What's new

Not all razors do well with all soaps

I have discovered that not all razors, or even razor blades, do well with all soaps. Sometimes, when a razor or a blade is not doing as well as might be expected, simply changing the soap can often fix the issue. I have found this to be true with DE safety razor blades and especially with straight razors and shavettes. I noticed that using X blade in a DE razor and then changing to XX blade might give a less than stellar shave, but changing the soap might (not always) fix the problem.

I will even add that a favorite soap might not work when changing to a different type of razor. For example, using a popular soap or cream with a DE razor and X brand of blades and then transitioning to a straight razor often results in poor shaves for me. Simply changing the soap helps me get a good shave.

This is a shaving variable that I believe to be true. I won't be dogmatic and say it is always the case. Nothing can fix a poor, dull blade. However, I think it is often true. I know it is true for certain when moving from a DE to a straight razor.

Have any of you noticed this?

I have discovered that not all razors, or even razor blades, do well with all soaps. Sometimes, when a razor or a blade is not doing as well as might be expected, simply changing the soap can often fix the issue. I have found this to be true with DE safety razor blades and especially with straight razors and shavettes. I noticed that using X blade in a DE razor and then changing to XX blade might give a less than stellar shave, but changing the soap might (not always) fix the problem.

I will even add that a favorite soap might not work when changing to a different type of razor. For example, using a popular soap or cream with a DE razor and X brand of blades and then transitioning to a straight razor often results in poor shaves for me. Simply changing the soap helps me get a good shave.

This is a shaving variable that I believe to be true. I won't be dogmatic and say it is always the case. Nothing can fix a poor, dull blade. However, I think it is often true. I know it is true for certain when moving from a DE to a straight razor.

Have any of you noticed this?
I believe you have it the other way round. The blade is the main factor, not the razor.

My experience is that if a soap can make a decent lather, then the blade (DE or straight) will shave the whiskers as well as the edge allows. A good slick lather from any soap will prepare your beard for shaving. Getting a good, close, comfortable shave from that point is really down to the metal. There is no alchemy between razors and soaps.

I think it's the density of the foam and the consistency of the soap.
Here, for example, even with shaving creams - Arco and Nivea. There is a big difference. Skin gets tired of the blade with Arco
This has been my experience as well.

I find that my Henson razor "floats" above the skin when my lather is too dense. I have to exert a fair amount of pressure in this situation. With the same lather (the same shave), my Razorock Gamechanger glides and cuts as intended.

It's one more variable to consider when you select a razor from your quiver ;-)

... Thom

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I bowl lather. I'm too new to this wet shaving thing to come to any conclusions worth posting, really. I use a variety of great unscented soaps. The lather looks the same every time, regardless of soap.. because I make it look that way.

I have found skin prep makes a difference for me. Again, for me.. showering before I shave, using the PAA Cube 2.0 in the shower softens up my whiskers.... I also use a pre-shave after the shower, leaving it on my face while I lather up the soap/cream. Lots of people don't find this necessary but I've tried it both ways.

I shower before I shave because I do some skin post-shave treatments that would just wash off if I showered after. Again, personal preference.

DE blades? I have some good ones based on the shave masters here. All of them work very well in all my razors, at this point, with the exception of the Kai blades that don't work well in a Wolfman because of how it holds the blades by the outer tabs...

Razor? I have found a difference there and am thinning the herd to only razors that get me into that Zen shaving zone and are a pleasure to use. I haven't tried them all by any stretch but the ones I have are amazing for me.

I bowl lather. I'm too new to this wet shaving thing to come to any conclusions worth posting, really. I use a variety of great unscented soaps. The lather looks the same every time, regardless of soap.. because I make it look that way.

I have found skin prep makes a difference for me. Again, for me.. showering before I shave, using the PAA Cube 2.0 in the shower softens up my whiskers.... I also use a pre-shave after the shower, leaving it on my face while I lather up the soap/cream. Lots of people don't find this necessary but I've tried it both ways.

I shower before I shave because I do some skin post-shave treatments that would just wash off if I showered after. Again, personal preference.

DE blades? I have some good ones based on the shave masters here. All of them work very well in all my razors, at this point, with the exception of the Kai blades that don't work well in a Wolfman because of how it holds the blades by the outer tabs...

