What's new

DMT Progression

Please illustrate what makes you think that.

Your sketch 1 is exactly what you describe happening. That is metal failing due to raising a burr and folding it back without breaking it off. Ive seen it. I CAN do that, if I try. I HAVE done it and posted images to prove it's user error and DMT's CAN do it when used incorrectly.

That is not present in my image because again,

It is user error.

Please illustrate what makes you think that.

Your sketch 1 is exactly what you describe happening. That is metal failing due to raising a burr and folding it back without breaking it off. Ive seen it. I CAN do that, if I try. I HAVE done it and posted images to prove it's user error and DMT's CAN do it.

That is not present in my image because again,

It is user error.
I think the image speaks for itself if someone zooms in.
It's your face. If it works for you, it works for you.

Here is what your image shows. Scale matters. Lighting matters. If you see a burr, good for you. It doesn't exist.

It would be interesting to look into this topic a bit further. I think the DMT 8000 (extra extra fine plate) might have a place for razor honing if there was a way you could eliminate any high spots/over-sized diamonds on the plate.
Even an 8k water stone will create damage that needs to be cleaned up at the finishing stage. The DMT plate just does it differently.
To me it does seem like the edge is being pushed over a little from side to side, even at this refinement level. How detrimental this is, and if this is worse then the effect of other abrasives is more difficult to determine. Less then the weight of the blade was used while honing in hand for better pressure control.

What is clear to me is that the diamonds cut deeper at the base of the bevel, and much more shallow at the apex as the edge gets thinner. This can be a good thing.

This is the same Gold Dollar razor that was shown in my previous post. Now i have refined it further using a DMT 8000 plate.
The final edge can be seen in the last photo. This was the only section of the blade i found deeper "damage"

I shaved with the edge side by side with a CV Heljestrand razor that also had a 10k edge, but was honed using a complete shapton progression.
Both edges performed quite similar. I will try the same test using two Dovo razors to make a better comparison later.

8k DMT edge.
1713944883793.png

This is after 10 strokes on the Shapton Rock Star 10k (sub micron rated)
The striations near the apex is more or less erased by the 10k. The reason why there is still deeper striations further up the bevel is because the striations are deeper as you move up the bevel. Thus, the shallow striations will get erased earlier.
1713945016297.png

Finally after a few more laps the edge is finished (aprox 10 more short strokes). As you can see there are some deeper striations that go all the way to the apex. These will not be felt during a shave.
I also spent a minimum amount of time on my 8k to avoid any accumulated effect of high spots on the plate.
There coarser striations further up the bevel will also not have any affect on the shave.
1713945180957.png

@SliceOfLife What plate are you using, and how did you brake in the plate?

My plate is well worn A4EE, but there still seems to be some diamonds that cause minor issues.
I have really beaten up my plate with knifes made with hard M390 steel.

Top Bottom