What's new

Oats - Overnight oats that is!

I take a cup of steel cut oats, soak in milk with berries a dash of vanilla extract and honey. Add a sprinkle of cinnamon. Put this in a bowl with a lid in the fridge over night. Then the next morning-wala!!
Is it ready to eat the next morning, or do you need to cook it?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Is it ready to eat the next morning, or do you need to cook it?

I did not find that steel cut oats worked well if you don't plan to cook them before or after. I use rolled oats (best texture) and sometimes quick oats (depending on the sales that I can find). I do not cook them before or after. I simply mix my 3 bowls on Sunday and I eat them on Monday/Wednesday/Friday morning.

I did not find that steel cut oats worked well if you don't plan to cook them before or after. I use rolled oats (best texture) and sometimes quick oats (depending on the sales that I can find). I do not cook them before or after. I simply mix my 3 bowls on Sunday and I eat them on Monday/Wednesday/Friday morning.
Yes, I've done the rolled oats overnight soak as you described. I tried the overnight steel cut oats last night and it didn't work. Had to cook them this morning

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I've been experimenting since reading this thread. Currently:
tsp milled flax seed
tsp chia seeds
1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill rolled oats
3 pinches of sea salt (I know - how big is a pinch? Not too big is the best I can do)
A few raisins and some sunflower seeds (not too many - amount doesn't seem to matter much)
tbsp dried mixed berries
2 heaping tsp powdered peanut butter
Dash of cinnamon
Almond milk to cover ingredients and an extra inch (small mason jar)
Refrigerate overnight

Before eating add:
3 tsp chopped walnuts
Dried bananas as a substitute for the berry mix
Dash of honey

I moved the walnuts to the morning as I like the added crunch. The dried bananas also provide a little crunch, but they have added sugar (and my pants keep telling me I don't need added sugar), so I don't think I will be replacing those.

I'm happy with everything but the fruit. I've tried chopping up some dates (not bad, but not great), adding fresh blueberries when I have them (not a consistent supply), so that part of the process is still under experimentation.

Reactions: Luc

Luc

Staff member
Next update.

I read somewhere that Overnight oats were not that great since they are mainly carbs. I don't think Carbs are evil and I think that a more balanced meal means having a bit of the 3 groups (until someone creates a fourth group to complicate things... That being Carbs/Fats/Proteins).

Now, I keep a close eye on my macros using MyFitnessPal and it's true that depending on if I put, let's say, protein powder, I get a higher protein in my meal. The other thing that I measured was to put, for the same amount of calories, 0% Greek yogurt. What I noticed, Greek yogurt has a tiny bit more protein than my protein powder. Not much but a gram or two for the same amount of calories (not volume). So, I've doubled my Greek yogurt (200 grams) and removed my protein powder. The Proteins were at 40 grams in my overnight oats this morning(total). Which is pretty good.

I'm not about to throw stuff out the window so I will finish my protein powder but I believe that Greek Yogurt will be the best substitution. I might need to add some honey but so far, I didn't. I got a bag of dried sultanas at Costco and only 10 grams of these were enough to make the whole thing very sweet.

I also found a cottage cheese locally that has 0.2gr of fat and over 20 grams of protein per 100 grams. I will try to make the cheesecake Overnight Oats with it.

Finally, Baked oats. I am currently experimenting with batch cooking (or meal prep) to save time during the week. I mainly do the "Buffet" style where I prepare some ingredients and it's an assembly after that.

I will try a small batch of baked oats using my Ninja Foodi and see how it comes out. Since it takes 40-45 mins to cook, I might not do that very often.

I have a little crockpot that I cook steel cut oats in overnight. One cup oats, 4 cups water and set on low when I go to bed. I add things to the bowl to add some variety. Recipe says it’s 4 servings but with adding granola, nuts, raisins or whatever I’m feeling like that morning stretches it to 5 days worth of breakfasts.

Luc

Staff member
I randomly clicked on the Quaker oats website and they have a few overnight oats recipes. I tried the Kiwi Key Lime pie recipe.

