What's new

Newb to synth - what do I need to know? Break-in?

I've been very happy with my badger brushes but I had picked up this Simpson synth a few years ago and I'm only just now getting around to trying it out for the first time. What do I need to know to get the best out of a synth brush? It is so completely different from the badger brushes I'm used to.

Is there a break in for synth brushes? Anything special I need to do or just use it? Will they start to splay a little after some break in time?

The face lathering routine I use with badger doesn't work nearly as well with the synth (so far anyway) so I may need to modify my routine. My routine is not what I read others doing - but it has worked great for me with badger. I don't soak my badger, just wet the tips and load the soap as a dry paste on the tips then face lather while dipping the tips in warm water repeatedly until I get the lather just how I like it. When I try to do this same face lathering with the synth, the soap keeps running down to the base of the knot and onto the handle and I'm constantly pushing the soap back to the tips so I can lather it up - that doesn't happen with my badger brushes. I'm not a fan of bowl lathering so I hope that isn't the only or best way to use a synth brush. I'm hoping maybe I just need to break it in or learn how to use it.

I don't know what version of synth this brush uses (Platinum I'm guessing?) - can you tell from the picture? I hear synth bristles have gotten a lot better recently and maybe I have an earlier or less expensive type?

Thanks in advance for tips on using a synth :letterk1:
1715527423181.png

Last edited:

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
That looks like a Duke 3 in Platinum, and while synthetic brushes generally may have improved, I do not believe that to be the case here. There is a newer version of the Simpson Platinum fibre but from what I have read many consider it is not an improvement and prefer the older fibre like yours. Additionally, some earlier Simpson synthetic brushes seem to be lofted higher than the current models which I think makes for a much better brush which splays easier. Like you, I face lather mainly with badger, I also do not soak my badger brushes but instead I start with a barely damp brush, load a soap paste, and gradually add water as I go. The only difference for me with my Simpson synthetic is to use even less water and add it even more slowly else water can run down the handle. Here is mine, an early 54mm lofted 'Synthetic Badger' which is a delight and splays easily, the current version is 50mm. Good luck 👍

1700141943751.png

Thanks for the quick replies. Very helpful!

After I posted the question, I found a thread reviewing the exact same brush and describing the exact experience I had trying to face lather. In that post, he found several upside down bristles and after plucking them out he had a better experience. I put on my magnifiers (my eyes are 70 years old) and I don't see any upside down bristles on mine. Mine feels soft and not scritchy - it just doesn't splay yet for face lathering.

Some of the replies to the older thread were showing pictures of their platinum synth after 80 or so uses and reported that it was splaying nicely. So I'll just keep at it :)

After being a huge boar fan for a long time the last few months have seen my tastes shift such that now I'm using my synths exclusively. Go figure. Anyway, I face lather and for me the process is the same whether badger, boar, or synth. I work the brush on the puck for maybe 60 seconds and then have at it.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I don't have your particular synth, but I do have quite a few. There's lots of variety from floppy to stiff and you seem to be on the stiff end of that scale. I generally find less water is better - or at least neater - with synthetic brushes. My EVO has lots of backbone and I find the only way to splay it comfortably is on the point of my chin. I also find that back and forth strokes with the splay holds it better than circular strokes.

The STF knot is probably the closest synth to badger, but you might as well realize that badger is badger and synths are something else. They have their own requirements and advantages as well as disadvantages. Keep experimenting and you'll find the best way to make that Simpson behave. You may decide that you still prefer the badger, but it's another arrow in your quiver.

I generally find less water is better - or at least neater - with synthetic brushes.

I was going to post something similar. You might want to try much less water than you're used to. My last brush I essentially flicked the water off gently and used whatever residual was left. You'll have to experiment.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I was going to post something similar. You might want to try much less water than you're used to. My last brush I essentially flicked the water off gently and used whatever residual was left. You'll have to experiment.
Agreed. You may well need to add more, but do it in small increases. Too much water in a synth brush is a good formula for flying lather.

Top Bottom