, Sunflower seed mix). Are you using a mix that you do yourself or do you have an already mixed mix (mixed-mixed) bag? If you make it yourself, what's your ratio (50-50?)?

I know pipeta or pepita seeds. Pumpkin seeds. They don't go too mushy-mushy (soft)?

Luc

Staff member
Carrot cake overnight oats.

Sometimes, prep is everything.

As a side note. I subscribed to one of those fruits and veggies boxes that are "not suitable for sale" in a grocery store. Some of the stuff looks better than my local grocery store. I seriously do not know why there are any issues with anything that I receive in the box.

Anyways. I had carrots and they were really sweet so I decided to re-do the carrot cake overnight oats. Slightly modified recipe

• 40 grams of quick oats
  • 10 grams of hemp seeds
  • 10 grams of Chia seeds
  • 50 grams of shredded carrots
  • 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
  • 10 grams of raw grated ginger
  • 50 grams of red, seedless grapes (very sweet also)
  • 1 Forelle pear (I had to eat it as it was getting old but it didn't have much flavors).
So, I got a new toy, a rotating mandoline. I bought a cheap one on Amazon (30$ cdn instead of 50$). I used it for the carrots and ginger. Worked well.

Overall, since the carrot was smaller it blended better (I used the smallest drum to cut the carrot).

Luc

Staff member
Today was a pomegranate overnight oats. I received two pomegranates in my subscription fruit/veggie box so I used one. I normally do not buy pomegranates as they are either overpriced and/or don't look good. I also find them a pain to prepare compared to berries, bananas, apples, or pears.

What do you expect? I'm getting older so I get grumpy about small things! :lol:

Anyways, I was pleasantly surprised. Those little pits were very sweet and added a good texture. I will receive more pomegranates tomorrow in my box so I will make another one (most likely). It was high in calories (this morning) so I will make a better version next week and post about it.

Luc

Staff member
This week is:
  • Watermelon-Strawberries
  • Banana-Orange (using the orange instead of the zest). Hopefully, the almond milk survives...
  • Pomegranate-watermelon
I looked at my fruit/veggie box for next week and I will get peaches. So, peach cobbler next week!

Luc

Staff member
Banana-Orange report.

I made the overnight oats using a full banana and an orange (no zest, just the orange without the peel). It tasted like a banana overnight oats. I barely tasted the orange. The milk (almond) was ok, no issues on that side.

I believe that next time if I want the fiber/vitamins from the orange, I will need to add some zest to the Microplane. I'm thinking of using some of my lemons next week to do the classic blueberry/lemon combo that I often see in the overnight oats posts!

Luc

Staff member
Peach Cobbler (2023 edition since the grocery store has some that are fresher and didn't travel too far).

• 40 grams of quick oats
  • 15 grams of Ground Flax seeds
  • 180 grams of peaches diced (that was 3, really small peaches).
  • 7 grams of honey (1 tsp about)
I was happy with the result. It was much better than last year's frozen peach cobbler. The peaches that I had were ripe but I believe that I will get better peaches in the next few weeks. So, I might not need the honey.

Luc

Staff member
Blueberries lemon overnight oats.
  • 40 grams of quick oats
  • 15 grams of Ground Flax seeds
  • 150 grams of blueberries
  • Zest from 1 lemon
  • 1 tsp of cinnamon
  • 7 grams of honey (1 tsp about)

Blueberries are currently in season so I use fresh blueberries. The lemon adds a nice fresh touch. Definitely worth a try!

Top Bottom