The recipe itself was okay, I used slivered almonds instead of graham crackers.

I was an idiot and used the potato peeler to get the lime zest. I got too much of the white part and the whole thing was bitter. A tablespoon of honey later, it was okay but not great.

I will try that one again this week but I will use the micro plane this time and make sure that I only get the green part of the lime. Also, I don't think that the lime juice is required (lime (acid) + dairy (greek yogurt) = curdles I believe). Some may say that's how you make cheese...

Anyways, to be continued...

Luc

Staff member
Huevos Rancheros oats!

Things don't always go to plan and today, I decided to prepare one of my favourite breakfasts, Huevos Rancheros using oats instead of bread or tortilla.

It still needs a bit of tweaking but the heart is there...

• 40 grams of quick oats (I needed something quick)
  • 150 ml of water
Those 2, 90 seconds in the microwave. While it cooks, I pan-fried one egg.

When the oats came out, I mixed the oats with
  • 10 grams of chia seeds (to thicken the mixture a bit)
  • 10 grams of hemp hearts (I have a huge bag that I need to finish, so, 10 grams at the time)
I then added the rest on top
  • 1 avocado
  • 30 grams of feta crumbled
  • 1/4 cup of salsa
  • A bit of pickled red onions
  • The cooked egg
  • dash of cumin
  • dash of paprika
Start to finish, between 5-7 minutes.

I was missing coriander leaves. I might try to add a few pinto beans or black beans next time.

Result? Not bad at all. It's not how I'm used to eating oats but that's okay. I had peanut butter and strawberries overnight oats this morning but I figured, it's no worse than having bread for breakfast and then for lunch.

Luc

Staff member
I tried the key lime pie using my zester this time (i.e. the proper tool to get the zest) and it was much nicer. A bit of honey is required here but overall, very good.

This week:
  • Monday - Peanut butter(PB&me) and strawberries
  • Wednesday - from the Quaker website - Moka coffee. Basically 1 espresso and one banana and a lot of cinnamon. I know that Moka is with cocoa powder but I'm not a fan of cocoa so I skipped it. I will need honey in that one, I'm fairly sure but I shall see Wednesday.
  • Friday - I keep the Apple Crumble alive this week again. Having chunks of apples is much better than apple sauce. I sliced a full green apple this week (those are my favorite) and mixed it with 10 grams of dry sultanas (Sunmaid dry raisins) and a few blueberries. Lots of cinnamon on top! I tried different apples (autumn crisp, Ambrosia, spartan, and gala so far). When the apple is really fresh (lots of crunches) it's ending the week very nicely.
If you haven't tried overnight oats yet, I would suggest that you do, oats a more versatile than I thought!

Luc

Staff member
Moka Overnight oats (no cocoa).
  • 40 grams of quick oats
  • 100ml of Fairlife 0% milk
  • 10 grams of slivered almonds
  • 10 grams of hemp seeds
  • 10 grams of Chia seeds
  • 200 grams of plain Greek yogurt (I use lactose-free and 0%)
  • 2 oz of espresso
  • 1 banana (for volume, around 110-120 grams)
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon of honey
I ended up adding honey as just like that, the banana wasn't sweet enough but I could barely taste the banana.

Overall, very good. I added less milk since I had extra liquids (i.e. Espresso). I would probably do it again but I like my berries quite a bit and that PB&me peanut butter... I will see if I don't do something else with this mix.

I'm getting close to finishing my Hemp seeds bag. I have a flax seeds bag after that to use. I don't know if I will keep the hemp or flax when they are done. I might double up on the PB&me. I don't know yet...

Luc

Staff member
From the library, I got a recipe book that contains a few "one plate meals" which are interesting for when I make lunch.

I saw a Banana-orange-honey combo. So, I made it on Sunday and ate it this morning.

