What's new

New Whipped Dog Two-Band

I was exchanging emails with Larry about picking-up a new WD silvertip (a friend has "borrowed" my old one) and synthetic. He indicated that he was considering adding some "High Mountain" two-bands knots to his store from a new supplier, and if I was interested, he would make me a brush. He only requested some feedback.

Unsurprisingly, I now have a new WD 24/50 "High Mountain" two-band brush with black resin handle. I've only been able to defunk, hand lather a few times, and actually use the brush just once. My observations are preliminary, at best.

The tips are very soft, just slightly less so than the regular WD silvertip, but softer than my recently purchased Semogue SOC two-band. However, even with a 50mm loft, it's not super firm or stiff. It definitely has more "give" and spay than my SOC, despite having a lower loft, and would be considered but a gentle reed bending in the summer wind compared to a stiff Shavemac D01 Two-Band. As with my SOC, I eager to see if it will soften up even more over the next few uses.

Edit: That handle is also without flaws. All "marks" are simply reflections from my lamp and camera.

$2014-09-21 02.38.10.jpg

Maaaaan, right after I went and got a silvertip from him. If only I had seen this thread before I got mine. I really want another two band

I was exchanging emails with Larry about picking-up a new WD silvertip (a friend has "borrowed" my old one) and synthetic. He indicated that he was considering adding some "High Mountain" two-bands knots to his store from a new supplier, and if I was interested, he would make me a brush. He only requested some feedback.

Checked the site and didn't see it listed, do you have to ask for it?

He is considering them, I wouldn't expect that you could ask for one right now, but it can't hurt to try.

Checked the site and didn't see it listed, do you have to ask for it?

He is considering them, I wouldn't expect that you could ask for one right now, but it can't hurt to try.

Paintfinger is correct. Larry has, or had, a limited supply of the "High Mountain" 22 and 24mm knots that he was evaluating for possible inclusion in his store. They are not listed online, and as of the time of my purchase, Larry indicated that he has not even personally tried them. He gave a few HM brushes away on Facebook, and I and possibly others purchases our own.

If you are interested, simply email Larry. If he has HM knots remaining, I'm sure he will accommodate you. Note that the HM knots and brushes, at least as of now, are priced the same as his silvertips.

In terms of backbone, how is this brush? Is it any good for face lathering?

As I indicated above, my knot is a 24/50, has a "medium" backbone (definitely more than a WD silvertip), soft tips, and splays without difficulty. I like to face lather with soft brushes, and thus far have enjoyed my WD HM brush.

By means of comparison, or instance, it has noticeably less backbone that my Semogue SOC Two-Band and nothing compared to something like a Shavemac D01 Two-Band. If you want a super-scrubby brush, this WD knot is probably not the best option.

I want it for face lathering, but something in between silvertip and boar brush. Maybe like a horse with softer tips? Just saying...

Forgive my ignorance, I am unfamiliar with the term "High Mountain". I have a WD Silvertip (24x48). How does HM compare? Thanks!

Some say it is just marketing.

Before saying anything else, there are no completely standardized grading system for badger brushes.

High Mountain sometimes means from "Manchurian" badgers. Some claim that it is actually a slightly different animal. Even if it is not, an animal living in a colder region often has denser hair. I'm inclined to think this is the factor.

That said, there seems to be a wide difference (from posters here) between one companies High Mountain and another companies High Mountain. They are not all the same.

There must be something though that makes an animal produce "two band" fur and another animal "three band" fur. Then again, some say it is all three band, only that the second band is much wider on some than others.

I have three different brands of two band knots. Two of them were labeled as Finest, and one as High Mountain. All three are somewhat different in their character.

I'm sure glad you didn't ask about High Mountain White. No one seems to really know just what it is. Call it expensive though.

I just ordered one from Larry, looking forward to it.
Just shoot him a email.

What size/loft and handle did you order?

Did Larry request feedback about the HM knot or give any indications if he intends to add the knot to his store?

I've had a very friendly email discussion with Larry about my thoughts on this knot, as well an alternative synthetic his is considering, and last we wrote, I know he was interested in additional opinions.

Also, don't forget to post pictures after your brush arrives!

Top Bottom