What's new

Northern and Southern Foods

I'd like to try barbeque from some of the "meccas" -- St Louis, KC, Texas, etc. We have some award-winning barbeque joints up here, but I've always wondered how they stack up...

You guys from outside of New England ever heard of/ had "American Chop Suey"? I think it's pretty regional New England. Basically a skillet cooked Italian tomato meat sauce served over elbow macaroni. Similar to a Sloppy Joe sauce, but usually with more chunks of tomato and less sweet.

Do they have "Hoodsies" outside of New England? I've never seen them anywhere else in my limited travels.

Seeing as how I'm in the Midwest, I'd love to get ahold of some shoreline seafood. Maryland crab doused in Old Bay sounds just about right.

You guys from outside of New England ever heard of/ had "American Chop Suey"? I think it's pretty regional New England. Basically a skillet cooked Italian tomato meat sauce served over elbow macaroni. Similar to a Sloppy Joe sauce, but usually with more chunks of tomato and less sweet.

In Montana, we call it "goulash". In North Dakota it's called "hot dish". A few variations, but same basic concept!

Do they have "Hoodsies" outside of New England? I've never seen them anywhere else in my limited travels.

I was wondering how long it would be before someone brought up American Chop Suey! I think the name is regional but the concept is all over. I like putting vegetables in mine - orange pepper, mushrooms, stir in some spinach at the end. If you can find it try adding some berbere, an Ethiopian spice blend, to it. I believe Penzey's now carries it.

Hoodsies! Now you're making me a bit homesick. Never seen them outside New England. Or Cains mayonnaise, for that matter.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I'd like to try barbeque from some of the "meccas" -- St Louis, KC, Texas, etc. We have some award-winning barbeque joints up here, but I've always wondered how they stack up...

My oldest spent 4 years in boarding school in New Hampshire. I visited a couple times and ate some incredible eggplant in Vermont. We went to many, many different restaurants that my daughter recommended. Restaurants in Maine, Mass, Vt, Ct, and in Canada. What wonderful food!
Best of all, I learned where all of my retirement money was going!

good in coffee,and all kinds of other dishes.it enhances chile powder and is good for you too.
Oh don't get me wrong. I like cinnamon, just not in my chili. Maybe it would be better if it were homemade, but after trying it that one time, I just have no desire to try it ever again.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Cinnamon is wonderful in rice. A couple of sticks added at the beginning makes for a hot spicy rice which goes wonderfully with a goat curry.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Cinnamon is wonderful in rice. A couple of sticks added at the beginning makes for a hot spicy rice which goes wonderfully with a goat curry.

Actually, I like this too. Just a sprinkle is all it takes.

Cinnamon toast, is it a north or south invention? One of my favorites.

I had not heard of American chop suey or hoodsies.

I love Cincinnati Chili. I have not had it in Cincinnati, but Hard Times Café in the DC area does a version and I cooked the version America's Test Kitchen had. I think cinnamon really works in that recipe. Rather different, but the whole technique of making it was rather different.

Nu Way, Made Rite and the other loose meat sandwiches sound right for what I was thinking of.

Interesting that scrapple is thought of as Southern. It is somehow associated with Philadelphia, too. I think of it as sort of Southern, but more likely German in origin. I love scrapple.

Lobster rolls are starting to show up lots of places, but I would say they are an excellent example of a local "dish."

Maryland crabcakes and crabs with Old Bay, although fewer crabs are local these days. Maryland crab soup.

We do lots of Blue Crab in Charleston SC, but don't use Old Bay.

I've never heard of Hoodsies, but I looked them up. We had similar ice cream cups when I was growing up. PET branded I think. You had to eat them with one of those flat wooden spoon things.

And I love Cincinnati chili. In Ohio, everyone has a slightly different, but extremely secret family recipe for it.

Last edited:
...Interesting that scrapple is thought of as Southern. It is somehow associated with Philadelphia, too. I think of it as sort of Southern, but more likely German in origin. I love scrapple...

Me too! I believe it's origin is Pennsylvania Dutch, and from what I've seen it's rarely seen in the "wild" (I.e., at restaurants) outside of Penn and NJ. I've never seen it in a menu on my few visits south.
I have family in NJ, and there are lots of brands to choose from at the stores, but here at home it's Jones brand or nothing (Jones is pretty good so it's OK) and only one supermarket chain carries it.

Me too! I believe it's origin is Pennsylvania Dutch, and from what I've seen it's rarely seen in the "wild" (I.e., at restaurants) outside of Penn and NJ. I've never seen it in a menu on my few visits south.
I have family in NJ, and there are lots of brands to choose from at the stores, but here at home it's Jones brand or nothing (Jones is pretty good so it's OK) and only one supermarket chain carries it.

Wikipedia says it is considered an ethic food of the Pennsylvania Dutch, who also call it panhass. Wikipedia also says "scrapple is strongly associated with rural areas surrounding Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington D.C., eastern Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, eastern Virginia, and the Delmarva Peninsula."

That makes sense to me. My father, who grew up in rural northwest Virginia talked about it being called panhas.

I tended to think of it as southern, I suppose, because the only places I have seen it around DC are breakfast places that offer grits, too. Soul food places, I suppose. Rapa is the only brand I see around DC and not every grocery store carries it.

I suppose we have not brought up Pennsylvania Dutch specialties. Shoofly pie comes to mind. I think of most Pennsylvania Dutch specialties as really just German ethnic food.

Nope, scrapple definitely isn't a southern thing...at least a "deep south" or southeastern thing. We do like to grill up leftover slices of meatloaf for meatloaf sandwiches though!

Nope, scrapple definitely isn't a southern thing...at least a "deep south" or southeastern thing. We do like to grill up leftover slices of meatloaf for meatloaf sandwiches though!

I wish my Mother was still around. I would be asking her. She grew up in far west NC, almost in Georgia, almost in Tennessee for that matter, in the midst of the Great Smoky Mountains. Her Mother was a fabulous at home cook. (Not that she was not!)

How about this one for a local specialty: wilted lettuce. Fresh from the garden, most delicate, early leaf lettuce, drizzled with hot bacon drippings, vinegar, scallions, and a little sugar. I have only had this dish from my Mother (I assume it is something she eat growing up) and at a high-end French-type restaurant. I know the French do similar things with spinach, but the delicacy of the lettuce here makes it a different concept. The most ephemeral of dishes. Only at its peak for minutes after the application of the dressing. indeed, I do not think the kind of lettuce I am thinking of travels at all, and is only available for picking at the very beginning of the season, then it turns tough and bitter. I think I read somewhere that dish is found in various parts of Appalachia and not elsewhere.

I suppose ramps are pretty much a local specialty.

How about black walnut cake? I have only seen that in NC. Maybe black walnuts are not that widely distributed geographically. Black walnuts are a pretty earthy, strong-flavored item, that for the most part does not attract me. The cake I am thinking of is made with an intense lemon sauce pour over something like an icing only transparent and not as thick. A genius-level combination of flavors. I miss my Mother so much! Food was love in my family in some ways.

Top Bottom