What's new

Newbie looking for some advice

Hi,

I recently received a very old straight edge razor from an old family friend.
Sadly it is totally rusted and beyond repair. The idea of shaving with a straight edge has always appealed to me. But, having one in my hand finally has moved me to action.

To this end I would love to start shaving with a straight edge. But, I have no idea where to start. I have looked around on various sites etc...all of them claiming that their razors are the best. I've also seen several complete kits with everything that one might need in their arsenal.
All that being said I would rather have quality pieces in every aspect.
So, my question is: What would be a good starter razor, strop ect?

Thanks!

Hi,

I recently received a very old straight edge razor from an old family friend.
Sadly it is totally rusted and beyond repair. The idea of shaving with a straight edge has always appealed to me. But, having one in my hand finally has moved me to action.

To this end I would love to start shaving with a straight edge. But, I have no idea where to start. I have looked around on various sites etc...all of them claiming that their razors are the best. I've also seen several complete kits with everything that one might need in their arsenal.
All that being said I would rather have quality pieces in every aspect.
So, my question is: What would be a good starter razor, strop ect?

Thanks!

Welcome to B&B :thumbup1:

If you are looking to get into shaving with straights, you are going to need a strop and some type of hone to keep your razors sharp with, the easiest and one of the cheaper methods is to pick up a strop and 4 sided pasted paddle from Tony Miller at http://www.thewellshavedgentleman.com/ I will tell you that you may have to wait until he gets the items in stock but it is worth it his products are top notch. No new razor you buy will be shave ready sharp unless they have them pre-honed by a honemeister, there are several people here who do honing just check out there signatures here, but the recommended way to go is to purchase a used sharpened razor either here on the b/s/t or over at straightrazorplace.com on there b/s/t forums, basically a wapi or anything made in germany is good for a first razor (stay away from zeepk) any you can usually pick one up that is also pre-honed relatively cheap. This will let you decide if it is for you as well as give you a benchmark so you will know what a properly sharpened razor feels like so if you do buy more (and if you like it you will), you will have an idea if a razor is shave ready or not, plus should you ruin your first razor and it is a used razor you won't be out much.

You didn't mention it but you will also want to get yourseld a badger brush and either some shaving soap or cream instead of using the canned goo as with purchasing a razor just get the basics now make sure it is for you, then later you can always but better/more different etc.

Here is a great guide for Straight razor use http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=28547

good luck and enjoy :biggrin:

There is also a DVD you can get at Straight Razor Place... it has everything from Buying, Parts, Honing, Stropping, eveyrthing you wold want to know :D

If you watch ebay really close, sometimes you can snag a good genco for a song. Also anything from Sheffield is good. The razors in the bst at Straight Razor Place are most usually shave ready, where the ebay razors are not. Welcome to the club!

Top Bottom