What's new

Newb - doing great

So I did a few minutes research....actually you could spend weeks here and still not know all there is to know.

About a year ago my aunt dropped a bag of 'stuff' off as I had mentioned - what ever happened to the razors we used to play with at grandmas? I'll be forty this week and grandma died 12 years ago. Well my aunt dug up a bag of stuff.

What I found is I now have a gold tuckaway in small travel case in the rose mother of pearl, type material and by the looks of it a made in England Gillette ball end.

So my birthday last year my folks showed up with an art of shaving badger brush and a teak bowl and soap and brush razor holder. I had previously bought a boar brush and some green proraso and their with pre shave cream. I did get a new pack of blade in the back from my aunt but thought uh no - not going to try vintage blades. Used the boar brush and cream in the shower with my cartridges for the next year until this week.

Popped into a local retailer who is now carrying men's supplies in their Japanese knife wear shop and they had five or six brand of blades. Not knowing which blades to start with or really the pricing vs online I grabbed a 10 pack or merkurs, five pack or Derbys and a five pack of Astras. Said and done $15. I can live with that.

So that was Friday. Get home from work and looking at a day and halfs growth I go for it. Grab a Astra - pop it in the ball end and start a new ritual.

Hot face cloth, pre shave, soak my boar brush, lather it up and went for it.

Worked great. I'm a convert. Nuff said. No cuts or nicks. Threw on some soothing after shave cream and it went well. Well ok - there was some burn . And well on small spot where I may have been a little aggressive. It became ingrown slightly.

Had family fall photos on Saturday so touched up with a cartridge and then used the cartridge again Sunday night because of the ingrown patch. So today after another day and a half - used the Astra again. Same ritual. Money. No burn no nothing. Just a good looking and great feeling shave.

How many shaves should I expect to get for the Astra?

There that's that.../
Thanks for the community - Crash

Welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard. Blade life is different for everybody, but you can probably expect from 3 to 5 shaves per blade. Some get less, some get more.

Hello and welcome to B&B, Crash. This is a great forum full of friendly, helpful shavers. You'll learn a lot here.

Great story. Thanks for sharing and enjoy the shaves.

The Astra should last you 3-5 shaves.

Welcome and thanks for the great story!

That's a very nifty pair of heirloom razors. Once you get shaves with the Tech down, the Tuckaway will be a nice step into aggressive land should you want to visit.

I get 5-7 shaves from an Astra in a two pass shave. They are my go to blade.

Welcome to B&B! Glad you're doing well with your new routine. I haven't tried Astras (yet), but I think most would say 3-5, depending on how many passes you do each shave.

Nice to hear you're doing great. Don't you just hate how many years and how much $$ has gone by with the cartridges when this lovely pampering hobby was out there the whole time?

No regrets, my man! Semper in hostes!

Welcome to B&B. Number of shaves per blade varies from person to person depending on such factors as his beard and skin. I get three to four shaves with Astras.

Top Bottom