What's new

Next next generation synthetics, new & improved

What is next up? Post Tuxedo, whatever, next generation Muhle V3, new fangled synthetic brush??

Is there the next new thing just around the corner, the latest, greatest must-buy synthetic brush ready to launch any day now? The brush that will make all others obsolete?

LOL

The latest knot I’ve heard about is the SynBad knot from AP ShaveCo. It looks sort of like 2-band badger, and it is supposed to splay more easily than the tuxedo. People seem to find it to be a good middle ground.

Yaqi offers a "Brown Mew" knot. I imagine something was lost in the translation. It's a brown fiber with white, tapered tips. It has very little glue bump and exhibits the best splay of any other synthetic I've tried.

The latest knot I’ve heard about is the SynBad knot from AP ShaveCo. It looks sort of like 2-band badger, and it is supposed to splay more easily than the tuxedo. People seem to find it to be a good middle ground.

Yaqi offers a "Brown Mew" knot. I imagine something was lost in the translation. It's a brown fiber with white, tapered tips. It has very little glue bump and exhibits the best splay of any other synthetic I've tried.

The synbad and mew brown are the same. And it's a great knot indeed! I wouldn't say it's next generation but it's magically a hybrid of tuxedo and cashmere. Tips are like a cloud but still has backbone, not like the cashmere which has no backbone at all (not a bad thing, I'm just pointing out differences).

I couldn't imagine a better brush than my synthetic Yaqi.

It is fabulous.

Badgers and the like are old and outdated tech now.

No need for soaking a synth. They dont degrade or change with time. They dry quickly, are super soft and can really pull the soap of the puck. They are also fantastic for getting the soap to lather with the fine and dense knot.

And they don't stink...

I have one in 24mm, has been in constant use since arriving a few weeks ago. Superb brush, seems to be able to make great lather out of any soap or cream i use.

I was a die hard Boar fan, the very first brush I bought was a synthetic (maggards) and I did not care for it, for well over a year I was pretty much a super fan of Semogue Boar brushes, on a whim I purchased a Yaqi R1730 Sagrada Familia Tuxedo Synthetic, and I am blown away, I have used it everyday for the last 2+ months and it is a wonderful brush, no soak time, dries super fast, silky soft touch and holds a ton of lather. I used to use the semogue brushes and a lather bowl everyday, since moving over to the Yaqi I have not used a lather bowl, it just works...so much that I have purchased an exact duplicate brush to keep in my den just incase I ever need another one.

Really, I don't see how they could possibly be any better than what's available right now.
But then again, the US patent office issued a statement that basically said that every useful thing that could be invented already had been - in the early 20th century.

Really, I don't see how they could possibly be any better than what's available right now.
But then again, the US patent office issued a statement that basically said that every useful thing that could be invented already had been - in the early 20th century.

Sounds right to me!

I use badger, boar, and synthetic brushes. I prefer quality badger brushes for how they perform and feel.

Synthetics have come a long way. My first synthetic was a Parker that I bought in 2012. It was terrible and you can read about it here. My next purchase was an H.I.S. synthetic. It was a little better but splayed so much it would splatter the mirror. To save my marriage :001_rolle and to keep mirrors clean, I gave this brush to my oldest son. Since then I have purchased many versions of synthetics. Yes, they have improved since 2012. The Muhle Silvertip Fibre knots, in particular, are very good.

At the present time, I have 19 badger brushes, 7 synthetic brushes, and 5 boar brushes. My top five brushes are all badgers and none of my brushes smell.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I’ve got a few synthetics and they rarely get used. What it would take for ME to use synthetics a lot more is for them to hold water/lather in the knot like badger hair does. The way synthetic brushes fling water and lather all over the place turns me off.

The way synthetic brushes fling water and lather all over the place turns me off.

This is the biggest drawback of synthetics, for me. Take a synthetic fiber, or bunch of fibers and pull it down away from the knot. When you let go- sproioioing it springs back to its original position. Add soap and you’ve got a messy situation. Natural hair has more give and doesn’t have this problem.

This is why I’m interested in this new SynBad/Brown Mew that claims to have more natural splay. We’ll see!!!

This is why I’m interested in this new SynBad/Brown Mew that claims to have more natural splay. We’ll see!!!

I bought a 24mm SynBad and liked it so much that I ordered the 30mm version. That one rules the roost now. It seems just like I remember my dearly departed badger brush. But I don't have a badger brush on hand to do a direct comparison, just my memory from 2 years ago (when I switched to synthetic brushes).

Sent via my Samsung

I bought a 24mm SynBad and liked it so much that I ordered the 30mm version. That one rules the roost now. It seems just like I remember my dearly departed badger brush. But I don't have a badger brush on hand to do a direct comparison, just my memory from 2 years ago (when I switched to synthetic brushes).

Sent via my Samsung
It's that good?
Dammit now I kind of want one :a13:

Top Bottom