Banana Orange Oats
  • 40 grams of quick oats
  • 100ml of Cashew milk unsweetened (vanilla flavour)
  • 10 grams of slivered almonds
  • 10 grams of hemp seeds
  • 10 grams of Chia seeds
  • 200 grams of plain Greek yogurt (I use lactose-free and 0%)
  • 1 banana (around 110-120 grams)
  • Zest from 1 orange (I used the zester)
  • 19 grams of Protein powder (vanilla)
  • 1 teaspoon of honey
Overall, not bitter at all. With the honey, it was really good. To be honest, the protein powder changed the flavours a bit too much. This one, I'm making it again for sure!

Like many of you, I want to have an easy and relatively healthy breakfast. I really don't like the texture of instant or rolled oats, so I only use steel-cut, but they need more time to soften. Thus, I have a different take on overnight oats and I make several days worth at a time. Here's what I do...

Before bed, I get the water boiling, about 3:1, water:eek:ats, maybe a little heavy on the water. When it boils I throw in the oats, cover the pan, and turn off the heat. Then off to bed. In the morning I have many days of oats ready to go. I put one day's portion into a bowl and the rest in the fridge. I microwave that day's portion and then throw in a bit of water and toppings - berries, brown sugar, pecans, whatever you like. Then I have several more days of oats in the fridge, so I only have to do the overnight every 5 days or so.

Luc

Staff member
Someone I know makes it in the slow cooker overnight (with steel-cut oats). I tried it and it was good, but, rolled oats are easier for me. The texture is great. I add chia seeds which add to the texture too.

For a minute, I thought you put the steel-cut oats in boiling water for maybe 10 minutes and then put them in the refrigerator.

For a minute, I thought you put the steel-cut oats in boiling water for maybe 10 minutes and then put them in the refrigerator.

No, you just leave them in the covered pot overnight. In the morning they are perfectly cooked. So it is just a few minutes of prep for several days of oats. Efficiency with breakfast means I can devote more time to the shave. :)

Luc

Staff member
Last week, I tried the piña colada again. I used real milk (i.e. cow's milk, skim, 0%) and made it Sunday, and ate it Friday morning.

After a tablespoon or so of honey, it wasn't bitter but the bitterness was still there. So, similar to the Coconut "milk" experiment where it also turned bitter, I believe with milk I tasted the effect of pineapple's bromelain on milk's casein.

So, long story short, the pineapple enzymes eat the milk casein and the result is bitter. From what I could find there are 2 solutions that I could put in place if I want to do this again.

Plan A -> Cook the pineapple before using it. Some say that a canned pineapple would be pasteurized (cooked) so neutralized. However, considering that I can't get "no sugar added" and pineapple is sweet enough already, I will skip this option (I know, I can cook the pineapple in a pan or in the microwave but let's see plan B.

Plan B -> Make the overnight oats but keep the pineapple separate from the rest (i.e. in a different container). I will add it at the very last minute, just before I eat it Wednesday morning. The enzymes won't have enough time to act (well, it will be too late).

Banana Orange overnight oats are scheduled for Friday, no protein powder this time. I had apples/blueberries this morning.

Luc

Staff member
Pineapple and Coconut (Pina Colada) was a success. Well, better than last week. I used frozen pineapple and kept it in a separate container. I mixed the pineapple at the last minute. No bitterness, so that enzyme is guilty as the rest of the overnight oat was made last week.

The pineapple lacked sweetness, a fresh pineapple in season would have been better. A drop of honey (again) and it was perfect. I will wait for the pineapple to be back in season so that I can buy a fresh one and use that next time. Overall, really good.

Luc

Staff member
This week is:
  • Blueberries with protein powder oats (Monday)
  • Peanut butter (powder), banana with strawberries oats (Wednesday)
  • Apple/Cinnamon oats (Friday)
The Apple Cinnamon combo is a favorite at the moment. I will experiment with Ginger/nutmeg for the apple crumble next week (this week is already done).

Luc

Staff member
I found an old bag of frozen raspberries in the freezer yesterday. Pretty much everything is raspeberry based this week.

Top Bottom