Razor? I have found a difference there and am thinning the herd to only razors that get me into that Zen shaving zone and are a pleasure to use. I haven't tried them all by any stretch but the ones I have are amazing for me.
You are older than me and I started shaving in 1969 (I had a beard early). You had to have started shaving with a DE razor. I'm sure you have many years of shaving experience from which to draw.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
You are older than me and I started shaving in 1969 (I had a beard early). You had to have started shaving with a DE razor. I'm sure you have many years of shaving experience from which to draw.
From 1973, when I returned home from Indonesia, I used a Gillette cartridge razor until February of last year (2022) and truth be told, I was getting what I thought were good shaves. I used a modified two pass routine, though I didn't reapply the canned good of my choice. The last one I used and still have is the Gillette Fusion Power. The vibration did reduce the surface tension and shaved better for me.

At the time it was introduced, I was selling cleaning equipment with vibration to aid in the process.... for printed circuit boards along with automation for the assembly of printed circuit boards. It was and still is, a very niche market.

This has been my experience as well.

I find that my Henson razor "floats" above the skin when my lather is too dense. I have to exert a fair amount of pressure in this situation. With the same lather (the same shave), my Razorock Gamechanger glides and cuts as intended.

It's one more variable to consider when you select a razor from your quiver ;-)

... Thom
I think after reading so many posts that people are obsessed with building a very dense and therefore dry lather that is to much of a barrier. The broad face of the Henson is better suited to a wetter and slicker lather or gel. I have a Henson ++ and that is what I have found. When I used to use a brush and traditional soaps I never spent that time whipping up lather. It might be fun but I don’t think it helps very much, quite the opposite actually.

My experience is that if a soap can make a decent lather, then the blade (DE or straight) will shave the whiskers as well as the edge allows. A good slick lather from any soap will prepare your beard for shaving. Getting a good, close, comfortable shave from that point is really down to the metal. There is no alchemy between razors and soaps.
That would imply that lather's cushioning only affects the razor, and never the blade.

I find that counterintuitive, bordering on implausible. Whenever I've read about cushioning on forums it sounded like people were thinking of the blade.

But I must admit I'm starting from an assumption and haven't thought it through or tested.

Off the top of my head, wouldn't a DE razor that held the blade loosely allow lather to cushion the blade?

I think after reading so many posts that people are obsessed with building a very dense and therefore dry lather that is to much of a barrier. The broad face of the Henson is better suited to a wetter and slicker lather or gel. I have a Henson ++ and that is what I have found. When I used to use a brush and traditional soaps I never spent that time whipping up lather. It might be fun but I don’t think it helps very much, quite the opposite actually.
Yup, this is one reason I took to face lathering. I tend to stop much more quickly than when bowl lathering.

Even with this, Cella and Haslinger has a narrow window where the lather quickly transitions from thick and slick to slightly thinner. As we've both observed, the Henson prefer the thinner side of this continuum.

I was using my Gamechanger for a couple of weeks and it's less prone to this hydroplaning. Upon returning to my Henson is I was caught a bit by surprise and had to hydrate my lather a bit more.

All of those lather still life photos people take may be pretty, but they encourage building a sticky lather, even for a non-Henson.

That would imply that lather's cushioning only affects the razor, and never the blade.

I find that counterintuitive, bordering on implausible. Whenever I've read about cushioning on forums it sounded like people were thinking of the blade.

But I must admit I'm starting from an assumption and haven't thought it through or tested.

Off the top of my head, wouldn't a DE razor that held the blade loosely allow lather to cushion the blade?

Try a Henson. It seems as if the flat surface of the razor contributes to this.

... Thom

Yup, this is one reason I took to face lathering. I tend to stop much more quickly than when bowl lathering.

Even with this, Cella and Haslinger has a narrow window where the lather quickly transitions from thick and slick to slightly thinner. As we've both observed, the Henson prefer the thinner side of this continuum.

I was using my Gamechanger for a couple of weeks and it's less prone to this hydroplaning. Upon returning to my Henson is I was caught a bit by surprise and had to hydrate my lather a bit more.

All of those lather still life photos people take may be pretty, but they encourage building a sticky lather, even for a non-Henson.

... Thom
I use Jack Black Beard Lube which is translucent and applied like moisturizer and the Henson iis perfect with it.

I find that counterintuitive, bordering on implausible.
To elaborate, if cushioning only affects the razor and not the blade, then I don't see how it is useful. Attempting to elevate the blade off the skin by elevating the razor is too imprecise. You would end up with random stubble length.

To elaborate, if cushioning only affects the razor and not the blade, then I don't see how it is useful. Attempting to elevate the blade off the skin by elevating the razor is too imprecise. You would end up with random stubble length.
It's not an either/or proposition. A thick lather consistency "floats" a Henson well before the blade is close enough to the skin for cushioning to come into consideration.

... Thom

Top Bottom