What's new

Newbie to DE razor!

Hey guys. Been a long time lurker. I've been using disposable cartridge razors my entire life. I'm 35 now. Latest I've been using has been Harry's. I got really tired of all the razor burn and ingrown hairs around my Adam's apple. I've been reading about how DE razors are great for less irritation on sensitive skin. I happened to be walking around Target the other day and saw the Van Der Hagen razor for sale. 17 dollars for a razor and 5 blades. Figured what the heck, for the price what does it hurt to try.

Got it home. I didn't buy a brush or shaving soap or anything so I took a quick shower and after grabbed my trusty Barbasol. I definitely struggled with that first shave. Was not very satisfied with how close of a shave I could get and I knicked myself 3 or 4 times. But I noticed how there was significantly less irritation and no red bumps on my neck so I quickly realized there was something to this, I just need to perfect my technique. I've shaved a couple more times since then and the quality of my shave has definitely improved. So it will get there with time.

Decided I like the direction this was going so I jumped in with both feet. Ordered a Merkur 34C, a couple of sample packs of blades, a badger brush, stand, and some Taylor of Old Bond Street sandalwood shave cream. Very anxiously awaiting everything to come so I can try it out!

My sample pack includes Astra superior platinum, personna blue, feather, Gillette silver blue, personna platinum, voskhod, derby extra, Gillette 7 o'clock, polsilver super iridium, and astra superior stainless. Just wondering which would be the best blade to start with as a newbie?

[MENTION=111724]hahler2[/MENTION] Welcome to Badger & Blade! We are happy that you found our little corner of the internet. From the looks of it, you are off to a great start and have some awesome gear. Of the blades you have mentioned, my favorites are Voskhod and Polsilver Super Iridium. Although there isn't a bad blade in the bunch. It just depends on what works for you. Thanks for signing up and once again...welcome to B&B!

Welcome to the club! Once you get your stuff, try not to change too many things at one time. You will inevitable have a less awesome shave, and you won't know why. It is hard to do at first, but try to only change one thing at a time, and stick with that combo for at least a couple of shaves before changing the next thing.

When you get situated, you should stop by the Hall of Fame, there is a link in my signature. Also, make yourself comfortable and don't be afraid to ask any questions that you may have.

Hello and welcome Great to have you out of the lurking shadows! Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

Thanks everyone. Good advice on not changing too much stuff at once. I was kind of thinking that myself. I'll probably switch to using my Merkur razor and the shave cream but continue to use the Van Der Hagen blades for a few shaves just to get a good comparison. Then start going through the sample packs.

Welcome to B&B. . I used a VDH with a Personna Blue... Very mild shave..You might also enjoy the Astra SP.
Good luck to you:thumbup1:

Just wondering which would be the best blade to start with as a newbie?
Close your eyes and pick one. That's what I'm doing with a sample collection that I ordered, LOL.

I have been leaving the Feather, Wilkinson Sword, and Astra SP out of the mix since they always pop up as favorites and figured I'd try them last. After I think trying 5 blades with 2 that I really liked, 2 that I didn't like at all, and 1 that was so-so, I couldn't wait any more and tried the Astra SP last night. Doesn't seem to be any reason to try others after the Astra SP. It was fantastic.

Welcome to B&B. While you are waiting for your gear to arrive it would be a good time to review the wealth of material on B&B. A good starting point is here. Also, take a look at the wiki and stickies.

Great gear to start up. I'm with others that say, "Pick a blade" and start. There are so many opinions on blades, and it varies with the razor it's paired with, I say, "Live the experience" and see if you can find a favorite!
Welcome to B&B.

Thanks everyone. Good advice on not changing too much stuff at once. I was kind of thinking that myself. I'll probably switch to using my Merkur razor and the shave cream but continue to use the Van Der Hagen blades for a few shaves just to get a good comparison. Then start going through the sample packs.
extremely important. ..give it time and don't rush, that way you can find the errors and improve on them.

Welcome to B&B. No worries, you'll be hooked and DE shaving like a pro in no time. Takes a few shaves, but you'll get it. The Merkur HD 34c is a very good choice, that's the razor I chose when I started wetshaving a couple of months ago, it's an awesome razor. (A lot of guys who have been wetshaving for years also use the Merkur HD 34c regularly-it's that good). And you were very wise to go with a blade sampler instead of buying a huge box of blades, believe me. You have a nice blade selection. Also, the Feathers aren't the face slicing phantom blades that some think they are. You'll see. Best of success to you friend. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Top Bottom